Engine Department - Tugs/Towboats versus OSVs

My current goal, aside from obtaining my first MMC, is to eventually work my way up the engine department.

From what I gather, tugs generally have one body manning the engine room. OSVS, on the otherhand, may have a whole department dedicated to the engine room(s). From wipers to the Chief.

Aside from gaining experience on whatever I can get aboard, and ignoring the recent decline in the GOM, is there more opportunity for the engine room aboard OSVs.

Do transitions from a tug deckhand, or deckineer, to the engine room happen often?

Yes, all the time. Especially deckineers. In time you can apply and test for your Oiler ticket and eventually DDE license. Engine room people are generally more needed than deck people, in my experience.

I have to agree with you slick cam. I work on OSV’s in the gulf and I am a deckineer (deckhand that changes oil). You mostly see deckineers on your 100 ton boats, crew boats, mini OSV’s things of that nature. Only until you are getting into the larger boats do you have a full crew that works the engine room… Most companies will not hire you as that though. They will bring you in, train you and put you there. My company has it where you have to work on the boats for 6 months before they even consider putting you in the engine room…

Stay/go engine, this from a deck people.

I’ve bounced back and forth between the two over the years, and from my observations usually there is more of a need for competent engineers than deck folks. Usually there are quicker opportunities going the engine route. Seems like more entry level people go the deck path rather than engine from what I’ve seen.

Up until recently, you could get an engine license with less prerequisites also. But that’s all changing with the stcw requirements. Whatever you choose to do, continue to get endorsements and upgrade when you can.

[QUOTE=Ctony;167299]I’ve bounced back and forth between the two over the years, and from my observations usually there is more of a need for competent engineers than deck folks. Usually there are quicker opportunities going the engine route. Seems like more entry level people go the deck path rather than engine from what I’ve seen.

Up until recently, you could get an engine license with less prerequisites also. But that’s all changing with the stcw requirements. Whatever you choose to do, continue to get endorsements and upgrade when you can.[/QUOTE]

Not that it had an influence on my interest to pursue the engine department, but from what I have read suggests the same.

I’m counting chickens before they hatch before ever having a hen to start with. Nevertheless, I was just curious about the chance advance, to and within the ER, aboard tugs versus OSVs.

Just wondering if one would spend years as a tug deckhand before gaining enough experience to qualified to work in the engine room. Nothing wrong with that. Curiosity is all.

On an OSV where I’ve been in the marine industry 2 yrs, this is my first time as engineer… Now given my first job was on crew boats, and now I’m on a whole mother animal. If you show that you want to be there, put forth the effort, stay up after your time to go to sleep an go in the engine room with the engineer you’ll get there in no time. The engineer, and if you have a decent capt will take you and see your trying and teach you every opportunity YOU give them… Me, I got where I am because I did that and now 8 months with the company this is my second hitch as engineer and I still have ALOT to learn, but I try and have spent my whole tower in the engine room tracing lines and just seeing how shit works… If you try, you’ll succeed… If you wait for it to fall in your lap and someone to take you by the hand and show you, you’ll be a deckhand forever… To sum it up in easier terms, don’t be a lazy fuck and give a shit and you’ll get there…

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;167301]Not that it had an influence on my interest to pursue the engine department, but from what I have read suggests the same.

I’m counting chickens before they hatch before ever having a hen to start with. Nevertheless, I was just curious about the chance advance, to and within the ER, aboard tugs versus OSVs.

Just wondering if one would spend years as a tug deckhand before gaining enough experience to qualified to work in the engine room. Nothing wrong with that. Curiosity is all.[/QUOTE]

Lots of tugs run unlicensed engineers. Some companies require their engineers to be licensed, some don’t. Would you have to start as a deckhand before having a chance as an engineer? I suppose it would depend on the particular company, regarding advancement and such. The ‘deckineer’ title applies to a lot of unlicensed engineer/deckhand positions on a lot of osvs and tugs, under 200 grt.
As we know currently its tough getting jobs right now, so to answer your question about tugs vs. osvs, I’d say get a job wherever you can.

Currently looking for deckineers. Send current resume to the following.

tugboatchief72@yahoo.com

Just sent you an email