Foreign License

[QUOTE=PilotWolf;167612]OK, a little thread drift and maybe a silly question.

As I’ve mentioned before I have a UK license and I’m currently working as a deckhand as I am only a green card holder, but I can file for citizenship the 1st week of January 2016.

My current company is keen for me to start driving their boats, so the sooner I can get a USCG license the sooner I can start [company] training.

The current plan is to sit the 100 ton license and radar observer (company requirement), courses and exams at a maritime school given that the pass certificates are good for filing for 12 months, and I can take the exams before actually having the citizenship and turn the papers into the USCG as soon as I have the citizenship papers. If I want to test direct with the USCG I apparently can’t apply to test until after I get the citizenship so this route should save a couple of months.

Anyway the question is would applying for a seaman MMC now speed things up even more as I’d ‘be on the books’? I already have a TWIC card and certifiable sea service, etc.

Thanks.

PW.[/QUOTE]

It probably won’t speed anything up. Your application will still go through the same evaluation process, nothing is omitted by already having an MMC. The only benefit might be already having a medical certificate, but the medical evaluation is typically completed before the professional evaluation, so that’s not really going to turn your application around any faster.