How are the supermarkets holding out where people live?

I did but the courier companies and air freight is Essential items only. I’m using a much smaller mower to do where my bigger tractor can’t go.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate. And seems somewhat arbitrary. One would think that maintenance materials would make the grade.

In Florida, professional wrestling was deemed “essential”. Here in Mexico, several states including mine have instituted prohibition. No alcohol sales in the stores. However, I was able to acquire some quality imported beer from California via the Mexican “Ebay”.

Smart thing to do if you are going to trap Mexican men at home with their wives & kids. My father-in-law who lives in Mexico sent this video to us via WhatsApp. He made it 1 day before he went back to work. He doesn’t even do anything, he just sits behind an empty desk, in a near empty office in a near empty building. He told my wife he has a few co-workers who does the same nothing every day just to be out of the house. I don’t think he is getting paid either.

2 Likes

A recruitment video for cruise ship crews?

3 Likes

They closed the Ebay loophole.

Horsin’ around, we made some pineapple beer:

3 pineapples
1 kg sugar
9 lt water
Pre-activated baker’s yeast

After only 2 days at 85 degrees F. ambient temp., it was pretty dry with a decent kick. It’s not bad and would work with a bar-b-que.

2 Likes

Recipe?

Pineapple and pork do work well together. Throw a little Franks hot sauce in, I will bring buns and cole slaw.

That was it. Nothing fancy. It’s just fortified Tepache without waiting around for wild yeast innoculation.

Mexico without beer would be like sex without a penis. What the hell!?! I lived there a few times for over a half dozen years combined & I always found ways to buy beer on election days & on presidential swearing in days if I wanted. But that was when they stopped selling beer for only 1 day & I bought it from corner neighborhood mom & pop bodegas. I guess with a multi-day prohibition the under the table places sold out quick. Your only hope now for decent beer is to pay a coyote to help get across the border during this international shutdown. Good Luck.

1 Like

Well…!! It’s a scientifically proven fact that the pandemic is on a decline! I shopped at my local HEB grocery store this morning and there were pallets of toilet paper. I returned at 1800hrs to pick up a few items and the pallets were still full!! 19 confirmed cases in my county. 15 of them were in the state prison. The beaches will be open tomorrow…FINALLY!!

1 Like

I can’t find flour. Didn’t know that many people knew what to do with it.
I like fresh bread and can’t make a decent sandwich out of cornbread.
I need wheat gluten !

1 Like

Our supply chain has been good enough to support the local population but our county has been closed to non residents. We’ll see what happens in a few weeks when the lockdown ends and the summer beach crowds hit the stores and supermarkets.

Baking is one of the biggest stay-at-home fads going. Flour and yeast are hard to find. Sourdough starter is extremely popular.

1 Like

My parents were born in the early 1930’s & early 1940’s in small rural Appalachia towns. I guess during those hard years some people would live days on nothing but flour. If my mom tried to show me how to bake I don’t remember the lessons & can’t bake worth a darn. But she did show me how to make an easy pan fried bread she called “fritter bread” that is so simple hobos made it with some flour, water, oil, a fire & something to use as a skillet. The stores have bread where we live at but we made some poor man’s pan bread to pass along the lesson & to use the flour that’s been in the pantry forever. I think everyone can be a baker or a cook when they have to.

1 Like

So far , my pantry and freezer in the garage is holding out, using the stuff we forgot about. Haven’t had to go to the store lately, but supermarkets are lined up. Staying away, and ordering what I need online and pickup. I hate this shit, but my bride and I are staying safe (We think). Mutt doesn’t give a shit, just happy for the occasional car ride.

I remember when the missus and I went over to LA to look after Mother in law. She had some card to some discount store where everything was on pallets. Everything was packed in such large quantities that we couldn’t buy because it was so much more than we needed except flour. In NZ just after my wife first arrived she asked me where did one get canned pumpkin to make a pumpkin pie. We sorted that one out at the produce shop.
A job I had after school was delivering groceries from the local general store. Women were fully engaged in the home and didn’t work in paid employment. They shopped for perishables everyday and ran a tab. The staples were delivered by about 4 of us on butchers bikes. They had a metal frame over a small front wheel that could take a box of groceries and they paid off the tab when they ordered the staples . There was at most about 50 grocery items at the store and supermarkets were still in the future.
I was the eldest of 7 children and I can remember when we had 2 electrical appliances, a toaster and an electric kettle. Laundry day for my mother was all day Monday. All meals were prepared from scratch.
Just guessing but I am probably close to your mothers age.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find yeast. Three stores and they were out. I didn’t know people in Americans knew what to do with the stuff. Flour can be used in all kinds of stuff but yeast? In the end I found some on the top shelf. I had to climb a shelf and look where no one can see.

1 Like

It’s a real shortage but the yeast companies are working hard to up production. It will take some time however.

Its good that you found some. Homebrewers know how to culture brewers yeast from bottled beer. Likewise, if necessary, you should be able to learn how to culture bakers yeast from bread.

1 Like

In Seattle many of the supermarkets are fully stocked. The flour shelf and the TP shelf look a little lonely but there is stuff there. You can even buy hand sanitizer again.

(Oral thermometers are still missing from everywhere).

The supermarket industry over here is thriving. They’re hiring people. It was fascinating to see how quickly the supermarket industry figured out workable COVID19 guidelines, under the governor’s plan

Overnight, plastic “spit shields” went up protecting the cashiers from the customers. One-way decal signs were placed on the floor in each aisle, keeping the traffic going in single directions, to reduce the chance people getting too close to one another. One guy does nothing but disinfect shopping cart handles. One gal disinfects touch screens. The workers who have to get close to the public wear masks, but the ones behind the spit shields don’t. There are special hours for only customers who are 60+, lessening their exposure. Most customers wear masks, and many wear gloves.

The result is commerce goes on, people are not being infected, and the state plan is being followed. It’s great seeing people cooperating.

4 Likes

That’s crazy about the large pallet discount stores. You’re 1 of 7 from the 40’s, I’m 1 of 11 from the 70’s & we lived on the simple staples bought in moderate portions. Now most families in the US have 2 kids & there’s thousands of big bulk discount stores that sells food in quantities to feed an army. These stores are 40 years too late IMO.