Answer if you can

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>I am new to the gulf; I have only been working here a little over a year. Sailing the past 16 years in the Pacific NW and the 8 years prior to that in the North East, I have experienced a little culture shock the first few hitches down here. I figured, once I get acclimated to the heat (if that were remotely possible) things would settle down and I would enjoy the change. Things have and I do. The heat will be the death of me though. </font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p><font face=“Times New Roman” size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>However, I do have two things that I have a difficult time understanding. With the infinite wisdom and insight that I have stumbled upon on this site, and also the fact there are many who do not seem timid to voice their opinion I ask you…</font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<o:p><font face=“Times New Roman” size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>1. What the hell is the deal with people throwing toilet paper in the garbage can AFTER wiping their ass? Several of the boats I have been, I have personally witnessed the Captain instruct crewmembers to throw the paper in the trash instead of the commode. I have never heard of this until recently. Is this common practice? Do any of you know the reason for this? I know the obvious answer is to eliminate problems with the black water drains and the MSD system, but WTFO? If you ask any Red Fox, Humphries or like provider of marine sanitation devices they will tell you single ply septic toilet paper is approved and “IF” the system is maintained according to manufacturer’s procedures you will have many years of trouble free operation. </font></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<o:p><font face=“Times New Roman” size=3> </font></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt]<font face=“Times New Roman” size=3>2. My second question is: when a vessel is calling another, why do they say their name first and then the name of the station they are calling? I have asked the wheelhouse guys that I work with. The ones that know it is incorrect continue to do it because that is the way everyone does it. Those who know no different seem to be offended when asked why. So, without intentionally offending anyone, why is this practice so common?</font></P>

Toilet paper goes in the toilet. <br><br>Calling on the radio has never been by-the-book in the oilfield for the most part, but if you have a radio license, you’re obligated by that license as appropriate. There can be fines by the FCC, but not likely <br><br>

I heard that the really old G-Boats you had to throw the toliet paper away or risk clogging it up. But I have never been on a boat that did it. <br><br>As for the radio thing, it probobly comes from “Boat A CALLING Platform B” and calling just got dropped. Oil Field operates by its own set of rules. I mean really do you think the anybody on the platform has a radio license? Theres so much money involved that at the end of the day as long as it dosent effect John Q Public the goverment stays away.

Quit being so picky and cash your pay check. LOL

Improper RT procedure ain’t just an oil patch/OSV thing. PLENTY of tugboats do the same thing. Good news, nobody’s ever given me sh!t for doing it correctly.<br><br>Retired Navy, TYPE A personality sends

Holy Crap, Cheng, are they watching after you squeeze one out? Do they use Jabsco macerators on your boat or do they have a real live MSD? Throw the TP in the head!<br><br>I was making my very first run up the Atchafalaya River somewhere near Crewboat Cut when a downbound tow called me, my name after his, and simply said “I’ll catch you on one, Cuz”. I turned to the AB with a blank stare while he laughed his ass off. On the beach a couple weeks later the manager of the Grande Isle grocery store invited me to join him at the deli case and offered me a “Po’Boy” to enjoy while we loaded up our carts. I told him thanks but I’m straight. That time the blank stare was his. <br><br>But I’m a quick study and for years now I have bounced back and forth between the GOM, Hawai’i, and the Pacific Northwest, geting into character each time I go, having a lot of fun with it 'cause I’m good at blending in. In Bayou La Fourche I’m your cousin Boudreaux, I’m a third generation Makawao Portagee when at latitude 20 N, and you’d swear I’m a Ballard native if you heard me calling Government Locks on 13 ok. I’m not sure who I am when I’m at home.<br><br>The McDonalds, Starbucks, NMC and FCC types would love it if we were all the same, so for that reason alone I’m glad we’re not, and while it can be weird going someplace new we soon realize that damn, they can get the job done just fine too.<br><br>I must observe, though, that the only place I’ve ever come across a guy who holds a USCG medical waiver for Priapism and writes about it with pride is Louisiaine. I think I’m glad for that.<br><br>Kann vou tè dormi, mo tè travay<br><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;]<br><span style="font-family: Arial;]Ka Huakai Maikai!</span></span><br><p class=“MsoNormal” style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17);]<span style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;” lang="EN-GB]Kan</span><span style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;” lang="EN-GB] du snakke sakte?</span><p class=“MsoNormal” style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17);]CA<br><span style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;” lang="EN-GB]</span>

Cheng,this toilet paper issue, is something I have encountered on several unpleasant occasions. Usually this occurs when I’m either on the southern border, close to Mexico or in Mexico…Some cultures find the disposing of TP in the trash more acceptable than the commode…I have yet to figure out why…

<meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content="text/html; charset=utf-8]<meta name=“ProgId” content="Word.Document]<meta name=“Generator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<meta name=“Originator” content=“Microsoft Word 11]<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156]
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=“edit” spidmax=“1026”/>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit]
<o:idmap v:ext=“edit” data=“1”/>
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]–>

<p class="MsoNormal]I gotta tell you. The gulf is a great place to work. Most of
the folks seem nice enough, a little too much nepotism for me but who am I to say
how they hire. In the PNW, most of the guys from the GOM are known to be exceptional
boat handlers. This I can attest to because for the most part it is true. I’ve always
been under the impression that if you wear that hat, you should be a great boat
handler, too much money, lives and such at stake. Thank you all for the answers…
gotta go unclog the trash can……