HOS Apprentice Training Program or Military Sealift Command Wiper Advancement Program

I have in hand two job offers, one from MSC and the other from HOS… Which would you pick? My choice is going to be HOS but I would like to hear what others would do if you we’re the new guy. Thanks

BroSum:.

Go HOS, if only because-

the MSC wiper program can take an awfully long time, since the RFPEW workbook has to be done for both steam and diesel, and several people I know who went through that told me it can take a long time to complete, as in years.

I have heard really good things about Hornbeck and I’m sure guys with experience there will tell you same.

Of course the choice is up to you and the world is your oyster. Congratulations! Time to do the happy dance!

If you want to work 4-6 months straight and work mostly foreign then MSC is for you. If you want to stay near coastal in the states and only work 2 weeks to a month at a time then mud boats is what you want. I have no idea how the advancement programs work with MSC but I’m sure they offer something. I have worked with a couple of OS’s in the ATP and they seem happy. I suppose it comes down to where you see yourself in 4 years and what kind of home life you desire.

What is the apprentice position? Is it just entry level os?

Depends on what type of career you want. Msc and HOS are apples and oranges, Like saying: not sure if I want an NFL career or a baseball career… Sure it’s sports, but two completely different games with their own set of rules. No one here can make that decision for you.

I was working on a tug as a civie employee of the Navy til Feb this year(not MSC)…
We did alot of jobs bringing in MSC ships. Seemed like we were always on the stern, and able to converse with the deck crew. They always asked if we were hiring, 'cause they were looking for any way to get away from MSC.
Food for thought.

Know this: the paperwork required to get into MSC is voluminous and can take 5-6 months to complete, maybe longer, before you ever see a paycheck.

well, I took the offer for the Apprentice Training Program today… Completed my physical and the little strength and mobility test that they make you do… I feel pretty good about this… Orientation next month… Cant wait…

Congratulations, BroSum!

Be safe out there.

[QUOTE=BroSum;109558]well, I took the offer for the Apprentice Training Program today… Completed my physical and the little strength and mobility test that they make you do… I feel pretty good about this… Orientation next month… Cant wait…[/QUOTE]

Congrats! Good luck to you

Congrats on your new position. Curious. What apprentice position is it?

Its the ATP program. As far as I know, it’s the only company that has this program and it seems like a good deal.