Hawsepipe or mariner advancement?

I’ve used both for certain things over the last few years…I don’t recall much of a difference between the two. Just curious if any folks out there recently have a preference from one or the other? I’m assuming maybe they’ve changed a bit since I"ve used either one. I’ll be doing DDE unlimited/assistant engineer limited in the next couple months. Hawsepipe’s is roughly 30 bucks cheaper.

and yes I swear by lapware, however I probably won’t use it till I am a month from testing. Thanks ahead for any input.

I used hawsepipe when it was still a disc, but the discs are no longer updatable and you need to buy the thumb drive. I liked the software. No need for internet with the thumb drive.

I used hawsepipe and lapware. Both are great but i would choose hawsepipe thumbdrive because you dont need internet like catherder mentioned and thats huge when youre at work with no wifi. Also, lapware gave alot of the same questions and gave me a false sense of confidence.

When I got my limited dde a couple years ago, I used mariner advancement and it laid a great foundation…someone I was working with talked me into doing lapware along with it, and there was a lot of stuff lapware was showing me that mariner advancement didn’t have. I probably would have bombed the test if I didn’t polish up with lapware. The main difference was lapware had a more up to date general subject.

When I first got my qmed I used hawsepipe and it was a cd then. Worked great…I forget why a couple years later I went with mariner advancement for the dde. Probably was a price difference and I love to save a buck when I can.

And you are right about lapware…when you are hitting those random tests a lot of the same questions are on most tests.

[QUOTE=catherder;157507]I used hawsepipe when it was still a disc, but the discs are no longer updatable and you need to buy the thumb drive. I liked the software. No need for internet with the thumb drive.[/QUOTE]

I’ve conducted a couple of electricity tutorials for guys sitting for DDE. They all used Hawsepipe thumb drive. I was impressed with the program and test generation. Also the long list of reference books included, all for $100. Beats the hell out of the books I toted back and forth in the last century.

I’m using Hawsepipe thumb drives for 3rd mate AGT & Celestial. I like having all the deck reference study materials with it in pdf format, I.E. Quartermaster, Deck seamanship. The quizzes are good and you dont get alot of duplicate questions. It lets you print the tests out on paper if you so choose, to get acclimated to testing at the REC.