Entry level engineer positions

Hello all,
Sorry for any redundancy but I haven’t been able to find any help or answers.

I’m looking for engine time to get my qmed. I have all docs and plenty of certs as I sailed in the Gulf for 1.5 yrs on deck.

I would happily travel anywhere for the opportunity but I have home bases in the Northeast and Central Florida.

I’ve been searching for a long time and simply don’t see openings for entry level engine work. At this point I’d volunteer just to get the time for qmed.

Is there any advice you all have or somewhere you can point me that might help me find such work? Even the siu hall said they don’t see much of it.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

The job market really sucks right now so I’m not surprised you can’t find Wiper positions. You could consider doing the SIU apprentice program and going engineering. If you’re serious about volunteering you could check out the Oliver Hazard Perry. It’s a square rigged ship in Rhode Island but it has a large power plant with modern systems. I think it’s over 4,000 HP also but you could double check that when you contact them.

It has (2) Cat C12 385hp ea. Mercy ships may be a better volunteer route but volunteers pay their way I believe.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;181233]It has (2) Cat C12 385hp ea. Mercy ships may be a better volunteer route but volunteers pay their way I believe.[/QUOTE]

I was told by a former engineer that it requires an Unlimited HP license (minimum of DDE Unlimited), I think because of all the auxiliaries it runs.

I saw the sea shepard society advertising that they were looking for an engineer. You never know, they might take a wiper too. That would be something to write home about! Kind of risky and dangerous though, I suppose it depends on how desperate you are.

[QUOTE=cajaya;181240]I saw the sea shepard society advertising that they were looking for an engineer. You never know, they might take a wiper too. That would be something to write home about! Kind of risky and dangerous though, I suppose it depends on how desperate you are.[/QUOTE]

if you do get on with the SS and when you see the great PHARSCIAL PHRAUDULENT PHONEY PHUGITIVE PHAT PHLATULENT PHUCK tell him hey from me.

then give him a knee to the balls

http://www.ohpri.org/employment
Looks like DDE 1000 is the bare minimum (I think they left off a zero)

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;181244]http://www.ohpri.org/employment
Looks like DDE 1000 is the bare minimum (I think they left off a zero)[/QUOTE]

Yep, you’re right. I guess the guy I talked to didn’t fully understand what they required.

If you really want to volunteer, consider Project Liberty Ship John Brown up in Baltimore. You don’t need a credential at all to come and help out, but realize that this is a museum ship and the work is maybe 2 days a week at best in the off season, and a bit more in the summer. They do get underway on day trips. I highly recommend getting in touch with them. The told me they do issue sea service letters if requested.

http://www.ssjohnwbrown.org/

Ok. Thanks to all for the input. I understand there are academies and veterans and similar people to fill officer spots but it’d be nice (and a good way to fill crewing gaps) if there were more avenues for hawespipers. I know at my last job, problem was that USCG manning requirements for the large ships (which they almost all were, or they all were becoming) needed QMEDS specifically and wipers dont fill the billet.

Still, post if anyone gets a lead and thanks again.

[QUOTE=amon;181324]Ok. Thanks to all for the input. I understand there are academies and veterans and similar people to fill officer spots but it’d be nice (and a good way to fill crewing gaps) if there were more avenues for hawespipers. I know at my last job, problem was that USCG manning requirements for the large ships (which they almost all were, or they all were becoming) needed QMEDS specifically and wipers dont fill the billet.[/QUOTE]

There’s no bias against hawsepipers, there are just NO jobs right now.

Hawsepiper or not, there’s always a job out there. How bad do you want it? Keep looking.

Won’t pay as much, but you’ll get the required experience …

http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/explore-positions/marine-technical-operations/

[QUOTE=kfSeadog;181387]Hawsepiper or not, there’s always a job out there.[/QUOTE]

Two years ago I could have had a new job within a day. Recently it took me a hair over 3 months to get one and I only lost out on one. I out license most people and that’s how long it took me.

[QUOTE=kfSeadog;181387]How bad do you want it? Keep looking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, keep looking, but not everyone can wait three months or more with no work.

Thanks again to you all. I’ll check out that link but generally I stay away from cruises and disney because I have tattoos I cant cover and have been turned down at the door at a few places already - even the Coast Guard.
Still, worth a shot. I’ll do whatever it takes. And I’ll keep you all posted too.
Thanks!