Amo

I just graduated from Mass. Maritime a week ago and I’m having trouble finding work (oviously). If I join AMO, realistically, how long will I have to wait before I get work?

Try a company called 3PSC. They’re always looking for 3rd mates. It’s AMO and the money isn’t great, but it’s a job and seatime. It would be helpful if you already have a Secret clearance.

You’ve been licensed a week and you are already complaining about not being able to find work?

I just graduated gimme gimme gimme

[QUOTE=bnc995;72098]I just graduated from Mass. Maritime a week ago and I’m having trouble finding work (oviously). If I join AMO, realistically, how long will I have to wait before I get work?[/QUOTE]

I honestly have no idea why you came on here with such a ludicrous question? You might get work in a week or it might take you months. I’d get my butt out there and contact every goddamned company on the planet. It’s called legwork and only those who walk that extra mile get the rewards. Do you think signing up at AMO all you need to do is sit by a phone and the jobs will magically appear? Seriously?

Here’s a tip son…fresh third mates are little better than cadets who should be seldom seen and never heard.

I agree with C.Captain that is a very stupid question. I know people that work with AMO and some of them have taken months to land a job while others have recieved calls fairly quickly. They one thing that they all have in common is that the pay is shit. I worked for MMP for a while after graduating and was able to night mate quite a bit to put food on the table. Your best chance of finding work right now is probably in the gulf of mexico on supply boats. Even if you have to hire on as an AB it is still good money and if you work hard you can be in the wheelhouse in no time and then get that DP certificate which is becoming more and more valuable. Just be persistant, I harassed all these GoM companies for over a year until i finally got hired! Good luck

[QUOTE=bnc995;72098]I just graduated from Mass. Maritime a week ago and I’m having trouble finding work (oviously). If I join AMO, realistically, how long will I have to wait before I get work?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the real world kid! Graduating from Mass, oh boy, let me hire you right away, im sure you have to be top of the food chain out there!

God damn y’all are some vicious ass bitches up in here. I dislike academy people to the core of my being, so being an advocate for one does not come naturally. This is not directed at the people that actually tried to give advice, obviously. But the rest of you who heaped abuse on this kid, shame on you. You are a bunch of nasty damn trolls under a bridge. I guess when you were all in your early twenties you had ALL the answers, right? Thats why you have all achieved global domination…except that you didnt. This boy wasnt asking for money or a job, just some advice on a forum…imagine that. I’m back ccaptain, and you are still a little bitch without peer.

If you have your PIC and an ECDIS certificate, you should be able to get on a tanker fairly soon, just make sure you know your stuff. I know that there are amo tanker 3/m jobs available. If you don’t have your pic, I’d try to find a job in the Gulf. The money down there is fantastic. I wouldn’t go sail as AB, but that is always an option if you really need to work. Do lots of research, find phone numbers, and make phobe calls. Make sure that companies know that you are ready to go to work ASAP. Good luck finding a job man.

Weren’t there a whole bunch of protesters who were quite vocal about this same topic? 99%… ring any bells?

Gimme, Gimme, I want. I deserve. WAH!

This is what your illustrious academy is for. They DO have a hiring and placement office. Use it! Go out there and find a job. I am fairly certain you know how to use google (or even… (gasp) the search function on this website.

Looked like a legit question to me, I didn’t see any whining or sense of entitlement in the dozen or so words he posted up. Whats the deal?

Maybe we should give the kid some slack.

The placement offices at the academies are typically quite pathetic. They’re staffed by state employees who are just putting out the minimum required effort and collecting a small paycheck. The guy who was the head rowing instructor last month, may have just been promoted to career services director last week. No relevant experience or skills required. One thing is for sure, the career services director has not been to sea in years, if ever, and he hasn’t had any recent experience looking for a seagoing job.

The academy has told the kid everyday for four years how lucky he is to be in the academy and that if he sits up straight and pays attention in class he will graduate right into a fantastic high paying job. This kid is just starting to figure out that its not that simple for 90% of students.

The kid asked a question about the AMO in the hope that someone here might actually know something about the AMO, and clue him in. To his credit, the kid has already figured out that nobody at the academy knows jack-squat about the AMO.

I don’t know anything about the AMO, but this seems like a pretty good time to be a freshly graduated 3rd mate.

