English

According to CFR 11.201 An applicant for an officer endorsement must demonstrate an ability to speak and understand the english language

CFR 12.05-3 Requires applicants to speak and understand english…

We all understand the reason for this,working in the conditions that we do…

The following link is a bit dated, but I thought it was interesting…It is from the federal register in reference of CFR title 49, this is related to the trucking industry, which is the background that I came from…It is the withdrawl of the requirement for commercial vehicle operators to read and speak english…How in the world do they think this is a good idea I will never know.It appears they buckled under pressure from the ACLU…

I have noticed many similarities between the maritime and trucking industries , and these changes seem to mirror each other quite often…I sure hope this doesn’t come our way…

http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2003-07-24-03-18597

The Maritime English requirement is an International thing, hopefully insulated from the whims of the ACLU. Check out the SMCP, a 129 page document, Google it up with the following:
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]IMO STANDARD MARINE COMMUNICATION PHRASES:cool:
[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think NAFTA had something to do with the commercial trucking requirement.

[QUOTE=injunear;25356]I think NAFTA had something to do with the commercial trucking requirement.[/QUOTE]

It’s sure possible, NAFTA really turned the transportation industry on it’s ear and lot of politics were being played out…Canada wasn’t much of a problem, with the exception of Quebec, but the south of the border crowd was having a real problem with it and we,the US, bent ourselves over to accomodate them…

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;25355]The Maritime English requirement is an International thing, hopefully insulated from the whims of the ACLU. Check out the SMCP, a 129 page document, Google it up with the following:
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]IMO STANDARD MARINE COMMUNICATION PHRASES:cool:
[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of things…thanks, I’m going to give this a good read…

P.S. Thanks for the help concerning the Edison, I owe you one…

.http://www.imo.org/Safety/index.asp?topic_id=357