Future of Navigation Initiative

Hey folks, the USCG wanted me to share this with you all…

Technology has provided all sectors of the maritime community with advanced navigation resources, collision avoidance awareness, and real-*‐time environmental data. There are numerous federal agencies working on technological advances that will help the mariner receive data, transmit data, and generally improve bridge resource management, situational awareness and navigational safety.

Therefore, to help us ensure we are ploting along a course that will meet your needs, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Coast Guard invite you to attend one of our listening sessions to share your comments regarding your requirements for emerging needs for navigational information and service delivery systems in an eNAV environment.

Honolulu, HI: 19 May
Fort Lauderdale, FL: 22 May
Hampton Roads, VA: 22 May
Boston, MA: 3 Jun
Seattle, WA: 3 Jun
New York, NY: 9 Jun
St. Louis, MO: 19 Jun
Alameda, CA: TBD
Cleveland, OH: TBD

Further Information can be obtained at the following website: www.navcen.uscg.gov

An online survey tool is also being developed to allow anyone with internet access to provide input and will be available on or about 15 June.

No “listening sessions” scheduled for the Gulf coast area.

Actually, they had one in New Orleans last week…

That’s good info Rob thanks for posting, anyone have any thoughts on what they want to see on their ECDIS system? I’ve been using Rosé point E.C.S. And am very happy, the updates over the last couple of years have really fine tuned the system as far as I’am concern.

Thanks for the info. What is goal of the program? New regulations? Developing new technology? New strategy based on new technology?