How do go about getting my first MMD?

I’ve spent a week or two running back and forth getting drug tested, my TWIC, physicals, etc. Now I’ve reached the point where I think I’m ready to turn in the application to my local REC, however after reviewing the application and website I’ve noticed a few inconsistencies, and a couple questions have been raised.
[ul]
[li]The application states the the oath needs to be in the presence of a coast guard official, but the website says a notary will suffice, what’s the correct way to do that?[/li][li]Do I need to take STCW BST before applying?[/li][li]Do I need to select STCW Certificate on the CG-719B?[/li][li]And where do I begin looking for an entry level job, I’ll take anything even just an internship/apprenticeship?[/li][/ul]
Any help is greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=Dil;164799]I’ve spent a week or two running back and forth getting drug tested, my TWIC, physicals, etc. Now I’ve reached the point where I think I’m ready to turn in the application to my local REC, however after reviewing the application and website I’ve noticed a few inconsistencies, and a couple questions have been raised.
[ul]
[li]The application states the the oath needs to be in the presence of a coast guard official, but the website says a notary will suffice, what’s the correct way to do that?[/li][li]Do I need to take STCW BST before applying?[/li][li]Do I need to select STCW Certificate on the CG-719B?[/li][li]And where do I begin looking for an entry level job, I’ll take anything even just an internship/apprenticeship?[/li][/ul]
Any help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The application is out of date. There is a policy letter somewhere that says you can use a notary. Take your oath to a bank; there should be a notary on hand.

You do not need STCW for an entry level credential, however, you will need the qualifications to begin working on vessels covered by the convention. Many employers will not even look at your application without Basic Safety and Security Awareness.

As far as jobs go for entry level, this is a really tough time. If you’ve been lurking here, you know that there are layoffs in the oil and gas sector which was a very good entry level route for a lot of people. You’ll have to apply wherever you can as a deckhand. Fishing boats might be a good option for you.

Also, search is your friend. Use the search function.

[QUOTE=catherder;164805]The application is out of date. There is a policy letter somewhere that says you can use a notary. Take your oath to a bank; there should be a notary on hand.

You do not need STCW for an entry level credential, however, you will need the qualifications to begin working on vessels covered by the convention. Many employers will not even look at your application without Basic Safety and Security Awareness.

As far as jobs go for entry level, this is a really tough time. If you’ve been lurking here, you know that there are layoffs in the oil and gas sector which was a very good entry level route for a lot of people. You’ll have to apply wherever you can as a deckhand. Fishing boats might be a good option for you.

Also, search is your friend. Use the search function.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Another good place for a newbie to start would be on the Great Lakes. Particularly Grand River Navigation. No STCW needed on the Lakes. But you better not have any DWI’s or you won’t get hired because you won’t be able to go to the Canadian ports.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;165174]Another good place for a newbie to start would be on the Great Lakes. Particularly Grand River Navigation. No STCW needed on the Lakes. But you better not have any DWI’s or you won’t get hired because you won’t be able to go to the Canadian ports.[/QUOTE]

I understand nothing drug/alcohol related for jobs requiring calling on canadian ports. How about misdemeanors that aren’t drug/alcohol related? I remember doing some internet searching a few months ago and the impression I got was even the most minor of things, even if they were aeons ago in one’s past could be a problem?

Is it ard to get into Piney Point? I’m choosig to go through the progam because I have tried to find a job as an entry level mariner with no luck. So I’m decding to go hrough the program. I’ve heard the pros and cons already. I hve a passport, twic badge, and a MMD with os, wiper, and food handler endorsements. I also have STCW/BST. What is the estimate I would need to pay to get in with me having some of the requirements already?

[QUOTE=Ctony;165187]I understand nothing drug/alcohol related for jobs requiring calling on canadian ports. How about misdemeanors that aren’t drug/alcohol related? I remember doing some internet searching a few months ago and the impression I got was even the most minor of things, even if they were aeons ago in one’s past could be a problem?[/QUOTE]

I had a Canadian colleague at a previous employer. He had to enter the States to cover part of his territory and was stopped at the border…not because the US wouldn’t let him in, but because Canada wouldn’t let him out…over a 30+ year old misdemeanor conviction! Took him some time to iron out. They are very strict on some things.