Flashing Light Requirements

[QUOTE=noefite;185278]OK, so I’m upgrading to my Unlimited Master. I’ve taken the flashing light for 3/M, 2/M and last time for my C/M. With this new requirement, do I need to submit a new certificate for my Master?[/QUOTE]

The short answer is, no, you do not. I upgraded last summer and it was no longer a requirement.

I’ll second this having upgraded two summers ago and didn’t have to take a flashing light test. Upgraded from 3rd to 2nd.

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;185279]Sorry Hoss, but the answer is yes. It is required for all upgrades. It will be the last and most meaningless test you will ever take for the Coast Guard. Also the most fulfilling when you pass it.[/QUOTE]

It’s not. It’s only required for STCW OICNW. It is no longer required to raise the grade of an unlimited license. Did you read anything that came before this post? It’s discussed at length.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;185293]It’s not. It’s only required for STCW OICNW. It is no longer required to raise the grade of an unlimited license. Did you read anything that came before this post? It’s discussed at length.[/QUOTE]

My bad. I didn’t think the Coast Guard ever got rid of anything. Much like ISM, it always seems to be added but never taken away. Are there still questions on the exam about married fall boom ship operations and the difference between the size of the barrels to carry whale oil??? My last upgrade was a decade ago, so again, my mistake.