GoM radio etiquette ....or lack of it

GoM is the only place in the world where when calling any station one says his name first ??? What’up with that? It confuses the hell out of me…

Obviously you haven’t worked in NY harbor!

Really…? Funny that we talk about competency of foreign mariners and yet we sound like greenhorns on the radio.

It has nothing to do with competency. It’s all about the language! If I am calling a sea going ship (blue water) I use proper radio etiquette because English is most likely not their native language. If I am calling a Tug, OSV, or Crewboat I use the local or industry standard terminology for the area I am operating at (GOM or NY Harbor). I know it works this way because I had a run between Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. As a Spanish speaker (Born in the enchanted Island of Puerto Rico!!!) I have heard the difference on the way the local vessels in DR will call or communicate in English and the way they call and communicate in Spanish. When you feel comfortable with the language you are speaking less standardization or etiquette is required to deliver a massage.

So if you listen to the foreign ships speak in their language they sound just like us in the USA!!!

Now in this one I agree with you. Specially when you are working a hi traffic are. As soon as I hear the name of my boat I automatically pay closer attention to see how called me. But when they say their name first then you do the hole thing “so and so back to station calling” and that just adds to the radio noise.

They way I was trained was ( a million years ago, in a galaxy far,far,away) - Station called, Station calling. - Msg - Over. Sometimes repeating the station called/station calling twice if the radio is busy. Also using the full name of the ship.

Same here, I guess we came from the same Galaxy :wink:
I had a privilege of sailing around most of the continents but noticed that opaque etiquette when I’ve settled here in GoM… not in Africa or Europe or some other remote place.

Or the Delaware River / Philadelphia Harbor…

[QUOTE=GYRO;73753]GoM is the only place in the world where when calling any station one says his name first ??? What’up with that? It confuses the hell out of me…[/QUOTE]

yea those are the dum asses that fail to give there vessel name at the end of there security call witch you heard half way throuth and my concearn you and want to respond