Famous old cartoon of a ship

1 Like

Just wondering if there is any connection to Lykes Brothers Steamship Co also known as Lykes Lines. Sailed on a number of their ships back in the 70’s.

What made you think of Lykes Lines when looking at that last drawing??

The emblem on the cans.

The emblem is for Sigma Coatings. . . . https://www.sigmapaints.com/en/

Oh yes, now I see it.

The drawing is probably from a Sigma calendar, hence the placed advertisement:

1 Like

I assumed as much and it certainly makes more sense. Looking back I sailed on the (Break-Bulk ships) Shirley, Ruth, Margaret, Marjorie, Stella, and Letitia Lykes fairly early in my career. The company had a reputation of being tight on overtime with more than a few belly-robbing stewards. Sorta fit the ship caricatures.
Those trips to the Med, Northern Europe, South America, and the Far East could best be described as the end of an era of days gone by.

1 Like

3 Likes

2 Likes

The parrot will be saved.
But where is the dog? Is he already in the helicopter, the first to have been rescued?

1 Like

I believe I see the aft part of the dog, just above where the line enters the crew mob :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May be…
I had seen this spot as flying false teeth, as the eyeglasses flying above the officers.

Jan Sanders is probably up there chuckling at all the guesswork!

1 Like

OK, but at least this is a maritime thread (plus my seadog), without politics, green mirages or aggressiveness.

1 Like

Love it. Itstarts my day with a smile.

1 Like

1 Like

It seems, my artifice doesn’t work anymore?

I thought I lost your message but I have found it now! Going to try it in tomorrow’s post!