Gcaptain jobs?

What happened?

For awhile gcaptain jobs seemed to be taking off in a thriving job market. The job market is still improving, But now gcaptain jobs seems to be floundering with just a handful of employers and a couple of relatively new recruiters posting the same jobs.

Gcaptain Jobs has the potential to be as important as to the maritime employment market as Rigzone is to drilling. Why isn’t it taking off? Is it the server too busy thing? Are employers too upset by what is said about them in the forums?

Hey Tugsailor,
You’re absolutely right about the potential of the job board on gCaptain, and this is something we’re actively promoting right now and reaching out to a lot of companies, but it takes time. Also, considering we’re about a week from Christmas, not many hiring managers are lining up interviews (most likely) so they’re asking us to reconnect in the new year.

A secondary issue is that HR/Recruitment folks don’t necessarily read gCaptain.

If you want to help, please send us the contact details of any HR/recruitment folks you know in the industry and we’ll be happy to reach out to them. The best email is info@gcaptain.com.

Thanks again for the support!
Rob

I found the headhunter and knocking on doors threads to be really useful and have begun copying down recommendations. Hopefully hiring will begin anew next year, because I am ready to move on from my current employer. If I get any info from shipmates I’ll def. pass it on.

[QUOTE=catherder;126389]I found the headhunter and knocking on doors threads to be really useful and have begun copying down recommendations. Hopefully hiring will begin anew next year, because I am ready to move on from my current employer. If I get any info from shipmates I’ll def. pass it on.[/QUOTE]

The forums were very useful awhile ago, but have gone relatively quite in recent months. The jobs section made a quantum leap forward then fizzled.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;126393]The forums were very useful awhile ago, but have gone relatively quite in recent months. The jobs section made a quantum leap forward then fizzled.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’m thinking maybe being the end of the year is part of it. Maybe things will pick up in the new year.

[QUOTE=catherder;126402]Yeah, I’m thinking maybe being the end of the year is part of it. Maybe things will pick up in the new year.[/QUOTE]

I’m not so sure that time of year has anything to do with it. In my experience jobs often pop up over the holidays.

Well the best thing you guys and anyone can do to help us on the job front is to tell your hiring managers about us, especially if you used gcaptain in any way shape or form to gain info or get referrals to a company. The guys doing the hiring and who will pay for listings are not the ones typically browsing the forums and checking the homepage for the latest ship to run aground. So they don’t know.

Also as far as listings falling off, if gcaptain jobs ever had a hayday I sure as shit don’t remember it.

There is a private captain job here in Destin if anyone is interested. All you do is drive a 90’ houseboat from the harbor to the island, stock it with groceries and booze and hang out. Once a year you do need to head to the shipyard in Pensacola. Pay is rumored around $40k with no benefits. You do need to cook for the owner and he will routinely refer to you as “hey mother falker”. Oh yeah travel is required. Either Mexico, hunt camp, etc where you will cook and do what you are told. If you can bite your tongue and say yes sir then you might make it longer then the previous several captains.

A grand a foot is the standard rate for a sporty capt.

Yup. My post was tongue in cheek. It’s a real job, but posted as a joke as I wouldn’t think anyone on this board would be stupid or disparate enough to take the job. And oh, I am NOT the one hiring. There seems to be talk about the cake walk recreational jobs and the grass isn’t always greener.