Entry Level Jobs?

Didn’t mean to come across as an arrogant time waster, but when literally everyone elsewhere on the internet says “go talk to the people on gcaptain.com” I figured it would be a good idea (and it was, tons of useful info here.)

And by that stuff up there, I can see how it comes across as arrogant, I just meant that I’m ready to cut loose from my landlocked hometown and live, and that I don’t think I’ll miss it much. I don’t have anything holding me here except the rest of this semester. I think I’ll direct my attention mostly to information about NOAA research ships and the like, and come back when I actually know a bit more about what I’m talking about.

[QUOTE=catherder;179924]There really is a lot of good information here already, I suggest the search function.[/QUOTE]

Aye. If the built-in search engine troubles you, try typing this into your favorite Internet browser: “site:gcaptain.com [insert keywords]” i.e. “site:gcaptain.com research ships”

A geologist will make more money than an OS or AB will. Jobs are scarce right now. My advice is to stick with your field.

[QUOTE=Adventurer;179937]Didn’t mean to come across as an arrogant time waster, but when literally everyone elsewhere on the internet says “go talk to the people on gcaptain.com” I figured it would be a good idea (and it was, tons of useful info here.)

And by that stuff up there, I can see how it comes across as arrogant, I just meant that I’m ready to cut loose from my landlocked hometown and live, and that I don’t think I’ll miss it much. I don’t have anything holding me here except the rest of this semester. I think I’ll direct my attention mostly to information about NOAA research ships and the like, and come back when I actually know a bit more about what I’m talking about.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe I used the pointy stick on you a bit soon (look that up, too), but you did get snippy because you didn’t like what people had to say. You asked for info and sorry, that comes with opinions, too. You don’t get to pick and choose who replies to you and how.

Now, off to the search function with ye.

Welcome to the maritime industry, it is really made up of a bunch of delightfully fuzzy, good natured and charming folks! OP, it is going to be hard to get in to the industry entry level right now. You can try the SIU apprentice program but it will be quite a few hoops to jump through and possibly a year or more before you get a real job (that and your free time will be spent taking semi-mandatory classes at the union school).There are other options, but again it will be a while or a couple years before you are actually working and able to spend your free time “climbing mountains and exploring”. If you are really hell bent on it and don’t mind the idea of being semi-homeless or having severe sleep deprivation go to the west coast, maybe an area like Seattle you can join IBU, MFOW and SUP, find some kind of night job and hang out in the union halls during the day (IBU doesn’t have a hall that I know of but you can get on their list) You might get something but there is no guarantee (and that is only after you’ve spent 1000k+ on documents and training). Even if you do get out once, you won’t be spending the time thereafter vacationing, trust me, you will be more interested in saving and trying to get on for the next job to become a full member so it doesn’t end up taking another 8 months to land a 30 day assignment…get it?

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with geology. Try to get an internship with an oil company. Either way you toss it, it isn’t likely that you are going to get to live your dream right now, having time off “climbing mountains and exploring”. The way things are at present, it is not going to happen over night. You are better off getting an internship using your geology degree, preferably with an oil company (or any place) even if you won’t be making much as as I stated-the maritime route, you won’t be making very much (or any) money anyway. If you stick with geology, when things pick back up you can get an awesome job with a rotation that will allow you to travel and explore to your heart’s desire ( you have to do your own research about exactly which geology path will lead to that). From my understanding it is still possible to get started with one of those companies now because they want to have the people ready and trained for the next boom. Here is just one site for reference, I always see them advertising that they are hiring college students and grads for internships etc http://www.shell.com/careers/students-and-graduates/degree-matcher.html

If you go work on a yacht as entry level, you won’t get time off. You will live on there year round and work 6.5 days a week with maybe two weeks of unpaid vacation a year. You won’t get a rotation until after maybe 3 or 5 or 7 years. You can always try to get into deliveries but you will probably be working for free for awhile, since you have no experience.

[QUOTE=cajaya;179947]

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with geology. Try to get an internship with an oil company. [/QUOTE]

That might be a tough row to hoe right now. I just scanned USAJOBS for the hell of it and came up with numerous hits.

There ya go OP. USAJOBS. Government service. USGS, BLM, Agricultural Research Service, etc.

NOAA is still an option if he wants to look at the NOAA corps…

Now, if you get an interview, the first question out of your mouth should not be about vacation. Or else you get the pointy stick again.

[QUOTE=catherder;179924]Don’t come here (research ships). We don’t need any more arrogant assholes than we already have. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

hey, the wee lad could become a “blueberry” and give you orders in a high pitched sqweaky voice

I think c.captain’s got the pointy stick stuck up his ass.

Checking out NOAA Corps. I also recently applied to the U.S. Antarctic Program, which while completely irrelevant, would be amazing, though I doubt I’ll hear back this first time before I get some more relevant experience.

[QUOTE=Adventurer;179952]I think c.captain’s got the pointy stick stuck up his ass. [/QUOTE]

punk!

