Engineers tonnage requirements

Why is there no reference to tonnage requirement listed in 46CFR 1-40? Plenty of Horsepower requirements but (as I can find) not one instance of tonnage requirements?
The reason I ask is I have a CH. Engineer who has a license as Cheif Engineer of Motor vessels unlimited horsepower but restricted to 3000 tons. He would like to upgrade but is having a hell of a time finding information and I can’t find that one in the CFR. And I don’t dare ask NMC because of past experience an what I feel is their unabilty to answer such questions with out “I’ll get back to you” (USCG for being blown off)
Anyone know where the data is for the various tonnage stuff is for the engineers?

[QUOTE=tugboat146;75428]Anyone know where the data is for the various tonnage stuff is for the engineers?[/QUOTE]

Does he already have someone to read the machinery manuals for him?

Everything he needs to know is in 46, let him figure it out or stay where he is. An engineer who can’t or won’t find the rules is a liability.

Also check the Marine Safety Manual Vol III chapter 12.

This is no way to say this nice, You are a snapper head and probably always will be. You are one of the reasons I don’t vist this site much. Go Screw your self

[QUOTE=tugboat146;75437]You are a snapper head and probably always will be. You are one of the reasons I don’t vist this site much. Go Screw your self[/QUOTE]

Oh no, now I feel like crying …

Good grief kid, if you and your chief engineer buddy can’t even find out something so simple as how to upgrade or even figure out what a lower level license is then don’t be surprised when you get dope slapped for being a fool. If an entry level guy asks a question like that he would get a reasonable answer, but geez, when a chief engineer can’t even ask and has to have you ask for him ( assuming that your “have a chief engineer” means you are a master and he is your bitch or something) and you don’t know what a lower level license means then you deserve to get whacked.

And I am dead serious, in today’s regulatory world, a chief engineer who can’t even figure out what his own license means and how to progress professionally doesn’t have much of a future and represents a liability to an employer.

Personally, I don’t think it would be a loss to the industry if both of you got out and leave the jobs to those who are interested enough in the industry and their career to learn how it works. Or at least learn enough to know what questions to ask … and you wonder why the NMC blows you off.

[QUOTE=tugboat146;75437]This is no way to say this nice, You are a snapper head and probably always will be. You are one of the reasons I don’t vist this site much. Go Screw your self[/QUOTE]
Steamer…I’m sitting here eating a deep fried whole snapper trying to figure out how “snapper head” is supposed to be an insult. LMAO!

[QUOTE=injunear;75441]… trying to figure out how “snapper head” is supposed to be an insult. LMAO![/QUOTE]

Ooh, that sounds goooood, just thinking about a nice hot out of the oil deep fried snapper made me stop crying! Thanks.

He probably meant that he felt like he got bit in the ass for being such a freaking moron.

are you talking 3000gt or 3000 ITC?

Try comparing the domestic part of his license to the CFRs, you’ll have better luck seeing that the answer actually is there.

Thank you KPEngineer. 3000 ITC I believe,
I am just looking for tonnage requirement for the limited engineer licenese and/or where they can be found. Like I said the CFR does not mention tonnage just horsepower. While some might have other ideas I thought this might be a good form for information. But as I see nothing has changed. This evening I am gonig to delete my user information and leave this site. It reminds me of watching children or drunks. Neither of which I care for.

You might believe there is enough water ahead of the boat but if you don’t know how to read a chart your employer and the CG won’t be amused.

Like I said the CFR does not mention tonnage just horsepower.

That might be what you believe but we do not work in a belief based profession. When you stop running away, sit down and read 46CFR 11.501.

If you figure you don’t need to know how to read the CFRs, why do you think they have questions about them on license exams?

Run away, you haven’t brought anything useful here anyway. If you want your butt wiped, go ask your mother. If you want information, ask. When you show up saying that something doesn’t exist, something that a mariner who “has a chief engineer” is expected to know like he knows his own phone number then expect to get your ass handed to you.

But it does mention tonnage, that’s their point. What is the difference between a Chief (ltd) and Chief (U/L)? … Tonnage! HP has nothing to do with it.

The limited license scheme can be slightly confusing because the USCG uses the term “unlimited” for both tonnage and HP. Don’t think of HP as defining the license but tonnage. raising the HP isn’t a “raise of grade” but increasing the tonnage is.

I’m not going to give the answer but I will help you find it on your own. They are right though that a Chief Engineer should understand both the scope of his license and where it fits into the scheme. He should also have a good handle on the CFRs.

BTW - is this any vessel or an OSV license? Very different answers.

To pick a nit, it is not a voice between gt and ITC because gt is ITC. The options are grt and gt; grt has “domestic tonnage” after it in parenthesis and gt has “ITC tonnage” after it in parenthesis.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t think I was using the right term but thought it was close enough to make the distinction.