Elliot Bay tugboat races 2014

Alas https://www.flickr.com/photos/captaintimb/7005075984/

[QUOTE=rshrew;137794]Alas https://www.flickr.com/photos/captaintimb/7005075984/[/QUOTE]

Lots of good tug photos in that album.

[QUOTE=capnfab;137705]I’ve got some images to upload, but Photobucket isn’t cooperating.

Polar Sea sat at Broadway for a few weeks before shoving off for the West Coast. Light boat.

One of the crew, an assistant engineer/deckhand maybe, married a secretary that worked in Vane Bros’ office. I think she packed up and drove west as her new husband went the long way via tugboat.

As far as I know, Polar Sea was the last wooden hulled tugboat to tow into the harbor.

As soon as I can figure out to get them posted, I’ll have pics.[/QUOTE]

Good Morning. Searching for images of the Polar Sea and the Kulshan Ferry I came across your post. Just wanted to let you know that today is the 31st Anniversary of the Secretary and the “assistant engineer/deckhand” (he was the actual Engineer). I did indeed pack my bags one year to the day of the Polar Sea docking at the Pier in Fells Point. It makes me smile to think we are a part of the Maritime History of Baltimore. My family has been in Baltimore coming up on eleven generations and it is where my roots will always be rooted. Thank you for making my day even brighter. Good Day to You. The Secretary and the Engineer. (:

[QUOTE=capnfab;137720]Mid ships close up of tug Polar Sea. I believe that is Capt. John Anderson, Association of Maryland Pilots.

Stern view of tug Polar Sea arriving Baltimore, 81 or 82. I’ll see if the Baltimore Maritime Exchange has a record.

Apologies for the not so great images. I was 15 or 16 years old using a manual camera. Sometimes, I just didn’t get the settings right.[/QUOTE]

Good Morning. It was November 1982. I know this for sure, because I am the Secretary who married the Engineer of the Polar Sea. He was standing in because the ship was short staffed and he was a friend of Dan Stabbert’s. I believe you talked to him a few years back when he was searching for photos. We are celebrating our 31st Anniversary today. We were married a year to the day “my ship came in” as they say. Thank you so much for the beautiful reminder of how it all started. Not much to look at, but it changed my life forever. :slight_smile: Have a Great Day. Linda and Jeff T.

[QUOTE=Baltimore to Seattle;147877]Good Morning. Searching for images of the Polar Sea and the Kulshan Ferry I came across your post. Just wanted to let you know that today is the 31st Anniversary of the Secretary and the “assistant engineer/deckhand” (he was the actual Engineer). I did indeed pack my bags one year to the day of the Polar Sea docking at the Pier in Fells Point. It makes me smile to think we are a part of the Maritime History of Baltimore. My family has been in Baltimore coming up on eleven generations and it is where my roots will always be rooted. Thank you for making my day even brighter. Good Day to You. The Secretary and the Engineer. (:[/QUOTE]

The above post reminds me of what a marvel the internet truly is. Fantastic!
31 years. Wow.
I have pics of Polar Sea arriving in Baltimore that morning long ago, but they aren’t the best. A teenager, a manual camera and film processing by Fotomat left much to be desired.
Not sure if you remember me, I often stuck my head in Vane’s offices to chat with the elder Mr. Hughes. (Duff’s grandfather) I was just a teenager then and the “out of town” tugs that docked at Broadway in front of Vane’s office brought me down nearly every day. It was certainly a different time.
I am away afloat at work right now, but will dig out those negatives and run them through my scanner and see what I can do with them. If you would like copies, I would be happy to send them along to you.
Thanks for writing.

It should warm the stone cold hearts of all the old farts like myself who fondly recall the MikiMiki tugs from daze gone by that the ex POLAR SEA is now the GALENE. Fully restored and now a beautiful live aboard yacht, she sits at the foot of Stoneway in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. Found some pics of her at Shipspotting.com for y’all to oogle…

[QUOTE=rshrew;137696]We did, I ran the Arctic Titan and avg. speed was 14.3 with some left in the tank if I needed it. Boat still had 90k gal of fuel on her too. Was a fun race![/QUOTE]

We run C175 Cats in the tug I’m running too. Those things are a force to be reckoned with when you pour on the coals but they get thirsty.

[QUOTE=c.captain;148149]It should warm the stone cold hearts of all the old farts like myself who fondly recall the MikiMiki tugs from daze gone by that the ex POLAR SEA is now the GALENE. Fully restored and now a beautiful live aboard yacht, she sits at the foot of Stoneway in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. Found some pics of her at Shipspotting.com for y’all to oogle…[/QUOTE]

Polar Sea looks great. Last time I saw her, I was going up to Swan Island on Matson’s Manukai (the 1968 version) in August 0f 1999. She was sitting near the St. John’s(?) bridge.
I’ll be sure to pay her a visit when I am out in Seattle next spring.