Great Lakes / AMO

I am looking for a change of pace and am interested in transistioning from a seagoing engineering position in the GOM up to the Great Lakes for a few years. I called the AMO, filled out all of the necessary paperwork and was told when (if at all) to possibly expect a call from the local dispatcher at the onset of the season. They explained that they link you up with a Company whom they are affiliated with and if all works out you get directly hired by that company.

My question is if you get hired, could you lose your position due to a seniority issue? I checked the website and couldn’t find the verbiage. I’m guessing that you can’t since you work directly for a company but aren’t sure.

Thanks

I don’t know how AMO works, but Grand River Navigation is top to bottom MMP and seniority is rarely, if ever an issue. Especially amongst the engineers. Tom Bell is the MMP rep in Cleveland 216 776 1667.

[QUOTE=FWE;156286]I am looking for a change of pace and am interested in transistioning from a seagoing engineering position in the GOM up to the Great Lakes for a few years. I called the AMO, filled out all of the necessary paperwork and was told when (if at all) to possibly expect a call from the local dispatcher at the onset of the season. They explained that they link you up with a Company whom they are affiliated with and if all works out you get directly hired by that company.

My question is if you get hired, could you lose your position due to a seniority issue? I checked the website and couldn’t find the verbiage. I’m guessing that you can’t since you work directly for a company but aren’t sure.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
If you ship from the Great Lakes Office of AMO you are ship to a temporary job, these are for 30 days. After 30 days and there are members waiting to work you will get relieved by a member waiting for work and then you can re-register with dispatch. if not you can continue to work and at 60 days ask for a relief

If you want to work AMO great lakes. call 1-800-221-9395 ext. 6005, or 6007 or 6003. That will get you to all officers in that office and they will be happy to assist. I am hearing that no one wants to go back to work so soon and there are jobs available. So give em a call

by the Grand River has nothing but junk to work on

Why would anyone want to work on the lakes. You work all summer and get Jan.,Feb., Mar off. Some people put in for a 30 day relief in July or Aug. But you work 8 months and make peanuts. A friend of mine works 1/1 month off but only makes 50k a year plus UI . Maybe you like “side pork” and need to get into Travers City to hit the Polish butcher shops. If you are going to be gone from home you might as well make better money.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;156505]Why would anyone want to work on the lakes.[/QUOTE]

The fallout from the oil and gas bust is making shipping jobs in some areas a little tight.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;156505]Why would anyone want to work on the lakes. You work all summer and get Jan.,Feb., Mar off. Some people put in for a 30 day relief in July or Aug. But you work 8 months and make peanuts. A friend of mine works 1/1 month off but only makes 50k a year plus UI . Maybe you like “side pork” and need to get into Travers City to hit the Polish butcher shops. If you are going to be gone from home you might as well make better money.[/QUOTE]

How can he gut unemployment insurance??? He works a 30/30 schedule.

[QUOTE=cajuntugster;156548]How can he gut unemployment insurance??? He works a 30/30 schedule.[/QUOTE]

If you’re a union employee displaced by another, even 30/30 and permanent, you can legally draw unemployment. I’ve seen good contracts destroyed because a few insisted on drawing it.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;156505]Why would anyone want to work on the lakes. You work all summer and get Jan.,Feb., Mar off. Some people put in for a 30 day relief in July or Aug. But you work 8 months and make peanuts. A friend of mine works 1/1 month off but only makes 50k a year plus UI . Maybe you like “side pork” and need to get into Travers City to hit the Polish butcher shops. If you are going to be gone from home you might as well make better money.[/QUOTE]

Is the pay really that bad up there? I know retail managers making double that, and they get to see their families every night.

[QUOTE=JaredFromSubway;156654]Is the pay really that bad up there? I know retail managers making double that, and they get to see their families every night.[/QUOTE]

My friend works for Grand River and works 4 months a year. He works 1/1 and gets the winter off with everyone else unless you live where your boat is laid up. He retired from another union and likes the schedule.

Thanks for all the feedback, your points are all well taken.

Although the total yearly compensation doesn’t equate to that of the GOM, the hourly wages aren’t to far off. (in some cases)

I’m nearing the end of my seagoing career so if a decent gig enters in the picture maybe I will head up that way. If I could land a month on / off rotation with a few extra month off that would work out perfectly.

It would be nice to work with a bunch of Mariners whose day doesn’t evolve around meeting and paperwork if that even exists anymore.

Any other must see / do recommendations besides “side pork” in Travers City!

[QUOTE=FWE;156793]
Any other must see / do recommendations besides “side pork” in Travers City![/QUOTE]

Mountain biking in Duluth is awesome. I always took my bike with me. Grandma’s is a good stop there too! I was AMO for awhile and Federal Pilot, but the GOM lured me in. Fortunately I still have a great job there. I haven’t heard of a 30/30 union job, maybe MMP does, not AMO, usually 60/30 for officers on the Lakes, with layup mid January, Feb off, fit out last week in March. Non union work on ATB’s is available there. 21/21 rotations.

That is a pathetic wage for being away from one’s home for half of the year. Why would anyone sell their labor so cheaply? This is what’s wrong with the U.S. labor force; nobody is willing to tell Joe Boss to go fuck himself when he offer scraps to his paupers. Is this industry facing its inevitable death? Why sell your soul/home life for a lower middle class existence?