Hey everyone,
My name is Eitan Hernandez. I’m 20 years old and trying to break into any kind of maritime work. I live in Alabama and don’t mind driving for a job.
I’m completely green when it comes to the maritime industry. I’ve got my TWIC card already and my MMC is on the way. I’ve applied to about 15 companies near me and followed up with calls, but haven’t had any luck so far.
I’m currently thinking about joining the SIU, but I need two recommendations for that. If anyone can help me out with recommendations or point me in the right direction for getting my foot in the door, I’d really appreciate it.
Depends on how hungry/desperate you are for work. You could work for Mako Unlimited as a Rigger on a supply boat in the Gulf to get your deck time that you need for an able bodied seaman/seafarer. The pay is complete shit, but getting your A/B ticket should be your priority, as not many people are hiring O/S’s.
If you don’t have a family or care about work life balance. You could try Military Sealift Command. They hire ordinary seamen fairly regularly. They will pay for all the training you need to upgrade. However, working with them is hard on most people’s sanity.