Foreign Maritime Training

I’m just curious what would happen if an American citizen went to a Maritime Academy in Europe or Canada and graduated with the equivalent of a Third Mate, for example. What would happen then? I assume that person would not be eligible to work as a Third Mate on a U.S. flagged vessel, since the school is not a USCG approved academy? But what if they then worked as a Third Mate on a foreign vessel and got the documented time to move up to Second Mate, would the Coast Guard accept the documented time working as a Third Mate towards a Second Mate endorsement?

Is it correct to think that if you have a license from the USCG you can pretty much work for any foreign flagged vessel? Is there an advantage to get licensed in one country over another as far as flexibility in where you can work?

You typically need a license from whatever flag state you want to sail under. So Marshall Islands, Panama, etc would be best, as far as options go…every case is different in crossing over I guess as far as what license etc, you would need to be more specific. In many cases they won’t want to deal with an American though so its kind of a waste. No way the USCG will count training at a foreign maritime academy for an original license.

Here is some reading on how the UK system works, as an example.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/workingatsea/mcga-trainingandcert/mcga-cec/dqs-st-stc-cecinfo.htm

I have thought about this already. Thought about going in Poland since its free. I was told by the CG guy jd cavo or something that sea time counts but licenses are not transferable…

[QUOTE=z-drive;116631] In many cases they won’t want to deal with an American though so its kind of a waste. No way the USCG will count training at a foreign maritime academy for an original license.

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean “they won’t want to deal with an American”? I thought lots of big companies hire people of all nationalities as mates or captain? http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/career/operational_level.html#stripe9915 That web page doesn’t say you have to be a particular nationality. Also, doesn’t Maersk hire people from all over?

If you work as a “third officer” on a foreign ship, regardless of the credentials that got you into that position, does the Coast Guard let your “third officer” sea time count towards a USCG “second mate” license?

[QUOTE=MariaW;116634]What do you mean “they won’t want to deal with an American”? I thought lots of big companies hire people of all nationalities as mates or captain? http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/career/operational_level.html#stripe9915 That web page doesn’t say you have to be a particular nationality. Also, doesn’t Maersk hire people from all over?

If you work as a “third officer” on a foreign ship, regardless of the credentials that got you into that position, does the Coast Guard let your “third officer” sea time count towards a USCG “second mate” license?[/QUOTE]

Americans cost to much, they complain about living conditions, they want a set schedule, and if they injure themselves they sue. Foreign crews dont typically hassle the management to much.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;116636]Americans cost to much, they complain about living conditions, they want a set schedule, and if they injure themselves they sue. Foreign crews dont typically hassle the management to much.[/QUOTE]

Everything except the suing is BS. As a matter of fact most non US mariners are more expensive than US Mariners.

I knew some British people that worked offshore in Norway. They said it paid top dollar and the schedule 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off! They were foreigners working over there, I never asked them if there were any Americans. The downside, its hard to get hired over there as any foreigner at all and eventually I think you are expected to pay Norwegian taxes