Gulf of Mexico Is Hot for Oil Again

Deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico has quickly rebounded after the BP oil spill in 2010 to become the fastest growing offshore market in the world.

What are people saying about Methane Hydrate (seafloor ice with ignitable methane trapped inside) down there in the gulf? An article in the May issue of “The Atlantic” magazine said that there’s suppose to be millions of tons of it at the bottom of the gulf but no good way to get it out yet. I was just wondering what the guys on the front lines have to say.

Actually took a research crew from ole miss a few years ago who are studying the stuff. Just no way to bring it up economically as it turn back to gas as the presssure decreases.

A giant pressurized methane hydrate vacuum cleaner…

BTW, I just conveniently patented one.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;115210]http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/gulf-of-mexico-is-hot-for-oil-again.html/?ref=YF

Deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico has quickly rebounded after the BP oil spill in 2010 to become the fastest growing offshore market in the world.[/QUOTE]

You can tell when an oil guy is President. :):slight_smile:

Actually, oil and gas leases are up with this guy, shit, he golfs with oil execs. I laugh pretty hard when people call this guy a “liberal”. My ass he is !

I don’t think he’s an oil guy but he is one slippery bastard

[QUOTE=skycowboy;115259]I don’t think he’s an oil guy but he is one slippery bastard[/QUOTE]

They are ALL one slippery bastard, republican or democrat.

[QUOTE=tengineer;115247]You can tell when an oil guy is President. :):)[/QUOTE]
I don’t know about all that. Oil production would be down if not for private land drilling onshore. The administration has been trying to shut fracking down to. If they ever succeed at that it will kill the oil industry.

the people that live near fracking also seem to want to have fracking shut down, the administration will ultimatly do what the oil co’s want.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;115293]the people that live near fracking also seem to want to have fracking shut down, the administration will ultimatly do what the oil co’s want.[/QUOTE]

I can’t say for the rest of the country, but people here love it. It’s how their bread gets buttered. Everybody here makes their living from oil, if not directly they get it indirectly. Without oil this place would be a ghost town. People that are against it don’t understand how safe it is and just believe the propaganda that they are spoon fed by the media and the government. Without fracking, there would be no drilling.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;115293]the people that live near fracking also seem to want to have fracking shut down, the administration will ultimatly do what the oil co’s want.[/QUOTE]

I can’t say for the rest of the country, but people here love it. It’s how their bread gets buttered. Everybody here makes their living from oil, if not directly they get it indirectly. Without oil this place would be a ghost town. People that are against it don’t understand how safe it is and just believe the propaganda that they are spoon fed by the media and the government. Without fracking, there would be no drilling.

[QUOTE=Hillhick;115294]I can’t say for the rest of the country, but people here love it. It’s how their bread gets buttered. Everybody here makes their living from oil, if not directly they get it indirectly. Without oil this place would be a ghost town. People that are against it don’t understand how safe it is and just believe the propaganda that they are spoon fed by the media and the government. Without fracking, there would be no drilling.

• Updated - - -

Some parts of the country do not like it, I am only going by the fact that people are protesting it, I am not.
People that are against it are most likely scared of what is portrayed, I am not saying they are right or wrong, but in this country people are allowed to be against something they don’t like or want, propaganda or not. The side that dislikes fracking believes the side that wants it believes the fracking propaganda also and are being spoon fed by business and others. It is all a two sided coin in my opinion.

So without fracking there would be no drilling? Is all the drilling in the GOM all fracking or conventional drilling? I have been to many rigs offshore where fracking does not take place.

It is really not my intention to get into arguments on this site, but I will leave it at this. To answer your question about fracking in the GOM: I cannot answer that question as I am not familiar with the offshore side of the business. It is just the direction I am trying to go. The current oil boom is happening thanks to shale oil onshore and that is the case thanks to fracking. Fracking is something I am very familiar with, however, and I don’t need anybody’s propaganda on this subject. It is currently what I do for a living. It is a very safe process, environmentally speaking, regardless of what the propaganda says. There is a study that just came out this week saying as much. If you want I can explain scientifically why it is safe.

Then how come after fracking some people’s drinking water is catching fire.

