Crew needed for Western Alaska tug fleet 2016 season - CROWLEY - anchorage, Florida

Crowley is looking for Mates, AB’s and Engineers for our Western Alaska Fuel Distribution Fleet 2016 Season*

More…

[QUOTE=gCaptain Jobs;173028]Crowley is looking for Mates, AB’s and Engineers for our Western Alaska Fuel Distribution Fleet 2016 Season*

More…[/QUOTE]

These are union jobs (Local 5000 of the United Steelworkers) at the lowest mariner wages in Alaska. No wonder they are already looking for guys that won’t sail until May. No wonder they are always looking.

Oh Crowley.

I’m surprised the topic of them shitcannjng senior officers as a result of a ridiculous 30 minute simulation hasn’t come up. Deep sea masters with lots of experience too.

Haha. They brought a bunch of their officers into our local maritime school’s simulator a few years ago for that now-infamous 30 minute assessment. Fired a couple of them on the spot after they were finished. Allegedly for failing to plot position immediately upon taking over the watch.

yes ha a few Crowley masters and chief mates in a class not long ago, incredible bullshit. Sounds like it’s still going on. Approach Singapore in foolish traffic on a big ship alone with every type of fake traffic only a 3 year old could think up.

[QUOTE=z-drive;173095]yes ha a few Crowley masters and chief mates in a class not long ago, incredible bullshit. Sounds like it’s still going on. Approach Singapore in foolish traffic on a big ship alone with every type of fake traffic only a 3 year old could think up.[/QUOTE]

I have heard about a simulator exam for new hires that is no big deal, but not what you guys are describing.

I doubt they do the simulator for their Western Alaska mosquito fleet.

Sounds like they already wanted to shitcan these folks before they ever stepped foot in the class. Theres no fucking way someone actually thinks simulator performance is grounds for firing. And employees should be warned before entering the simulator that they can be fired based on performance.

Most people are hungover or half paying attention anytime we get called in on our off time for bullshit training. We wouldn’t have any personnel left if they actually did hiring and firing based on training performance.

As I understand it, Crowley does use a simulator exam to screen out potential new hires. I have not heard anything about a high percentage of failures.

How could Crowley “fire on the spot” at simulator training without any employment due process? It’s a big company with a big HR And legal departments. I cannot envision that.

Also, it’s a union company, where are the unions? If Crowley were actually firing people on the spot for poor performance at simulator training, wouldn’t they be bring the union business agent and a union lawyer to the trainings? Oh I almost forgot, these are the phony maritime unions that don’t actually represent their membership.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;173168]As I understand it, Crowley does use a simulator exam to screen out potential new hires. I have not heard anything about a high percentage of failures.

How could Crowley “fire on the spot” at simulator training without any employment due process? It’s a big company with a big HR And legal departments. I cannot envision that.

Also, it’s a union company, where are the unions? If Crowley were actually firing people on the spot for poor performance at simulator training, wouldn’t they be bring the union business agent and a union lawyer to the trainings? Oh I almost forgot, these are the phony maritime unions that don’t actually represent their membership.[/QUOTE]

They’re allegedly masters and chief mate’s who may not have the union representation others do. Just repeating a story i have hear multiple times, from multiple people (some very reliable sources). Any master on a crowley managed ship will tell you the same thing.

I met a few of the western Crowley guys earlier in the summer they all had jumped ship and ran to Foss for a better summer schedule

[QUOTE=rshrew;173217]I met a few of the western Crowley guys earlier in the summer they all had jumped ship and ran to Foss for a better summer schedule[/QUOTE]

Foss pays a lot more, and offers a much better schedule. No one in their right mind would stay with Crowley if they had a chance to go to Foss.

What was the schedule? I was offered a 2nd maye job for 520$ per day but i think it was 3 months on and off. To long for me.

And every position has to hold a pic endorsement