Homesteading....OUT!

It has been said on FB that on 31JAN homesteading is out. 6 month trial. East Coast Pool had a big meeting on this. This seems like a big deal in MSC, IS IT?

[QUOTE=seacomber;45700]It has been said on FB that on 31JAN homesteading is out. 6 month trial. East Coast Pool had a big meeting on this. This seems like a big deal in MSC, IS IT?[/QUOTE]
Not exactly true. Homesteaders are the last checkpoint in an assignment priority sequence. Eventually, they will start to get bumped, but critical vacancies, overdues, vacancies/phase ups, near-due reliefs and bumping temp promotions all come before the homesteaders will be touched.

I helped write the plan. It’s fair, neutral and addresses the manning problems in a priority sequence.

At last! Homesteading is a destructive practice that has been the source of many of the problems that MSC is infamous for: poor management, lazy mariners, bad work environments.

A homesteader often pulls the least weight of the crew while getting the most pay within his/her rate. This is due to the practice that ship seniority, by virtue of outlasting your shipmates, entitles one the right to do shamefully little work while getting the best paid extra duties.

A homesteader tends to drive away promising new hires. The cost of hiring and training new hires only to have them flee in disgust adds up.

Not to mention the huge loss of productivity every person suffers after months (or years) on-ship due to fatigue tends to ruin even the most heroic homesteader.

The permanent group of clicks, yes-men, ass-kissers and good ole boys/girls that become entrenched on each of MSC’s ships erode morale and reduce the need to learn and maintain skills. Yet all the while they scratch each other’s back to gain promotions via politics and not from knowledge, skills, abilities and job performance.

Is every homesteader bad, lazy and stupid? Of course not! Some of the best hands are homesteaders. But homesteading rewards the bad, lazy and stupid in destructive ways I can’t understand any business tolerating much less encouraging year after year.

For the record, I’ve been with MSC for almost four years now (and union shipping eight years before that).

I doubt anything will change. There are too many rea$ons one would fight to keep homesteader status. All one has to do is get a same day sign-off/sign-on to reset their sign-on date. This way when the office looks to see who has the oldest sign-on date a sly homesteader will fly well under the radar.

Well, that would be one view. Often the view from shipboard management is that we tend to keep around the people that are known performers. I never had an issue with a long term resident onboard, as long as they were useful and pulled their weight. Who would retain a homesteader that did not? Often times the new blood sees the ones that have been there longer as getting more or favored, not so in my recollection. The most recent Msc issue where homesteading came into view was on the east coast. Seems some civmars were sitting in the pool for that they thought was too long. It was easy to blame homesteads for the problem. Never mind there were vacancies present within the fleet during the time they were beached. Perhaps they waited a certain ship or location, but they complained to the admiral. The result was a typical USN knee jerk reaction That prompted a multiple month fact finding venture that only serves to employ lant chief engineers getting sea pay that don’t go to sea for a living to " study" the issues. Nothing was done other than remove the ability to use ships funded leave ( now reinstated ) reduce the flow of crew changes to the ships and tick everyone on the ships off. Of course it did provide email and charts to be produced by those, or perhaps better stated " the" shore side chief engineer so he could remain shoreside. Yes MSC really knows how to fix issues… :slight_smile:

It’s become cliche on MSC ships that after morning muster the homesteaders go up to the lounge or their room to watch tv.

There is no choice as to which homesteader is kept and which is sent away. The homesteader decides that for himself. You have almost nothing to say about it.

Always a mean to get done what you want done. I never allowed free riders to remain with the ship.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;51455]It’s become cliche on MSC ships that after morning muster the homesteaders go up to the lounge or their room to watch tv.

There is no choice as to which homesteader is kept and which is sent away. The homesteader decides that for himself. You have almost nothing to say about it.[/QUOTE]

I am starting out, sounds similar to most ships that like to retain the best shipmates. I will be finished w/training soon and sailing MSC as an AB-Unl. Could a West Coast ship influence my west coast transfer if I land on one? I am confident my attitude/performance will be seen as positive.

