Fire on the horizon thanks john!

I read the book as soon as it came out. I thought it was a good summation of events. The only complaint I had is the background of the people involved seemed to be slanted towards the author’s fellow SUNY classmates who had little to do with the cause of the blowout though very much to do with the aftermath. They, for the most part, responded heroically.
I know John was in a hurry to get a book out while there was a market for it. I would really like to see him collaborate on another book with well control experts once more facts are known, it would be a nice read. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting an idea of a marine crew perspective of this disaster.
I’m looking forward to the sequel.
Tengineer

[QUOTE=tengineer;54393]…background of the people involved seemed to be slanted towards the author’s fellow SUNY classmates[/QUOTE] Well only one was a classmate, the rest where just friends and people willing to be interviewed (a few are gCaptain fans!). Yes, we should have had more background on the drillers but their loss was more pronounce… so we really didn’t feel right prying. Of course the biggest blame goes to the BP guys in the office but they declined all request for interviews, so we didn’t have much to go on there.

[QUOTE=tengineer;54393]I know John was in a hurry to get a book out while there was a market for it. I would really like to see him collaborate on another book with well control experts once more facts are known, it would be a nice read.[/QUOTE]

Well I certainly wasn’t in a rush… but the publisher sure was!

[QUOTE=tengineer;54393]I’m looking forward to the sequel.[/QUOTE]

I’d love to but you’ll have to convince my wife for that to happen. The advance wasn’t equal to the amount I could have made at sea those 6 months and, although she was glad to have me home, I spent most of the days locked in my office… not exactly the formula for marital bliss :frowning:

[QUOTE=john;54404]

I’d love to but you’ll have to convince my wife for that to happen. The advance wasn’t equal to the amount I could have made at sea those 6 months and, although she was glad to have me home, I spent most of the days locked in my office… not exactly the formula for marital bliss :([/QUOTE]

Having been assigned to write some articles for publication in the past I can understand. Most people don’t realize what damn hard work it is.
Marital bliss? You only get a few years of that in a lifetime anyway. You guys will get your quota, eventually.
Good book, well structured, nice job.
tengineer