Here we go again...new industry same old BULLSHIT!

Do we have any American flagged wind installation vessels?? No we don’t.
Knowledge is power. Dominion Energy Continues Development of First Jones Act Compliant Offshore Wind Turbine Installation Vessel

Treats gets you nowhere.
Plenty of Offshore wind projects around the world to work on.

They worked pretty well training my dogs…

6 Likes

Perhaps it is time for a good old fashioned Blockade?

Good idea!!! Block ALL US port NOW!!!

Good news. Offshore stone dumping vessel will be built in the US, flagged US, owned US and manned by US mariners:

Precision stone dumping to cover cables and pipelines is important for both the Offshore Wind, Offshore Oil & Gas, Shipping and Fishing industries.

Stone cover is important to protect cables and pipelines from anchors and trawling, as well as stabilizing seabed infrastructure.

PS> Not BULLSHIT!!!

4 Likes

The only reason they won’t reflag american if they can get away with it is crew cost. as far as installing wind turbines, it’s not rocket science, have never seen one built but have been working offshore construction for over 10 years and every platform is different and we get them all built. the turbines should be easy as they are all basically the same, as far as marine crew it doesnt matter to me what i am next too, i just keep the ship there.

1 Like

What kind of offshore construction vessel have you been on?
Earlier offshore construction was done by barges held in position by anchors:

Today it is mostly done by SSCVs that operates on DP:

Wind turbine foundations are installed by vessels like this:
Also operating on DP

While the transition pieces, Nacelles and blades are installed by vessels like this:

The equipment used in the installation is also different:

Gould Services and DEME Group have successfully performed the load-in, assembly and preparations for load out of the new Offshore Drill Equipment for the French windfarm at Saint Nazaire.

i have worked on multiple DP vessels doing all types of construction. mainly on a 4000t crane ship that has built all kinds of different structures from 100’ water depth to 10000’ depth, and every project is different. biggest issue i see on any of the wind vessels would be boredom from continually doing the exact same thing.

1 Like

You are always on it Bug. I enjpy your posts.

1 Like

I note the survey considered everything except subsidies and the political impetus towards wind energy and against fossil fuels. If you make other forms of energy generation illegal, uneconomic, overtaxed, unable to grow, subject to overzealous environmental standards, then obviously wind can benefit from increased research and development.

I’m automatically suspicious of studies by an avowedly Leftist university surveying industry insiders about their prospects for continued growth and development. What possible chance of respondents telling them they only survive if the politics of the nations they service gives them unfair preference?

But perfectly content with the products of studies financed by the oil and coal lackeys? Whinging about efforts to reduce pollution by heavily subsidized political contributors does nothing to improve the condition of the generations that follow us.

5 Likes

Troll’s been radicalized. To hear him tell it universities are leftists. Reminds me of totalitarian modus operandi. First you eliminate the educated.
I get concerned when anyone singles out and denigrates the educated as elite. Do they wish for idiots to control?

1 Like

CO2 isn’t pollution. It’s essential for all life on earth. How many bald eagles have your wonderful wind farms shredded today?

Aaaah, yes. Universities are stacked to the gills with Leftists … learning the “totalitarian modus operandi” of Saul Alinsky.

“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.” Buckley

1 Like

please desist from furthering this and return to the topic of the thread if you would be so kind…

2 Likes

So “The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory” is 30 + miles from the people’s republic of bezerkley.
The “leftists” I knew there were a machinist making triggering devices for nuclear bombs, the head of OSHA compliance and the phyisct designing bombs. You figure out their leanings.

Would tend to agree c.captain, but topic opened doors to a lot more BULLSHIT. Not hard to believe 58 responses with about half non-maritime related.

All kinds of specialized vessels are needed to develop a sustainable national Offshore Wind industry.
The Dutch are able and willing to help develop Jones Act compliant vessels to develop the US Offshore wing industry:

Are there anybody able and willing to invest and build some of the vessels needed?