Years ago perhaps, but not so much these days. You will submit a request for transfer and when the office ( if ever sees fit ) decides to transfer you they will. With Msc you must never think they care what your desires are, it is simply a function of what they need,where they need it and nothing more. Sorry to be blunt, but these days Msc does not care in the least for the employees as they should. Even with the recent admiral’s 50 pet ideas to better Msc nothing much has changed, actions speak louder than words. There is a reason Msc cannot keep people in the worst economy in recent memory.

too bad the problems are recognized at the top and fixing may not take place. or will but not anytime soon. no wonder there is endless hiring.

I was there over 30 years, nothing ever got fixed. Too many navy officers in the. I’d trying to make it like the navy. Then to make it worse they employ the navy officers that were sent to Mac on active duty when they retire. News flash: the navy only sends throw away navy officers to Msc, those that for whatever reason have proven to be the bottom of the barrel… And Msc employs them as high GS ratings.

Xmsccapt(ret),

I’ve been racking my brain to figure out who you are. Your attitude is refreshing; it gives me hope that after thirty years the Kool-aid isn’t permanent!

Indeed not permanent :). There is life after Msc, a good one in fact. The real rub with Msc ( to me and my age group) was that Msc could be a really good place to work, but with all the bad leadership, politics and usn involvement it never became what it could have been… Shame really.

Yes, there is life after Msc, a rather good one in fact. The trick is, don’t drink the kool-aid. A number of us never did. Oh, we played the game and shook our heads with all the big plans that we knew would never amount to anything, but in the end it was simply a pay check. The real shame is that Msc could be a decent place to work, but with the constant usn involvement, the politics, back stabbers ( ashore and afloat in command positions ) Msc could never become what it could be. A shame really, and far worse now than I ever saw it in the “PAC” and " lant " days before APMC, MSFSC and he rest of the growing list of acronyms they use to rename each year. I always got a kick out of that, sure rename the organization, that will fix it… Or just confuse the enemy? I’d go so far as to say I would not ( and in fact have not) recommend Msc to anyone, that goes for licensed or unlicensed. if just out of an academy then sail until second mate, second Eng, get all the high dollar schools done, and then bail. They don’t graduate second mates and second engs, and will a license and a little sea time there are jobs out there far better than Msc. ( my take, and a number of others view only).

that is a shame, all good equipment and too many chiefs. should be some good in it somewhere, i am in it now. so will have to see if i can make the best of it.

You won’t see all the politics and bs from the deck plate. But get ready to be treated like a convict when in the pool. With hopes you will get a ship with a decent chief mate and master. Some of the newer masters tend to think when they put on four gold stripes or eagles they can demand respect, shame they did not learn you earn respect not demand it. As long as you approach Msc as a job, don’t think overtime is a given and be a go getter the master will ( a good one) take note and perhaps assist you in your career. Not sure where you are trying to go, but I located and promoted a lot of talent from the deck plate all the way to master. Good Luck, and never let your F-you money run low. Your gonna need it with Msc sooner or later believe me.

Your knowledge here is well appreciated. I know those demand respect pain in the rear guys. They do not know respect comes only after giving it first. I know how to deal with them, just avoid em and do a good job, respect everyone else and sooner or later or who cares, they might come around. Then without venting just move on. Have no expectations other then getting out there to see for myself if I want to try a fit. Thank you for the insight, I wouldn’t mind a working up to bosun mate for starters, then decide from there. I do have a plan b and c if I am not willing to put myself thru too much un-necessary b.s.

And hoping that staying on the deckplate, I wouldn’t be seeing the politics, game playing, back stabbing crap that is filled with paperwork and little to do with what matters. I left a paperwork filled, high stress environment just to simple it up. And enjoy the last years at sea, without the crap. No thanks, been there.