Gmdss

USCG requires a 2 week program for stcw95 certificate which is valid only on us flag vessels…
when applying for an MCA license this GMDSS certificate is only valid for vessels up to 200 tons carrying the red flag.

why the difference and is there a course in the US that will meet the requirements of an MCA license

My understanding is a 2 week course in the US and a 4 week course in the UK

It’s doable in two weeks - but you may want it to be three or four!
MTSKIER

[QUOTE=mtskier;13870]It’s doable in two weeks - but you may want it to be three or four!
MTSKIER[/QUOTE]

Oy, truer words were never written, Mr. Mate Skier. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, but i think you might have missed the question

Why is-it that the US certificate for the STCW GMDSS NOT accepted on a foreign flagged vessel (red Flag)over 200 tons in international water?

and is there a school in the US that the GMDSS course certificate is valid on the red flag vessels???

I plan on studying in advance for this course, thanks for the input

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;13885]Thanks for the reply, but i think you might have missed the question

Why is-it that the US certificate for the STCW GMDSS NOT accepted on a foreign flagged vessel (red Flag)over 200 tons in international water?

and is there a school in the US that the GMDSS course certificate is valid on the red flag vessels???

I plan on studying in advance for this course, thanks for the input[/QUOTE]

Ah, sorry Mr. 100. Got your gist now. The reason that the US GMDSS isn’t accepted on the red flags is that the US course material oversight is by the FCC (the USCG is still technically in charge of course oversight, but doesn’t really have anything to do with the FCC CFRs/question bank in the course).

MPTUSA in Ft. Lauderdale has an MCA approved GMDSS course. www.mptusa.com

Good sailing,
Fran

Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

The GMDSS course is 7 days in the UK with a minimum of 6 months sea service. STCW.

[U][I][B]seaboyblue Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

The GMDSS course is 7 days in the UK with a minimum of 6 months sea service. STCW.[/B][/I][/U]

I think that is for an restricted gmdss license that is only good for several miles off the coast and also limited to 200 tons

Absolutely not. I have an Unrstricted OOW from the UK.The GMDSS course is a total of 84 hours. I can assure you that my UK GMDSS license is not restricted to any tonnage or limited to any coast.

[QUOTE=seaboyblue;13958]Absolutely not. I have an Unrestricted OOW from the UK.The GMDSS course is a total of 84 hours. I can assure you that my UK GMDSS license is not restricted to any tonnage or limited to any coast.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was getting at seabyblue

#152: GMDSS GOC / STCW
(USCG Approved – See separate MCA listing for UK dates) $1695.

http://www.mptusa.com/schedule/index.html#GMDSS_GOC

MPT has 2 separate classes,one USA and one MCA, I’ll give them a call and see what they say

thanks Capt Fran,:):slight_smile:

[I][quote=Capt. Fran;13936]…The reason that the US GMDSS isn’t accepted on the red flags is that the US course material oversight is by the FCC (the USCG is still technically in charge of course oversight, but doesn’t really have anything to do with the FCC CFRs/question bank in the course). [/quote][/I]

This is not correct. There are two types of GMDSS courses, one week courses that lead only to an FCC licenses, and Coast Guard approved courses that meet STCW requirements. Most of the Coast Guard approved courses will also get you the FCC license, but none of the shorter FCC courses are acceptable for STCW. The Coast Guard conducts audits and oversight of the USCG approved courses (real oversight, not “technically”) and the USCG has no involvement of any kind with the FCC-only courses. There is a list of the USCG approved courses at:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/gmdss.pdf

The Coast Guard approved GMDSS courses are all 2 weeks, this is the minimum we’ll approve, and are half as long as the IMO Model Course used by most other countries. [B][U]IF[/U][/B] the course length is the issue with being accepted by other countries, it still seems a rerasonable trade-off, a very small number of mariners who want a foreign issued document versus making the overwhelming majority of Am erican mariners with no desitre tyo get a foreign certificate go to an extra 2 weeks of training.