[QUOTE=Adventurer;179952]I think c.captain’s got the pointy stick stuck up his ass.

Checking out NOAA Corps. I also recently applied to the U.S. Antarctic Program, which while completely irrelevant, would be amazing, though I doubt I’ll hear back this first time before I get some more relevant experience.[/QUOTE]

The thing about research vessels, if you go on them…you might get to work alongside scientists and geologists who are doing exactly what you want to do—research!
If you get with a university, you may even get help with tuition, or free tuition. So if you decide to go that route don’t discount applying directly to universities that own research vessels. I think I may have heard a rumor somewhere in my travels about Columbia university offering tuition related benefits to their research vessel employees who had been with them for a long time.

[QUOTE=Adventurer;179894]I need to move somewhere coastal. [B]I may look for yacht work too[/B].[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;179954]
punk![/QUOTE]

Hahahahahaha he has no freakin idea.

Hey kid, I mean “adventurer”, why don’t you go use the search function and beat it…if you have any questions please refer to my first comment (post #2 on this thread)

Try Raytheon Antarctica. They supply the scientist helpers for the national science foundation on the Antarctic research vessels Nathanial Palmer and Lawrence Gould. You rig and work on deck getting experiments overboard, trawling nets or hauling crab pots. Home ports are punts arenas, chile and Christchurch, New Zealand. They are hiring now.

Working on a yacht is pretty much indentured servitude. You might get a few hours off a week to yourself.

[QUOTE=c.captain;179951]hey, the wee lad could become a “blueberry” and give you orders in a high pitched sqweaky voice[/QUOTE]

That’s because of the chipmunk they keep stuffed in their underwear. Clamps down on the acorns. Why do you think I suggested it?

Right up rock boy’s alley.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Adventurer;179952]I think c.captain’s got the pointy stick stuck up his ass.

Checking out NOAA Corps. I also recently applied to the U.S. Antarctic Program, which while completely irrelevant, would be amazing, though I doubt I’ll hear back this first time before I get some more relevant experience.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure the guys at McMurdo Station will wet themselves with glee at the thought of snapping up such a rare prize. You totally belong down there.

Methinks I have seen this thread title before!
http://gcaptain.com/forum

Perhaps that will help you some. Good luck.

• Updated - - -

Sorry, incorrect link.
Here you go:http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/17623-entry-level-jobs.html

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;180014]Methinks I have seen this thread title before!
http://gcaptain.com/forum

Perhaps that will help you some. Good luck.

• Updated - - -

Sorry, incorrect link.
Here you go:http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/17623-entry-level-jobs.html[/QUOTE]

That’s a good thread, sounds like I need to go out and get my MMC and TWIC very soon if I want to be taken even remotely seriously by many here, judging by responses to OP.

[QUOTE=catherder;180013]

I’m sure the guys at McMurdo Station will wet themselves with glee at the thought of snapping up such a rare prize. You totally belong down there.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on, I’m working on it. I may not have the experience now, but I’m every bit motivated to get it. I know two people personally who have managed to get jobs down there, it does happen.

[QUOTE=Adventurer;180015]

Oh come on, I’m working on it. I may not have the experience now, but I’m every bit motivated to get it. I know two people personally who have managed to get jobs down there, it does happen.[/QUOTE]

Were they wearing tuxedos by any chance?

Hah, I don’t believe they hire penguins.

why are you STILL here? why aren’t you climbing and exploring?

please just go find yourself a mountain, take all your clothes off and leave us grown ups to our professional discussions

just look at the rocks he is squatting on…are they sedimentary, metamorphic, or igneous?

NOW BEGONE WITH YOU FROM THIS PLACE FORTHWITH!

[QUOTE=Adventurer;180026]Hah, I don’t believe they hire penguins.[/QUOTE]

They also don’t hire “scientists” who have to be spoon-fed information that can be had at a mouse click. Did you even do an internship?

It took me 60 seconds to find dozens of jobs- just in federal service- that you could possibly be qualified for. USAJOBS. You should go there, seriously. Go there, and type in “Geologist” and sit back and be amazed.

I work around scientists. Ok? Guess what. About 5-10 percent of their time is doing “cool shit” like diving marine monuments, playing with ROVs and such. The OTHER 90 percent is research, paperwork, sitting at a computer, studying specimens, reading dry research papers, preparing reports, composing and replying to emails (and these days, scientist emails are heavily scrutinized) etc. It ain’t fucking National Geographic. It ain’t Jacques Cousteau! It’s a lot of drudgery and long days/weeks away from home. On old ships, for the most part, cramped, not all that cozy, with one or more roommates, in weather that may go south with little notice.

What the hell are they teaching you guys now? I really think some of you watch too much TV because the reality doesn’t line up with your expectations.

Jaysus H. F. Keerist on a popsicle stick. If I were young like you and had my degree, I’d be slaying dragons.