Food and Maritime Trades High School

Probably a long shot, but wondering if we have any John W. Brown grads hanging around the forums anywhere? I only know of two in my personal life (my father and his best friend and classmate.) Seems like they are a tough bunch to locate these days, and I’ve never even seen or heard of any out in the fleet.

Class of 1977

They held a reunion at Fort Schuyler once back in 2003, multiple classes and some instructors showed up, but mainly graduates from the 1950s. My father was an engine dept. graduate, class of 1971. Sailed for Mobil a bit and then headed shoreside with stationary engineering. Don’t have a yearbook really or any photos from the time period, but the way he describes it makes it sound like it was a special place, at least to those who went there.

[QUOTE=ShooterMcGavin;120358]Probably a long shot, but wondering if we have any John W. Brown grads hanging around the forums anywhere? I only know of two in my personal life (my father and his best friend and classmate.) Seems like they are a tough bunch to locate these days, and I’ve never even seen or heard of any out in the fleet.[/QUOTE]

Hi! I am a grad from JW Brown. Grad in 1967, Eng Dept.
I have been trying to keep up on what the JW Brown been up to. I wish I was their when thy moved the Brown, It would have been nice to just to watch. I will all ways remember my days working & learning, some things you just never forget.
Yes, Classmates are hard to find, but we keep looking.

Their alumni association website has a lot of constuction for the past few years, so not too sure what they’re up to. Can’t even remember the last time a newsletter arrived for my father. Ironically, he and his classmate will be having dinner together tonight for the first time in decades. I believe his classmate was not the only one in his family to go their either; I believe his brothers were engine and deck grads from 1969 and 1973. An old deck instructor from the mid-1960’s is soldiering on as an instructor at SUNY Maritime College to this day, 90 year old Hugh Stevens.

I also had the privilege of meeting my father’s favorite instructor at the 2003 reunion, his name was Mr. Van Loo. Very nice man, I believe my father said he taught electricity/electric shop. He also mentions Mr. Smolen and Mr. Krustangel regularly.