Edison Chouest Boat C-Retriever Attacked Off Nigeria

That’s ridiculous! Pay the ransom and they go home. Having the Nigerian military do something is not good.

I agree, this wont be good

Sadly it probably won’t go well. From what I understand, the Seals made the opportunity to end Phillip’s ordeal, somewhat against White House orders. But since it went well, the Administration took the credit. Wonder if they will be involved this go round?

Fox News covered it this morning, though they couldn’t properly pronounce Chouest. Praying for a good outcome.

[QUOTE=“AHTS Master;123110”]This has been going on for years over there and there’s still no fix for the problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes there is. Send in our marines and kill all the bastards so that they become the example of how piracy is d ewe alt with. Also with just the capt and cheng taken are they looking into the crew?

Here’s the latest from CNN.

Search on for U.S. mariners in Nigeria

Ditto with PDCMATE. I’ve worked with people who have either been kidnapped, or people knew someone directly who was kidnapped in Nigeria. This has been going unreported for decades, and if not for the interest in the Captain Phillips movie, we would probably not have heard anything about it this time. It is almost a cottage industry, with law firms in place to effect the money transfers. Typically, the ransom is low enough to paid by a company without any intervention from the govt. In most cases, the hostages are well cared for, but in one instance there was a captain who took a rifle butt to the face. Broken jaw, teeth and a detached retina.

[QUOTE=This has been going unreported for decades, and if not for the interest in the Captain Phillips movie, we would probably not have heard anything about it this time. It is almost a cottage industry, with law firms in place to effect the money transfers… /QUOTE]

^^^^^
The silence from ECO seems to support this ‘cost of doing business’ Considering the oil and gas potential ($$$) in that region, the risk must be worth it. Hopefully all goes well for the captain and CE.

tough for the crew but this is just how the locals get their share of the oil that is being pumped in their backyard and then all sent up north.

[QUOTE=powerabout;123212]tough for the crew but this is just how the locals get their share of the oil that is being pumped in their backyard and then all sent up north.[/QUOTE]

I really can’t believe you just said that. With the rampant amount of corruption, bribery, and just out right stealing that goes on in these 3rd world countries, no where is murder and kidnapping of innocent working class people considered acceptable. There are way more civilized ways to get there share.

I have deep sympathy for this innocent crew and pray that the Nigerian navy does not do something stupid to get them hurt or killed.

I know this type of thing has been going on over there kind of under the rug for years, but it seems that recently it has gotten seriously more violent and is escalating fast.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;123213]I really can’t believe you just said that. With the rampant amount of corruption, bribery, and just out right stealing that goes on in these 3rd world countries, no where is murder and kidnapping of innocent working class people considered acceptable. There are way more civilized ways to get there share.

I have deep sympathy for this innocent crew and pray that the Nigerian navy does not do something stupid to get them hurt or killed.

I know this type of thing has been going on over there kind of under the rug for years, but it seems that recently it has gotten seriously more violent and is escalating fast.[/QUOTE]

I would think Chouest pays a large premium to the US crew working in Nigeria to compensate for the stress of the constant threat of kidnapping. If so the crew knew it was a risk and that is why they make the big pay check. They probably weren’t completely shocked when it happened.

Your wrong about that. They do not pay a premium.

They kidnap all kinds of people, not just americans. Anyone who will pay…

I really don’t understand why anyone would work there if there is equal or near equal pay elsewhere, it seems like such an unnecessary risk.

first I’ve heard of anyone getting less than at least 1.5x pay

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;123213]I really can’t believe you just said that. With the rampant amount of corruption, bribery, and just out right stealing that goes on in these 3rd world countries, no where is murder and kidnapping of innocent working class people considered acceptable. There are way more civilized ways to get there share.

I know this type of thing has been going on over there kind of under the rug for years, but it seems that recently it has gotten seriously more violent and is escalating fast.[/QUOTE]
Most of it never makes the news, Maersk lost a whole AHTS and the crew were taken to a hotel and guarded till ranson paid, boat looted a few years back.
Crew killed on shore either for not selling fuel or mugged once they have the money
Some company’s have a lot more bad luck over there than others…hint hint
How would things be in the GoM if all the oil was piped north ( to Washington) and there were no GoM people or company’s involved in your own backyard??
http://www.nairaland.com/213952/petition-division-nigeria-into-3

[QUOTE=“powerabout;123228”]first I’ve heard of anyone getting less than at least 1.5x pay
][/QUOTE]

Ha they give us from 50 to 100 more a day from what I’ve been told by my friend who have worked there. You only make your money by not coming back to the usa for tax reasons.

Years ago, we used to get $25 a day “chop” money. Haven’t really kept up on the latest. I’ll work anywhere on the west African coast in a heartbeat, except for Nigeria. I’d rather pick up cans on the side of the road to pay the light bill than go back there.

I’m not hearing anything about getting these guys back. Anyone hear anything? I’m amazed there is only passing comments in the news - nothing more, and nothing recently. I hate to say it, but it almost seems large ship guys get the attention and small vessel " work boat" guys get hung out to dry. Now I’m a large ship guy, and don’t misunderstand my comment but where the hell is the support of the USN and in general our government in getting these guys back home?

As far as we know, the kidnappers haven’t contacted ECO yet. Our sources say it takes around 7 to 10 days (typically) for the kidnappers to make first contact. Not sure why the delay, but I’d say that considering the media attention, first contact may happen sooner rather than later. Honestly, this is one of the bigger stories we’ve ever worked with from a mainstream media attention standpoint.

When I worked there in the early nineties kidnapping was rampant back then. They would take you off the boat & you were treated well. The company gave the village/tribe some rice &/or guyree (Nigerian vegetable maybe some money then people were let free. BUT, that was the early Nineties. Off the coast in the Escravos area. The boat I was on was boarded a few times, but we were never taken hostage.

Bribery was rampant when I was there.

As far as the North/South situation it was strained to say the least. The North is where the government is & is mostly Muslim, whereas the South is relatively poor & Christian.

Just my $.02