Entry Level Employment...again

Well I’m new at this. After 21 years at my current employment I’m retiring. Actually switching careers is a better term. But with the talk of the almost non-existing opportunities for entry level positions within the Mariner Services …it can be sort of demoralizing. Well I got an email from a Kirby Corp recruiter to contact them once I complete by BST (04/30/12 – 05/04/12) and a RFPNW class and it’s assessment.

I’d always preferred large ocean going cargo or tanker ships. The local Union indicated that they can get me work as entry level OS/Wiper/FH but only after the BST and a RFPNW class and it’s assessment (3 day course). Since nothing is 100% certain, Kirby looks like an opportunity I can’t or shouldn’t pass. My problem is that I am a dedicated employee. Once I grab employment I am there for 20+ year (or until retirement). It is my understanding that Kirby is a Tow/Tug Boat company. And a very impressive company.

Four questions:[ol]
[li]Should I wait for what I prefer (Oversea Container/Cargo)? [/li][li]What is it like working for Kirby?[/li][li]Does Kirby operate on the West Coast?[/li][li]Does Kirby operate within the offshore arenas (oversea movement)?[/li][/ol]
Thanks.

My understanding of kirby is that they are a mississippi river company, though a very large outfit. They recently bought k-sea which runs east coast (mostly new york and philly) but I think they left that as it’s own company that does it’s own hiring. I do not believe they work foreign at all.

If you want to ship on big ships try msc. That seems to be the most consistent world traveling opportunity for american mariners.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;67715]My understanding of kirby is that they are a mississippi river company, though a very large outfit. They recently bought k-sea which runs east coast (mostly new york and philly) but I think they left that as it’s own company that does it’s own hiring. I do not believe they work foreign at all.

If you want to ship on big ships try msc. That seems to be the most consistent world traveling opportunity for american mariners.[/QUOTE]

They used to (and maybe still do) run some ocean tugs, coastwise and to the Caribbean. Maybe you should check their website.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;67715]If you want to ship on big ships try msc. That seems to be the most consistent world traveling opportunity for american mariners.[/QUOTE]

Concerning entry level MSC positions…

Kirby has repainted one tug here on left coast that was K-Seas. They have about 10 ocean going tugs that tow oil up and down the west coast.

Do not take the Kirby job, if you want the deep sea shipping job. Kirby’s bread and butter is pushing 2 peice red flag units on the ICW. You will start as a deckhand, and after a couple years MAYBE move up to tankerman. All very hard physical work, 6 hrs. on, 6 hrs. off for little pay camparatively. Stick with your dream, you have had it long enough, don’t settle for less.
good luck

Kirby is a good company. I worked there for a little while pushing 3 barges up and down the Mississippi. I’m not sure what the deal with their offshore fleet since I left before they started buying up everyone. It looks like they are trying to grow their offshore fleet but if you’re looking to get on a tanker and go over seas, I wouldn’t bet on it. We asked them at orientation if they would ever get any tankers to go over seas and they said they had 2 small ones in the past and sold them and didn’t think they would ever do it again. I’m not sure what their wages are now, but I know when i was there, it was a little low for a deck hand but with the 2-1 they work, people won’t struggling. They train their tankermen (or they did when I was there) so moving up shouldn’t be a problem. Its all in what you want.