[QUOTE=Adventurer;180026]Hah, I don’t believe they hire penguins.[/QUOTE]
They also don’t hire “scientists” who have to be spoon-fed information that can be had at a mouse click. Did you even do an internship?
It took me 60 seconds to find dozens of jobs- just in federal service- that you could possibly be qualified for. USAJOBS. You should go there, seriously. Go there, and type in “Geologist” and sit back and be amazed.
I work around scientists. Ok? Guess what. About 5-10 percent of their time is doing “cool shit” like diving marine monuments, playing with ROVs and such. The OTHER 90 percent is research, paperwork, sitting at a computer, studying specimens, reading dry research papers, preparing reports, composing and replying to emails (and these days, scientist emails are heavily scrutinized) etc. It ain’t fucking National Geographic. It ain’t Jacques Cousteau! It’s a lot of drudgery and long days/weeks away from home. On old ships, for the most part, cramped, not all that cozy, with one or more roommates, in weather that may go south with little notice.
What the hell are they teaching you guys now? I really think some of you watch too much TV because the reality doesn’t line up with your expectations.
Jaysus H. F. Keerist on a popsicle stick. If I were young like you and had my degree, I’d be slaying dragons.