Because this is a staged propaganda event. There are places that natural gas occurs naturally next to the water table. In these cases gas can be dissolved in the water regardless of whether there is a well nearby or not. In areas where this happens you should vent you water well. Problem solved.

This explains how fracking did not cause it.

And here is how you fix it.
http://www.independentwatertesting.com/baseline-testing/whats-your-contaminant/47-water-well-vents-.html

Hillhick would you drink water from the ground in Pennsylvania? I’m from Pennsylvania and my water did NOT turn flammable until about 90 days after a fracking rig was set up on my neighbor’s property. I bet your one of the retards who actually think the oil from the DWH magically went away thanks to the dispersant BP sprayed on it. Do you really think all the chemicals used in fracking just magically disappear into the ground never to harm anything. Take your oil company paid for study and choke yourself with it.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;115353]Hillhick would you drink water from the ground in Pennsylvania? I’m from Pennsylvania and my water did NOT turn flammable until about 90 days after a fracking rig was set up on my neighbor’s property. I bet your one of the retards who actually think the oil from the DWH magically went away thanks to the dispersant BP sprayed on it. Do you really think all the chemicals used in fracking just magically disappear into the ground never to harm anything. Take your oil company paid for study and choke yourself with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes I would drink it. I will sometimes drink Odessa water and we have had way more fracking than PA has. Rigs are for drilling. There is no rig at any well when we frack it. The water from fracking mostly comes back up the well bore when it is flowed back. The reason that the track water never gets to the water supply is because it is forced out into a formation thousands if feet below the water table. It is usually at least a mile below the water table. Should the casing fail, we would see a drastic drop in treating pressure and would see immediately stop pumping. As long as the well is constructed properly that won’t happen. I am not sure about PA but here in Texas a well must be logged and inspected before any fracking happens. Basically the well bore is xrayed to find weak spots and to see how thick the cement is.
The problem in PA us the geology. There are naturally occurring methane deposits close to the surface and water table . When drilled through this gas can sometimes migrate upwards where there is lower pressure. This happens because if drilling in this type of geology, not fracking. Gas migration can also happen naturally.
The cure is to vent your well so gas can escape.
You are welcome.

Btw, arguing emotions without facts and telling somebody to choke on something us a bit immature. Next time try reason and logic.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;115353]Hillhick would you drink water from the ground in Pennsylvania? I’m from Pennsylvania and my water did NOT turn flammable until about 90 days after a fracking rig was set up on my neighbor’s property. I bet your one of the retards who actually think the oil from the DWH magically went away thanks to the dispersant BP sprayed on it. Do you really think all the chemicals used in fracking just magically disappear into the ground never to harm anything. Take your oil company paid for study and choke yourself with it.[/QUOTE]

Strawman, appeal to slippery slope, appeal to tradition, appeal to emotion, ad hominem…

The only “retard” here is you, you science illiterate fool. Apparently the environmental scientists of the State of Pennsylvania are just BIG OIL PAWNS DERP! DERP! Now get off people’s own property and mind your damn business. The rest of us shouldn’t suffer from your willingness to believe what a few “protesters” are yelling. Some of the largest ecological disasters have been caused by the maritime industry thanks to ships.(Zebra Mussels, etc) Considering this, the 60 year history of Hydraulic Fracturing has a pretty clean safety sheet.

Strawman, appeal to slippery slope, appeal to tradition, appeal to emotion, ad hominem…

The only “retard” here is you, you science illiterate fool. Apparently the environmental scientists of the State of Pennsylvania are just BIG OIL PAWNS! DERP! DERP! Now get off people’s own property and mind your damn business. The rest of us shouldn’t suffer from your willingness to believe what a few “protesters” are yelling. Some of the largest ecological disasters have been caused by the maritime industry thanks to ships.(Zebra Mussels, etc) Considering this, the 60 year history of Hydraulic Fracturing has a pretty clean safety sheet.

“I’m from Pennsylvania and my water did NOT turn flammable until about 90 days after a fracking rig”

HA. Link to the pending lawsuit or shut up. Or are you that idiot that went biserk when State Officials told him the methane in his water was from natural, background minerals?