Fisherman crossing over to tugs . Friendly advice needed. bad advice okay as well

So I have been working on a longliner in Alaska for the past 5 years. Fishing has been fun but the 18+ hour workdays with 6 hour or less sleep shifts on 90 day rotations are getting very old. Not to mention the 24 to 40 hour offloads sitting in freezer holds moving around 50 pound blocks of fish is getting quite tiresome as well. and oh yeah, no benefits. I’m 30 years old its probably time to get health insurance. Other than that its been super fun.

I recently got my AB limited and have been looking at various companies tug or nay. But I am very ignorant to the workings of everything outside the bubble of my boat. Is it worthwhile to get my rfpnw (lookout only)? Is there any other certification I need? Are fishermen even welcome in the tug world and non tug world? blah blah etc etc.

For those of you in the know. Imagine you were in my shoes what moves would you make? I’m looking all over I’m not geographically restricted in my search nor are tugs the only direction I’m going. your also welcome to just criticize me and complain about the post.

-licariman

A LOT of tug boat guys on the PNW are former fishermen or crabbers. You’ll fit right in.

Crowley, Dunlap, Foss, Sause Brothers, and Western Towing are good places to start looking. You might have to fish a little longer until the economy picks back up though.

Like captphoenix says, lots of commercial fishing guys on tugs and other workboats. Easy transition usually because most likely you already have a stellar work ethic and old school values.
Get whatever endorsements you have the means of getting. Lots of tugs will hire abs without rfpnw, a lot won’t too. The more endorsements the more marketable you are.
It’s tough to break in right now, mainly because of the surplus of qualified/credentialed mariners out there these days. Its like everything else…timing and persistance will pay off eventually. Never hurts to know someone too.

[QUOTE=Ctony;181810]Like captphoenix says, lots of commercial fishing guys on tugs and other workboats. Easy transition usually because most likely you already have a stellar work ethic and old school values.
Get whatever endorsements you have the means of getting. Lots of tugs will hire abs without rfpnw, a lot won’t too. The more endorsements the more marketable you are.
It’s tough to break in right now, mainly because of the surplus of qualified/credentialed mariners out there these days. Its like everything else…timing and persistance will pay off eventually. Never hurts to know someone too.[/QUOTE]

So I am only eligible for rfpnw lookout only, is this something worth getting? other than that what other endorsements would you recommend? I most definently have the means to stack certs right now I just have no idea which ones would be useful in my case.

Rfpnw lookout with ab is great start. We just had a guy get that because our office required it. Maybe get lifeboatmen? And tankermen if you can. After that the classes depend on whether you want to go engine room or wheelhouse.

Basic Safety Training and Proficiency in Survival Craft.

Why can’t you get full RFPNW? Are you trying to not go back for another hitch?

I dont think they issue AB without stcw basic safety class already completed.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;181868]I dont think they issue AB without stcw basic safety class already completed.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they require it, as AB is completely separate from STCW, but if they do that’s very recent. I can guarantee that 5 years ago there was NO requirement to have ANY STCW training in order to get an AB rating.

pretty much everyone is going to want you to have BST

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181829]Basic Safety Training and Proficiency in Survival Craft.

Why can’t you get full RFPNW? Are you trying to not go back for another hitch?[/QUOTE]
I was required to get my BST and Lifeboatmen PSC for the AB, so that’s no problem. As for RFPNW my boat rarely has any of us deckhands do wheelwatches. Which is another reason I want to find a job elsewhere. Not to mention if I did another hitch all communications are basically cut off from the world. We have one satellite phone that sometimes works, even when it does I really have zero time to use it. Also it cost me like 2.50 a min to use. So that would not help my job search much.

[QUOTE=licariman;181897]I was required to get my BST and Lifeboatmen PSC for the AB, so that’s no problem. As for RFPNW my boat rarely has any of us deckhands do wheelwatches. Which is another reason I want to find a job elsewhere. Not to mention if I did another hitch all communications are basically cut off from the world. We have one satellite phone that sometimes works, even when it does I really have zero time to use it. Also it cost me like 2.50 a min to use. So that would not help my job search much.[/QUOTE]

If you don’t find anything (very likely) go back and ask for some bridge time to do your assessments. You can’t be an AB on boats subject to STCW without RFPNW.

[QUOTE=licariman;181897]I was required to get my BST and Lifeboatmen PSC for the AB, so that’s no problem. As for RFPNW my boat rarely has any of us deckhands do wheelwatches. Which is another reason I want to find a job elsewhere. Not to mention if I did another hitch all communications are basically cut off from the world. We have one satellite phone that sometimes works, even when it does I really have zero time to use it. Also it cost me like 2.50 a min to use. So that would not help my job search much.[/QUOTE]

Just looked at the rfpnw checklist…looks like the ‘lookout duties only’ doesn’t get issued anymore, effective mar 24 2015.
You need to do an assessment for rfpnw. Any OICNW with at least a year on a boat bigger than 200 grt can sign you off. Its possible I’m not reading this checklist correctly off the nmc’s website, but I suggest you look into it if you haven’t yet.
One would hope that the capt or mate on your boat could make time to help you out with those assessments, assuming they meet the assessor criteria.
Most of us got this endorsement long ago, before it became such a pain in the ass. Hang in there and good luck.

Or go to Fletcher and do the assessments in a simulator. Then you just need to get some bridge watch time and have them captain sign off on your “training”.

[QUOTE=licariman;181817]So I am only eligible for rfpnw lookout only, is this something worth getting? other than that what other endorsements would you recommend? I most definently have the means to stack certs right now I just have no idea which ones would be useful in my case.[/QUOTE]

The lookout only endorsement is no longer issued. See para. 1(b) on page 1 of Encl (1) to NVIC 6-14: “Beginning March 24, 2015, this interim endorsement will no longer be issued.”

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;181868]I dont think they issue AB without stcw basic safety class already completed.[/QUOTE]

Able Seaman is not an STCW endorsement, so BT is not required. But, there is an STCW endorsement for Able Seafarer-Deck and since this is an STCW endorsement, you need BT to get it. See NVIC 14-14. If you get an (national) endorsement as Able Seaman before January 1, 2017, you can get Able Seafarer-Deck without assessments, see para 2.b of Encl 1 to the NVIC.

[QUOTE=licariman;181793] I’m looking all over I’m not geographically restricted in my search nor are tugs the only direction I’m going.
-licariman[/QUOTE]

Look at www.cticrew.com. Coastal Transportation/Seattle is looking to hire an AB to train to become a mate. Hard work but easier than longlining. Benefits. They will invest a lot of time and money into training you, if you have the aptitude.