Has anyone worked for KRS on Kwajalein

Im looking into going out to work on Kwaj, and was looking for some good advise on things there.
Thanks
Frank

I’ll field this one. I was working on a Tanker delivering gas and jet fuel to that Island. It’s an Army base on a crappy flat island in the middle of the Marshal islands. It’s so crappy and boring it makes Saipan look luxurious and civilized. I believe you have to sign a 1 year contract as well. Pros: 1. Cheap beer, 2. Surfing, 3. Fishing, 4. Tax free income if you stay the whole year… Cons: 1. It’s boring 2. There are basically no women on the island (but just enough to cause misery) As for the job itself I have no idea. I do know they have some landing craft and other small boats that seem to spend most of their time next to the dock. They sell it as “Working in Paradise”… well it sort of is. Anyways I hope this helps.

Hi
Thank you for the response, Im familiar with all the pros/cons about the island, I was hoping for some real insite to life on the island, housing, additional costs on the island, ect…

I googled a Kwajalein at one time and found a link to some islanders that wrote about their experience. Especially about the housing, and facilities on the island and the surrounding islands. If I find the link again I will post it.

Here is the link

http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/kwa/

Don’t do it

I currently work on Kwaj and can’t wait to get out of here. It is just as the second poster listed. A small, flat crappy island with all guys and nothing to do. I am going to add, the management is extremely corrupt too. Some of the stuff I have seen, I plan to report to Fraud Waste and Abuse. They will tell you it is paradise but, just trying to lock someone into a contract. Oh, if you try to break the contract, they will look for every possible way to charge you out the kazoo. It is miserable here.

As a reformed kwajaholic I am afraid I have to agree with the assesment of managment out there. The current Marine Manager and Port Captain are good people though not like the ones who have been out there. I disagree on the crappiness of the island it is a great place to hang on the beach dive fish and drink rum. Want a more active nightlife or cultural aspect then don’t move to an Island 2000 miles from anywhere. They have landing craft 75’ and amusing to drive. 1 Tug 120’ ok to drive, and an LCU 1600, they neglect, and an LCU 2000 also fun to drive. If you want a low paying job that you look at as a paid dive or fishing vacation, like me, its cool. Not a place to advance the maritime career anymore.

Can American men date the Marshallese women who work on the island?

Where are the best surf spots? Easy to buy/borrow a board, or best to BYO?

Are bicycles easy to come by?

How does it compare to Diego Garcia?

Thanks to all who have posted so far!!

Can American men date the Marshallese women who work on the island?

Where are the best surf spots? Easy to buy/borrow a board, or best to BYO?

Are bicycles readily available?

Thanks to all those who have posted!!

You don’t want to date the Marshallese women. I have seen lots of guys get caught up in their greedy ways. I lived on Kwaj for 2 years. You can message me if want more information.

Just got back from a year contract, it was a fun job, low pay, sorry health insurance, good people, clear water, lots of sharks.

Do not go. Water is great. Women??? There are women in West Africa as well. Flat sandbar in the middle of nowhere. Period. End of story. Just try to crew change/get a flight. No way Jose. You will be stuck. The finer things in life are NOT in kwaj, that’s for sure.

Have talked with two single men who had been on Kwajalein more than a year each, both liked it. One for the fishing, the other for all the available women on the islands close by. Another married man who was there with his family for four years, they loved it. It seems like anywhere else, it is what you make of it.

[QUOTE=seacomber;95612]Have talked with two single men who had been on Kwajalein more than a year each, both liked it. One for the fishing, the other for all the available women on the islands close by. Another married man who was there with his family for four years, they loved it. It seems like anywhere else, it is what you make of it.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Helvetica]Was on Kwaj for 10 years, pre KRS, with family. We loved it, paid off all the bills with savings to boot. I moved to a non-KRS contract just before the change-over; I have heard really bad things about KRS … bad, bad, bad.

But if your single, want to make some tax free dollars (need to be on island for ~300 consecutive days, or out of the US anyway), have no car and house/rent payments (housing is free) then your golden. I think if your single food is also provided?

Kind of bad if you’re looking for a girl, but the occasional trip to HI can give you a yearly fix. Internet is slow and no cell phones (unless the Marshallese cell system is still working … its expensive). But if you love to exercise, fish, learn to SCUBA, play a little sports with the gang, just relax … then Kwaj is for you.[/FONT]