Foreign Recognition of new 'Credential'

I received my new credential with 1600/3000 ton Master and Chief Mate Unlimited. On page 4 it states that I have been duly qualified in accordance with the provisions of regulations:

II/2 (GMDSS)
IV/2
VI/5 (Security Officer)
VI/4 (Medical PIC)

However, it does not include a reference to
VI/1 (Basic Safety)
VI/2 (Survival Craft)
VI/3 (Advanced Firefighting)

I work on foreign-flagged ships and the lack of a specific listing of the last three regulations has been a real problem. Other countries are issuing certificates for these regulations. I was almost denied a license endorsement from Malta because these three regulations were not listed, and I have also had to argue the issue with at least two port state control officers (Italy & Turkey).

Has anyone else run into similar difficulties?

The USCG say that having the underlying license IMPLIES that I am qualified under these three regulations and that it is their policy not to specifically list them on the credential, but how are foreign entities supposed to be familiar with USCG policy? Why not just list them specifically?

Windjammer - I would write a letter to the powers to be and explain to them the situation with other Port State Controls. They may have an answer for you about this.

But, the USCG has a point - you can’t get any license without having Lifeboatman, AFF, and Basic Safety Training.

The letter has already been sent. I was just wondering if other mariners have been facing similar issues working overseas.

I think the issue other flag states have is that in many countries certifications like STCW Basic expire and require a refresher course every five years. Hence, there can be different expiration dates for the license and the individual SCTW qualifications. They want to see each STCW qualification specifically listed, preferably with it’s own expiration date if applicable.

When they do a port state control, the inspector has a list of qualifications required for various officers and he simply wants to check off each individual box. There is a seperate check box for the license, STCW basic, GMDSS, advanced fire fighting, etc. If he doesn’t see a specific qualification listed, he is reluctant to check off the box.

We are lucky that we don’t have to renew our STCW basic, advanced fire fighting, etc. every five years if we keep actively sailing. The way they keep piling crap on I suspect that’s coming soon as well.

Guess we still have to carry all those stupid certificates around…so much for only carrying the MMC.

Did you guys see Danzante’s post about this? NVIC 6-00, Enclosure 3 explains it all.
I just printed a list of what the codes on my MMC mean, along with the particular page in the NVIC that says that all those other things are considered “inherent in the license”.
Both of those things are now folded up and carried in my MMC, and I added a pdf of them to the electronic version of my MMC as well.

Unless you tell them that you can’t get work without it…Then they reissue your M-M-C with a new number and issue date with both RFPNA & OICNW…remember, improved consistency and increased efficiency…Still looking for a job afloat, though a 300 or 400 series excavator is looking pretty good at the moment…
MTSKIER

I sent an email explaining the difficulties encountered overseas and on foreign-flagged vessels by not having STCW VI/1, VI/2 & VI/3 explicitly on my MMC. It took a few weeks, but they sent an endorsement sticker that you place on a blank page in the MMC the explicitly lists the above STCW qualifications, as well as ‘Proficient in the use of survival craft’.

Problem solved!

This is a lot better than trying to argue with a foreign port state control officer in his second language that the STCW qualifications are somehow magically “implied” by the Master qualification, and then showing him some lengthy policy letter.

I hope the NMC will begin to routinely place these STCW references on all new MMCs where appropriate.

[quote=Windjammer;18928]I sent an email explaining the difficulties encountered overseas and on foreign-flagged vessels by not having STCW VI/1, VI/2 & VI/3 explicitly on my MMC. It took a few weeks, but they sent an endorsement sticker that you place on a blank page in the MMC the explicitly lists the above STCW qualifications, as well as ‘Proficient in the use of survival craft’.

Problem solved!

This is a lot better than trying to argue with a foreign port state control officer in his second language that the STCW qualifications are somehow magically “implied” by the Master qualification, and then showing him some lengthy policy letter.

I hope the NMC will begin to routinely place these STCW references on all new MMCs where appropriate.[/quote]

I received my MMC a couple of months ago and they put them on mine without me asking.