Feedback on Heave Compensated Gangways

Professional Mariners,

I have a few questions for you on Heave Compensated Gangways. I’ve been involved in a few projects in the recent past to configure these gangways and I’m interested to hear feedback from the actual users of these gangways.

1. Does the system guarantee safe crew transfer in weather conditions that would be otherwise be deemed “unsuitable” for transfer using other methods?
  2. What’s the worst weather you’ve seen a heave compensated gangway being in used for transfer? (wind speed, wave height)
  3. Have you faced problems using heave compensated gangways for transfer?
  4. Do you see any risks associated with the system?
  5. How widespread is the use of heave compensated gangways? (Gulf / East / PNW)
  6. Do you think these systems would become the standard for crew transfers in, say, a decade?

Thanks!

The only time I have seen and used heave compensated gangways is in the Bay of Campeche. Most large platform complexes operated by PEMEX also include at least one “Floatel” for the extra personnel. They are attached to the platforms via a heave compensated gangway.

I have worked 2 months as a AB on a vessel with a heave compensated gangway and 1 month as a 1st officer. It was in the Netherland and British offshore sector. We had work crews that we were ferrying between satellite platforms. I would say it worked satisfactory. Max wave hight was 2-3 meters.

I must say that I enjoyed the work, at sea 13 days 1 day client change and a new 13 days at sea. You earn DP time fast if you are permanent deck officer on the vessel.

The company that manned the heave compensated gangway was Ampelmann.

@cmakin Thanks for the feedback. It was in one of the snaps of the Edda Fides that I first took note of a Heave Compensated Gangway.

[QUOTE=Kraken;159981]
The company that manned the heave compensated gangway was Ampelmann.[/QUOTE]

@Kraken Cool! Thanks for the feedback… 2-3 m waves would be Sea State 3 at max. If I’m not mistaken, Ampelmann is a Netherlands based company. Did you mean that there were Ampelmann personnel onboard?

[QUOTE=Arch;159983]@Kraken Cool! Thanks for the feedback… 2-3 m waves would be Sea State 3 at max. If I’m not mistaken[/QUOTE]

4 on the WMO sea state code.

[QUOTE=Arch;159983]Ampelmann is a Netherlands based company. Did you mean that there were Ampelmann personnel onboard?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Ampelmann personnel was onboard as crew on the gangway. The crew of the vessel had nothing to do with the gangway. My jobb was to position the vessel alongside the platform on input from the ampelmann operator.