Employment on a tanker ship

I am currently an AB unlimited. I wish to find a job on a tanker ship with Cheveron or ConocoPhillips. I noticed both companies prefer some one with a tankermans endorsement. From what I understand I need to take the course and that will get me my tankermans assist. Then get my 90 days on a tanker ship send in my sea time and apply for my tankermans. Can any one recommended a good school that is cheap to take the course. I dont think Young in Morgan City has it. I was thinking maybe Sea Scool In Alabama. MPT in Fort Lauderdale is a good school from what I hear but expensive. Also if anyone knows of a company that may hire some one without it for the first 90 days would be helpful. I am also more than interested in going over seas and working long hitches. Any advice would be great from some one that works as an ab on a tanker ship.

I should also add with how bad things got in the Gulf back around last November I moved back up north and got a job on an inland tug and barge company as a deckhand. A huge step down. I went from making $327 a day to $150 a day. Even with the current situation in the Gulf I would think if I made the trip back down south I could do better than that with an unlimited AB with nav watch endorsement. I took this job just for the time being to get back on my feet money wise. Inland is not the way I want to go and miss working offshore.

Just looked at my paperwork and Fletcher in Houma, LA has tankerman for $408.

Cool. I know right where its at. I’ll be going there for sure. Do some job hunting while I’m there to. Thanks. Most schools I looked at wanted about $900.

[QUOTE=SeaMonkey6969;168797]I am currently an AB unlimited. I wish to find a job on a tanker ship with Cheveron or ConocoPhillips. I noticed both companies prefer some one with a tankermans endorsement. From what I understand I need to take the course and that will get me my tankermans assist. Then get my 90 days on a tanker ship send in my sea time and apply for my tankermans. Can any one recommended a good school that is cheap to take the course. I dont think Young in Morgan City has it. I was thinking maybe Sea Scool In Alabama. MPT in Fort Lauderdale is a good school from what I hear but expensive. Also if anyone knows of a company that may hire some one without it for the first 90 days would be helpful. I am also more than interested in going over seas and working long hitches. Any advice would be great from some one that works as an ab on a tanker ship.[/QUOTE]

It’s hard to tell what you’re planning. It sounds like you want Tankerman-Assistant now, and then plan to get Tankerman-PIC soon after.

Notwithstanding the question of why an AB would need Tankerman-PIC on a tank ship, your impression of getting the PIC endorsement seems flawed.

Tankerman-PIC requires:

[ol]
[li]90 days on a tank ship;[/li][li]Documented participation in 10 cargo transfers;[/li][li]A “cargo course”: and[/li][li]A fire fighting course.[/li][/ol]

The “cargo course” you need for the PIC endorsement is NOT the same as the course for Tankerman-Assistant. The Assistant course is called “Tank ship Familiarization” and the PIC course is called “Tank ship Dangerous Liquids.”

The fire fighting course is “Basic Fire Fighting” and you can use the same course as for STCW Basic Safety Training, as long as it was taken in the past 5 years.

Yes that’s correct. I was going to get the tankerman assist and then the PIC. I wasn’t aware of the cargo class though. I knew about the 90 days and transfers. I have my fire fighting.