Edison Chouest Offshore Officers Meeting, Wed 1/22/14

You do know that Harvey is hiring, right?

I agree with you Captain Louis. This is the kind of backstabbing cowardly BS that makes my job hard. Other than that it is easy. I wish I could have been there to say a couple of things that I think could benefit the morale on some of the boats that are In need of it. As far as pay, benefits, 401k and all that stuff how can you complain. I got a brother that has been with Tidewater for almost a year working as AB with a 1600 ton master oceans that complains less than this guy. I think that positions on the vessels should be performance based first, crew relations second and if you are good in those category’s the go by seniority. Too many good people suffer under miserable people in this industry and it makes me sick to think that this is going on for 2/3 of their lifetime. Reward the people with good crew relations so we can be more comfortable in the workplace and not so distracted by the evil ones. Put a the bad apple’s in one basket and let them rot. And stop putting brand new Third mates out of the academy on all the new boats. There are plenty of great Hawspipers that are more deserving of the opportunity to learn the newer technology. I know they got the job postings at the training center but they should send them to the vessels so people can know if they have the right credentials for a better opportunity within the company. This would keep good motivated employees from leaving the company because they cannot upgrade to a bigger license or promotion. And if they are already sending the postings to the vessels then I am being kept in the dark.

Another thing. If people were there and didn’t say anything but have something to complain about when it is a over and everyone is at home then the company might be inviting the wrong people to the party.

If they said that you can ask anything you wanted they new money was going to come up should have put up are shut up now it’s way to late to talk now they know that guys on there boats are always going to want a pay increase

I would like to see the Chouest create a pay scheme that allows for performance based raises. The smaller companies I have worked for had a sliding pay scale for each position. If your job performance outshines your coworkers you should be rewarded. When everyone is stuck at the same rate regardless of effort, there is no incentive to do a good job. We seem to have lost that value within Chouest and I am sure within most of the larger companies.

All that attended the meeting were given a pen and and index card to give suggestions. If you had issues you didn’t feel comfortable bringing up, you were given the opportunity to ask that way. I am sure many of them had to do with compensation. If you missed out there should be another meeting in a few months.

I’m unfamiliar with these meetings held within the company. Who’s allowed to attend and where are they typically announced and held?

Needlegun, the job postings are emailed to the boats and if the wheelhouse isn’t letting people know like they are supposed to, well you are probably shit out of luck.

I’d just like even time to be non mystical creature that requires a virgin sacrifice to get. There is a pretty high hill of bullshit that I can put up with working 21/21 or 28/28.

[QUOTE=Number360;129176]I would like to see the Chouest create a pay scheme that allows for performance based raises. The smaller companies I have worked for had a sliding pay scale for each position. If your job performance outshines your coworkers you should be rewarded. When everyone is stuck at the same rate regardless of effort, there is no incentive to do a good job. We seem to have lost that value within Chouest and I am sure within most of the larger companies.

All that attended the meeting were given a pen and and index card to give suggestions. If you had issues you didn’t feel comfortable bringing up, you were given the opportunity to ask that way. I am sure many of them had to do with compensation. If you missed out there should be another meeting in a few months.[/QUOTE]

I have managed a sliding pay scale for a smaller OSV company and it makes perfect logical sense. The problem is thar the Captain making $10 more dollars than the rest can’t keep his pie hole shut. Then the Manager (me) has to explain to 100 Middle Aged cry babies why they aren’t getting paid
the same wage as the other guy. It then creates a shit storm of biblical proportions that can’t be stopped.

This system works in almost every shore based company in America, mostly because people don’t discuss how much they make. Not sure what it is about sailors but it seems their pay rate is an open book to share with the rest of the world.

[QUOTE=Saltine;129210]I have managed a sliding pay scale for a smaller OSV company and it makes perfect logical sense. The problem is thar the Captain making $10 more dollars than the rest can’t keep his pie hole shut. Then the Manager (me) has to explain to 100 Middle Aged cry babies why they aren’t getting paid
the same wage as the other guy. It then creates a shit storm of biblical proportions that can’t be stopped.

This system works in almost every shore based company in America, mostly because people don’t discuss how much they make. Not sure what it is about sailors but it seems their pay rate is an open book to share with the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

As it should be. With all the other disgusting crap that gets talked about by the rest of America (“Oh my god, did you see Britney flash her twat on TV by accident last night!?”) the least of our problems is talking about our salaries. I think it’s ridiculous that people are ashamed to talk about money. It’s positively childish. In this industry the problem isn’t talking about it, the problem is being a cry baby because you make less than someone else. All men are created equally be we aren’t meant to stay that way. Some get ahead, some fall behind. If you’re behind, it’s you’re job in life to claw your way to an ahead position. Getting screwed by your company? Get a new job. There’s plenty to be had in this industry.

