Employment agencies-good or bad idea?

Hey guys,<br><br><br>I was curious to get some feedback about employment agencies. I’ve been told by a lot of people that they are a bad idea and to stay away, and others have said that it’s easier and worth the fee to not have to deal with all the leg work finding a good job. So, I"ve talked to a few employment agencies just out of curiousity and they seemed receptive at first, then blew me off of course. <br><br>Anyway, good idea or bad idea? If a good idea can you guys recommend the good ones? thanks.

There are only two I trust and recommend. Fast-stream for shoreside jobs and Kelly Sweeney’s Maritime Headhunters for shipping jobs.

Here’s the contact info, tell them John at gCaptain sent you. If they blow you off, come back and let us know about it… but I’m sure you’re going to be happy with the outcome.

Maritime Headhunters
Kelly Sweeney
Phone: 360 678-3350
Fax: 360 678-7086
Address: P O Box 7 Greenbank, WA 98253

Fastream:
954-467-9611
Offshore Jobs: Rob Almeida - -John

Not to say anything bad because I have never used one, but there was a guy at Abdon Callias when I went in there that was sent there by an employment agency that was told he had a job all he had to do was show up in Loisianna at there office at 8am and talk to such and such, well when I went in there it was 3 in the afternoon and he hadnt talked to anyone yet. They took me on in and talked to me and he was still there. Not sure if it was the guys fault or Abdon Callais/ employment agency? Ive always been told to stay away from them?

do not ever use seaport marine out of mobile. they are the worst group of people in the whole industry

I know and respect <a title=“Kelly Sweeney’s employment service” target="_blank" href="http://www.maritimeheadhunters.com]Kelly Sweeney and would endorse his services by name only I’m Anonymous…<br><br>So he has my whole-hearted anonymous endorsement!

I been getting in touch with Capt. Kelly as well, he hasnt done anything for me yet, but the few emails Ive got from him he seems like a very personable guy. He even invited me to join him for lunch when he was driving thru my town, but Im still on my ship for another couple months. <br>My impression is that hes a real stand-up guy. He said he will try his best to get me what Im looking for. <br>If I was on the shore and had my bags packed, Id certainly give him a call.<br><br>My name is Stellarseas, and Ive approved this message. lol!

Capt. Sweeney if finding me a job right now, too. I highly recommend him, but don’t tell him Fran sent you. I take my cues from Capt. Anonymous and use a pseudonym while posting…

Your secret’s safe with me, Capt. Fran.<br><br>CA

I use my real name, and I recommend Capt. Kelly!

Kelly is a stand up guy who will work hard to find you a gig. His services are worth every penny, and you can tell him I said so.

[QUOTE=stick;3451]do not ever use seaport marine out of mobile. they are the worst group of people in the whole industry[/QUOTE]

I called them this morning out of curiousity and they aer VERY smooth operators… I dont mean “smooth” as in honorable, straight shooters either. I mean “smooth” as in a con man that can talk an old lady out of her pension checks and talk her into signing over the deed to her house. I asked them what happens if they put me on a shit boat with a shit company and I leave after one hitch. They said if that happens to let them know and they will work with you. Something leads me to believe their definition of “making it right” is charging you the full 14 days wages fee and then offering to do it again after they screwed you the first time.

I already have Capt. Kelly working to find me a gig, and so far he has been a very stand up guy just like everyone before me has said. It seems like his AO is a bit different from mine though so I’m not super confident about him finding the right fit for me. Tomorrow I’m heading down the bayou to try to drum up a job in person. If that might work I will probably sign on with Crewservice of Louisiana in Morgan City again. They arent my first choice by a longshot, but they spread their fee out over 90 days and if you quit before 90 days you only pay for the days you worked. Fair enough for me…

I WAS BLOWN OFF BY KELLY SWEENY BUT I HAVE HAD REAL GOOD LUCK WITH JOHN DAVIS AT NORTHSTAR MARINE

[/QUOTE]
Here’s the contact info, tell them John at gCaptain sent you. If they blow you off, come back and let us know about it…

Maritime Headhunters
Kelly Sweeney
Phone: 360 678-3350
Fax: 360 678-7086
Address: P O Box 7 Greenbank, WA 98253

Fastream:
954-467-9611
Offshore Jobs: Rob Almeida -
-John
[/QUOTE]

How are their fees? I’ve dropped a line with faststream but haven’t heard back yet. Haven’t tried Cpt. Kelly yet. I don’t have a lot of $$ to throw around so hopefully these guys are good priced.

jkdubs- Watch out for any recruiter from Alabama, they will charge you full-fee weather you complete the hitch or not. John; Talked to Kelly April 1st, talked about a couple jobs coming up in 3 weeks, then nothing, guess he blew me off. John Davis is the best guy I know.

Kelly emailed me, internet was down for a week, he’s placing alot of people.

Just wanted to say that I regret any implication that Capt. Kelly Sweeney was less than a stand-up guy.

Capt kelly Sweeny has been working hard to get me some work as an AB Unlimited in fact he calls me all the time and so in retrospect i have nothing bad at all to say about Capt Kelly Sweeny. If your going to use a Headhunter i would suggest Capt kelly over all of them. His phone number is (360) 678-3350 or look him up on the net.