I’d worry about any new grad who is too good to work on deck. There are many things to learn on deck that will help form a well rounded officer and most of those lessons can’t be learned in school.

AB pay isn’t shabby these days either…

[QUOTE=Swampnet;72144]God damn y’all are some vicious ass bitches up in here. I dislike academy people to the core of my being, so being an advocate for one does not come naturally. This is not directed at the people that actually tried to give advice, obviously. But the rest of you who heaped abuse on this kid, shame on you. You are a bunch of nasty damn trolls under a bridge. I guess when you were all in your early twenties you had ALL the answers, right? Thats why you have all achieved global domination…except that you didnt. This boy wasnt asking for money or a job, just some advice on a forum…imagine that. I’m back ccaptain, and you are still a little bitch without peer.[/QUOTE]

Disliking all academy people to the core of your being is an extreme position. What if all academy people disliked all hawspipers to the core of their being? What if all high school graduates hated all college graduates and vice versa?
Perhaps it is sour grapes, unless of course there is some deep underlying reason such as having been molested by an academy graduate in ones early years.:slight_smile:

I think the reason people have such little patience with this recent MMA graduate is that for all his education he just now learned about gCaptain and is asking questions that have been answered many times in the past right here on this forum. It’s like he just came to his senses and found out he had graduated from a maritime school. WTF? He got off Facebook after four years and just now discovered gCaptain? You’d think the little darling would have looked around and gotten a little education about the job market while he was getting educated for a job he didn’t know how to get or apply for. Had he bothered to look around he would know that AMO is a pretty sorry excuse for a union. He could have gone to an AMO or MEBA hall and talked to working mariners, he’d have learned alot. He could have gone to a port right there in Mass and talked to some guys that worked for a living about how to gain employment.
Yes, we came down a little hard on this person but it’s time for them to ask some intelligent questions after researching the available information.

Would it really be a good idea to have all the kids from all the academies spend half their time on gcaptain for four years?

Hurrah! Little swampman is back and still the same nasty horny toad from the South Lousyana muck. People like you must have been the inspiration for Squidbillies and here, I was thinking FraqRat was the one with the horrible disease…at least he is FUNNY but you son are just from the SWAMP!

Earlie Cuyler: Toodly do! Them hippies show up?
Rusty: They out back. Daddy why they come up here every week?
Earlie Cuyler: Here you go, boy. I bought you a video game
[gives Rusty a bucket with sponge & soap]
Rusty: You did?
Earlie Cuyler: Hell no. Wash them trucks. But you leave the boat to me. Don’t you touch that sumbitchin’ boat. A boat is not a toy. Thank you. The boat is mine. THE BOAT IS MINE!!!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;72169]Would it really be a good idea to have all the kids from all the academies spend half their time on gcaptain for four years?[/QUOTE]

I know quite a few academy grads of recent years. They ALL know Facebook quite well and admit they spend idle hours on it while in school. It’s not too much to ask that they spend some of their idle time perusing a vocational related website, unless of course they are independently wealthy and have no need for gainful employment upon graduation or they are content to move back home to mom and dad.

They could benefit themselves by spending some time here. Watching c.captain have his way with them sure would be entertaining for the rest of us.

Thank you for your kind regards c.captain, I missed you too. Indeed I am from the swamp. And to tell the truth and shame the devil perhaps the Squidbillies did take some pages from my book. Much as Jerry Sandusky has with yours. You have a solid basis for a lawsuit against him. Clearly his showering with boys dance steps are your creation, as well as being your stock and trade. Good luck in court…the truth is on your side.

[QUOTE=Swampnet;72177]Thank you for your kind regards c.captain, I missed you too. Indeed I am from the swamp. And to tell the truth and shame the devil perhaps the Squidbillies did take some pages from my book. Much as Jerry Sandusky has with yours. You have a solid basis for a lawsuit against him. Clearly his showering with boys dance steps are your creation, as well as being your stock and trade. Good luck in court…the truth is on your side.[/QUOTE]

So tell us Swampy…How does it feel to be such a very miniscule, tiny, puny, microscopically little person?

you are nothing…not even a fly speck

btw, next time please wash your hands after you go…huh? where’d you grow up anyway, a toilet?..oops, sorry…swamp.