Harley leaking fuel @ carb when parked, Thoughts?

Been working/RIDING! my bike 1992 electraglide Classic. New Batt (batt died while I was gone) Changed oil/filter used mobile1 20-50.V-twin full sync. For some reason it’s weeping fuel when parked? Anybody else have this problem?

Check to line going to the carb from the Crank Case. It will look like either Fuel or Oil depending on the temps.

Mine doesn’t leak when just sitting there but when I start it up gas pours out of mine. I chalked it up to the ethanol gas but have never had a problem on my fishing boat with it. When I get time I’m going to take the carb off and see if a diaphragm or something has eroded.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;153176]Mine doesn’t leak when just sitting there but when I start it up gas pours out of mine. I chalked it up to the ethanol gas but have never had a problem on my fishing boat with it. When I get time I’m going to take the carb off and see if a diaphragm or something has eroded.[/QUOTE]

Engines of the 1992 age were not designed to run with ethanol blended fuel. They were designed to run on undiluted gasoline. The ethanol eats rubber, evaporates and leaves deposits behind that clog up needle valves ,such as on a carb floats which then cause leaks and in general a lot of problems. Take the carb off, rebuild and only run Rec 90 or whatever you can find that doesn’t have corn liquor in it, the problem should go away. NEVER run ethanol blended “gas” in a small engine unless the manufacturer recommends it. The sooner we stop selling ethanol diluted gasoline and subsidizing corn farmers the better off we will be. If you can afford a Harley you can afford to feed it well, they don’t eat a lot.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;153194]Engines of the 1992 age were not designed to run with ethanol blended fuel. They were designed to run on undiluted gasoline. The ethanol eats rubber, evaporates and leaves deposits behind that clog up needle valves ,such as on a carb floats which then cause leaks and in general a lot of problems. Take the carb off, rebuild and only run Rec 90 or whatever you can find that doesn’t have corn liquor in it, the problem should go away. NEVER run ethanol blended “gas” in a small engine unless the manufacturer recommends it. The sooner we stop selling ethanol diluted gasoline and subsidizing corn farmers the better off we will be. If you can afford a Harley you can afford to feed it well, they don’t eat a lot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, It is a 97 Evo motor.
Boat motors are 99 Hondas.
My 2002 fatboy hasn’t had the problem with the ethanol gas but might as well change that gas out to be on the safe side.

You have to remember, I’m in the wheel house not the engine room so my mechanical skills are limited. I can only screw shit up and call the mechanic. LOL!!! :slight_smile:

Float is getting stuck. Rebuild your carb

[QUOTE=brjones;153261]Float is getting stuck. Rebuild your carb[/QUOTE]

What he said and keep high quality fuel in it !

Thanks for the tips. I always run 92 in it. I’ve recently been turning the valve off, it stopped.I’ll pull the bowl off and take a look. Jets prob need a cleaning anyway. Been having a problem with popping on decel as well. I have aftermarket hooker exhaust and I may need to install a larger slow jet. might as well do it now.

I have found that you will get a popping sound when you run open pipes. My Evo pops when I roll off of the Throttle.

Using hooker tuenable pipes. they have a baffel that you can screw in or out. Short pipe in. longer pipe out. (might be the other way , hell to be old) Balanced for lenght even restriction…

Use fuel additive like Stabil for your months away from home. Add it to a fresh tank of gas, and ride for a bit before putting the bike away.

been adding marvel mystery oil for years at every fill up. Just something my dad used to do,so I do too.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;153367]been adding marvel mystery oil for years at every fill up. Just something my dad used to do,so I do too.[/QUOTE]

I know more than a few people who swear by that stuff.