I think it’s pretty universal on ships to talk about salary, when you’ve been at sea for a few weeks and you reach the point that you re-tell the same story for the third time, the salary is the only topic that is interesting to talk about.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;129212]As it should be. With all the other disgusting crap that gets talked about by the rest of America (“Oh my god, did you see Britney flash her twat on TV by accident last night!?”) the least of our problems is talking about our salaries. I think it’s ridiculous that people are ashamed to talk about money. It’s positively childish. In this industry the problem isn’t talking about it, the problem is being a cry baby because you make less than someone else. All men are created equally be we aren’t meant to stay that way. Some get ahead, some fall behind. If you’re behind, it’s you’re job in life to claw your way to an ahead position. Getting screwed by your company? Get a new job. There’s plenty to be had in this industry.[/QUOTE]

Talking about wages isn’t wrong or right, it just makes things more convoluted. The people who cry are the problem with this country in general. If you cry enough someone will pass a bill or give you something free that will sooner or later make you feel entitled to it.

[QUOTE=Saltine;129215]Talking about wages isn’t wrong or right, it just makes things more convoluted. The people who cry are the problem with this country in general. If you cry enough someone will pass a bill or give you something free that will sooner or later make you feel entitled to it.[/QUOTE]

Sing that sweet, sweet, gospel Brother Saltine. Sing it to me brother! Can I get an AAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMEN!? Hallelujah!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;129208]Needlegun, the job postings are emailed to the boats and if the wheelhouse isn’t letting people know like they are supposed to, well you are probably shit out of luck.

I’d just like even time to be non mystical creature that requires a virgin sacrifice to get. There is a pretty high hill of bullshit that I can put up with working 21/21 or 28/28.[/QUOTE]

Time to trade in the Orange for the Orange and Black

I actually don’t understand why there is so much complaining about other companies making more. It seems that if you’re not happy with your pay… go to that other company that DOES pay more. If you don’t then there must be some reason why you stay where you are… either the company is great in other ways… or you aren’t motivated enough. There are lots of other places to work… why stay somewhere that you want to burn down?

The problem with sliding scale pay is that there can be a big difference between what the employer wants to see and rewards and what the mariner thinks is important and thinks should be rewarded. I guess the one pay per grade makes it simple and takes one complaint out of the equation. I guess they can make up for it by giving the better employees promotions, better schedules or nicer assignments?

Chouest will change what they do when what they are doing stops working… ie when they have problems manning the boats and have customers experience problems. It seems like there are tons of applicants every day… some experienced… some less so that would love to have a chance.

Wah wah wah I make way less than y’all gulf Guys, by choice! I don’t cry about being underpaid, as its my choice! If I wanted more money I’d work elsewhere. I choose to work where I do because of factors beyond pay, of course I want more but 6 figures for equal time I’m not complaining. If i want a raise ill go elsewhere! Wah wah wah cry cry cry

No kidding. I make less as a mate than most of the ABs on an osv. However ill be heading down there real soon to try and get my piece of the pie.

[QUOTE=z-drive;129264]Wah wah wah I make way less than y’all gulf Guys, by choice! I don’t cry about being underpaid, as its my choice! If I wanted more money I’d work elsewhere. I choose to work where I do because of factors beyond pay, of course I want more but 6 figures for equal time I’m not complaining. If i want a raise ill go elsewhere! Wah wah wah cry cry cry[/QUOTE]

Not everybody is crying about their pay.

Of course! Plenty of guys are grateful for making a good living. I’d say everyone including OS/wipers make more than the average American on the beach.

[QUOTE=z-drive;129322]Of course! Plenty of guys are grateful for making a good living. I’d say everyone including OS/wipers make more than the average American on the beach.[/QUOTE]

and that is sad. When I first started sailing we made about average but less than the steelworkers and auto workers. The wife stayed home and took care of the kids and ran the home. We worked at sea because we liked the life and could save some money if we didn’t spend it on “port activities”. Now it takes two people working to just be able to pay for the rent and a way back and forth to work, if you can find work.

Still believe in the old Republican adage “Trickle Down Economics”? Craptain fartknocker got it right: the only thing trickling down to the worker is billionaire piss in your face.[QUOTE=craptain_fartknocker;129071]anyone else attend that circle jerk on wed? 1/22/14

what a load of shit it was. "we are #1 in new boats, we are #1 in man hours, we are #1 in growth, we are #1 !!! .

yeah? blow me…

ya know what your not #1 in? you’re not #1 in pay, You’re not #1 in 401k matching, you’re not #1 in benefits, you’re not #1 in basically everything we actually give a shit about.

fat ass billionaires having a company meeting to basically piss in our faces about how rich they are. but ask one of these silver spooned cock smokers about a raise and they act like you’re some money grubbing bum. fuck you and your meeting.

makes me wanna burn this mother fucker down.

what did you guys think?[/QUOTE]