For all you master of tow guys

Some one said for a push tug under 25’ and under 600hp you do not need a captains license. I said I could be wrong but I would think not only would you need a 100ton but also a master of tow??? Cause I see guys pushing 200’ barges with those things all the time

vessels UNDER 26’ do not need a licensed operator. Nor do they need Radar, or radio operators licenses either.

[QUOTE=cappy208;30875]vessels UNDER 26’ do not need a licensed operator. Nor do they need Radar, or radio operators licenses either.[/QUOTE]

Even if thier pushing a 200’ barge?! Seems to me you would want some kind of verification that guy knows what he’s doing. I imagine you could really f*** some shit up with a 200’ barge

Check this out. especially about half way down the page where it starts to be specific about under 26’ towboats.

While I agree there needs to be some adult supervision (I’ve dodged THAT craft like others in NY Harbor), this is the SAME thing a 600’ ATB combination being operated by 1600T Master is it not? Aren’t companies cheating the system by paying a TUG captain to essentially steer a SHIP? Yes, they are more heavily regulated, overseen, supervised etc but the sector got it’s start by circumventing the system.

Just my 02.

Yes that is exactly what a good chunk of the tug and barge business is.
Use a tug and barge instead of a ship and there are a whole host of rules that are not as tough. Manning being the biggest.