Financial Aid For Maritime Training Schools

eh guys, Is there any financial aid or student loans for classes at Meba or any other maritime related schooling.

I think mitags has the GI bill and maybe sally mae?

if you live or work in Louisiana there is grant money available for classes through L E Fletchers.

The grant at LE Fletcher is called the Louisiana Recovery Authority Grant. Catherine Barber is the contact person.

Not as much as there should be. I went looking to see about getting a continuing education loan through Sallie Mae and none of the schools like the Star Center or MPT were listed. But if I wanted to get my Pilots License and learn to cut hair at Bubba’s Fly and Dry school I would have been in luck.

The state funded schools usually have something but the privet ones don’t it seems like.

I know that MPT offers financing just from what their website says.

MaritimeLicenseTraining.com (Atlantic Beach, Fl)

Bob Russo has several classes that he does and he will let you make payments via auto-debit. I just finished Celestial with him and am paying him over 6 months.

In order to qualify for Federal Financial Aid a program has to be at least 600 clock hours. Not sure about approval, but I am pretty sure the school has to be accredited and approved by the DOE.

Most short term maritime courses simply don’t meet the guidelines.

We were told Louisiana isn’t offering grant money this year because of the economy. The vocational schools are the best priced if you live in the state though.

Get a job with most decent companies, even McAllister, and they will pay for you to get or upgrade your license if it fills a need for them. Reinauer and McAllister paid everything for a group of guys getting their licenses through a program put on by King Point.

[QUOTE=capran;32083]We were told Louisiana isn’t offering grant money this year because of the economy. The vocational schools are the best priced if you live in the state though.[/QUOTE]

I have a guy staying at my Bed and Breakfast, A Chateau on the Bayou, right now who is getting his class paid for by the Louisiana Recovery Authority Grant.
He is taking a class at LE Fletcher (LAMPI) this week.
He works for Abdon Callais which is a LA company.
The grant covers anyone that works for a LA company.
You can contact Catherine Barber at LE Fletcher Grants Administration Office.
Her number is (985) 858-2977.
The grants office is located at 4752 Hwy. 311, Suite 113 Houma, LA. 70360.

[QUOTE=capran;32083]We were told Louisiana isn’t offering grant money this year because of the economy. The vocational schools are the best priced if you live in the state though.[/QUOTE]

im at Fletchers this week taking medical care provider…all 3 of us in class are on grant money. Mrs. Barber will hook you up!