Extension of Assessor Deadline

The deadline to have STCW assessments signed by a qualified person who is not an approved Qualified Assessor has been extended until December 31, 2023.

They either need to scrap the assessor program completely or ACTUALLY ENFORCE IT. Seriously, no one else is going to get their QA, they know there’s no point because the USCG will just keep extending the deadline. Instead of caving to the companies complaining that not enough officers have it the USCG should just tell them to solve their own problem instead of relying on the USCG. Companies can either make it mandatory for employment (which means firing any captains/chiefs without it) or give a raise to those that have it.

3 Likes

So I’m looking at NVIC 19-14 and I have questions that aren’t clearly answered in it and the enclosures, and the checklist for submission.

Is a train the trainer course a requirement or are performance evaluations of “on-the-job conduct of assessment activities” still sufficient? I see section V and VI on the checklist, but there’s no “or” on it.

I’m kind of loathe to go through yet another train the trainer course after all of the ones I’ve taken for other jobs and activities over the years, so I’m just hoping the NMC is allowing an either/or on this.

Any guidance @jdcavo ?

The NVIC is still valid. See FAQ #4 in Enclosure (1). Note that NMC checklists are meant to summarize regulations and policy, they are not, by themselves, policy.

There should not be a time limit on validity of any courses you took in the past.

1 Like

Enclosure (2) to NVIC 19-14 states that the Coast Guard will accept assessments that have been demonstrated in the presence of and signed before January 1, 2024, by an assessor who has not
been Coast Guard approved, provided that the assessor meets the professional requirements in 46 CFR 10.405(a)(3) to assess competence for the specific endorsement.

NVIV 19-14 goes on to say, " In the interim, the Coast Guard will accept assessments signed by mariners who hold an appropriate national endorsement and meet the qualifications described in the table below.

My specific question in regards to the assessments found in NVIC 10-14 for Chief Mate and Master 3,000 GT or More, is can a Master OSV with at least 1 year experience as Master on vessels of at least 1,600 GRT or 3,000 GT sign off on these STCW assessments?

Does the potential assessor have on year of experience master o a vessel over 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT? Will the assessment be done before January 1, 2024?

Yes, and yes

Resurrecting an old thread… anyone got any hint of whether USCG is going to extend (again!) the requirement for a Qualified Assessor to sign off on STCW assessments? Trying to decide how hard to push on getting through my assessments with a non QA assessor. CG’s historical trend of waiting til mid-December to extend is tricky! Wondering if their silence means they’re waiting til the last second to extend, or not extending this time.

They already have…

You have until 31DEC2028 to get them signed off and until 30JUN2029 to get them submitted now.

Anybody know what happens when your assessor lets their STCW credentials expire? I’m about done with AS-D assessments but won’t have the seatime to upgrade before the captain that signed them all lets his STCW go. He’s on the road to retirement, plans on keeping his national credentials one more cycle but not STCW.

Will NMC look back through his records and say “yeah, he had STCW when he signed them”?

Read the fine print in the NVIC that has your assessments. STCW isn’t even a requirement to act as an accessor.

1 Like