Eat your heart out Rebel_Rider...the latest addition to the c.captain fleet

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;81482]Now we wait til nightfall then you, Reb and I will jump out and catch them by surprise…[/QUOTE]

Dolan…you’re a geniuous!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;81482]Now we wait til nightfall then you, Reb and I will jump out and catch them by surprise…[/QUOTE]

Wait, who?? oh my.

It would be perfect for storming Castle Anthrax…

[QUOTE=Jbird;81414]Can anyone say ‘breaking bad’?[/QUOTE]

OH MAN! Such wanton bizzare ugly gratuitous violence…

Yeah…I’m there!

Sounds like you have it figured out!

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;81506]Sounds like you have it figured out![/QUOTE]

I’m just trying to see if there might be a better option for me and to yak as I love to do. Maybe I’m deck but that doesn’t mean that I don’t get turned on the the scent of #2 diesel. I huff the stuff any chance I get…reminds me of my boyhood daze working with my dad on his gillnetter. Old wood hulls absorb fuel odors like nothing else and the smell of wood permeated with that pungent liquid takes me right back. Of course, that is also when I learned to loath Detroits… oh the noise, noise, noise…

My vote would be for the tried and true i6 Cummings. If you want something simple yet tough, I’ve heard plenty of good about them.

Somebody say “Yak” ??

[ATTACH]2305[ATTACH=CONFIG]2306[/ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

Tarpon 140? Not bad, I like my Trident 13 so far.

[QUOTE=c.captain;81484]Before Ford introduced the Powerstroke series, they used an IHC manufactured naturally aspirated 6.9l and then a 7.3l turbo’ed engine. Doing the research as to what specifically changed with the Powerstrokes but I am thinking a 7.3l IHC pre-Powerstroke is my way to go because of cost and simplicity to install or I can get a 6.9l for cheap and if not already equipped, can retrofit a Banks turbo to it.

Any comments from the peanut gallery?[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the slow response sir, I had to fly to work Thursday, and some how PHI got my back pack on a different chopper than I was, and it wound up on a seadrill rig. I just got my computer back this morning.

You are correct the 6.9 IH and the early 7.3 engines are very good and very reliable. I had one with over 300,000 miles on it. They did not start putting electronics on the 7.3 until about 1994, that is what made them a power stroke was the electronic injectors, and the addition of a turbo. Everything before that is mechanical injection and would be very simple to install in about anything.

If you can find an old 6B cummins with a P-pump they are mechanical as well, very good engines, also in alot of old farm equipment, and dodge trucks. They were close to the same year going to electronic injection.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;81578]Somebody say “Yak” ??[/QUOTE]

what do you have for power in that thing and is it DP?

yak!

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;81730]Sorry about the slow response sir, I had to fly to work Thursday, and some how PHI got my back pack on a different chopper than I was, and it wound up on a seadrill rig. I just got my computer back this morning.

You are correct the 6.9 IH and the early 7.3 engines are very good and very reliable. I had one with over 300,000 miles on it. They did not start putting electronics on the 7.3 until about 1994, that is what made them a power stroke was the electronic injectors, and the addition of a turbo. Everything before that is mechanical injection and would be very simple to install in about anything.

If you can find an old 6B cummins with a P-pump they are mechanical as well, very good engines, also in alot of old farm equipment, and dodge trucks. They were close to the same year going to electronic injection.[/QUOTE]

Been already searching Craigslist and there are a ton of the IHC engines available for cheap so I am definitely going that route. Now is there anything I should know up front about doing the diesel conversion? I believe the clutch and gearbox (a Clark 285V 5spd) are beefy enough for the higher torque so it should be mostly just mating the bellhousing to the block. I had seen somewhere about a different flywheel as a possible thing needing to be changed (dual mass vs. single)?

How do I find out if my radiator would be adequate?

[QUOTE=c.captain;81737]Been already searching Craigslist and there are a ton of the IHC engines available for cheap so I am definitely going that route. Now is there anything I should know up front about doing the diesel conversion? I believe the clutch and gearbox (a Clark 285V 5spd) are beefy enough for the higher torque so it should be mostly just mating the bellhousing to the block. I had seen somewhere about a different flywheel as a possible thing needing to be changed (dual mass vs. single)?

How do I find out if my radiator would be adequate?[/QUOTE]

If you can find an old donner truck, maybe a late eighty’s to early ninety’s F-350, you could probably rob almost everything you need from it. that would give you the radiator, and most of your brackets that you will need. I know transdapt makes adapters to fit different engines to all kinds of transmissions. There is another company that makes adapters, I will see if I can find the name of it. For the fuel system, you will need to run a return line for the diesel back to the tank, and you might wind up having to run a bigger supply as well. Diesels pump alot more fuel than gas engines, even though they return 75% of it back to the tank. Banks makes a sweet turbo and after cooler set up for the 7.3 mechanical engine. Industrial injection makes some stuff for the hot rod side of the 7.3 I have a 7.3 in a 2001 F-250 with their stage four injectors, a high pressure fuel pump, a GT 38 turbo on it and a aftermarket aftercooler. It is rated at about 750 HP and is a daily driver that gets 17 mpg, plus It will out run most stock camero’s and even the stock mustang GT. Elite diesel is another good place that makes 7.3 stuff. I think BD diesel performance makes some good transmissions and adapters as well.

I just rememberd that some of the 7.3 with a manual transmission does sometimes have a spring loaded flywheel, they call it an inertia bank or somethink like that. I always just pull them off, throw that stock spring loaded flywheel in the trash. There is a place in Mobile that sells a solid fly wheel for them if you are going to use the manual transmission, called clutch products. The last one I bought for my girl friends dually was about 300 bucks for the new fly wheel. It uses the same clutch, and it never goes bad like the spring loaded one. They only put them in the trucks a few years. I think it was later in the 2000’s though. The girl friends truck had one and hers was a 99 or 00 model.

Used to have a jeep yj with a cummins 4.2L? Out of a ups truck in it. The adapter I had was from Advanced Adapters.

It’s MP. Manual Positioning. Ha ha ha!

[ATTACH]2321[/ATTACH]

Hey c.captain I have the perfect accesory for your new project. A friend of mine has this belt fed 50 sitting in his gun shop. He won’t sell this one (he claims it is sentimental for some reason, I am not sure I want to know why) But he says he can get another one just like it for 12 grand.

He also has a 1919, I got to fire it a couple times in the past. Big fun that was ripping up a junk car sitting in a dirt pit.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;81580]Tarpon 140? Not bad, I like my Trident 13 so far.[/QUOTE]

Naaah Future Beach 144, looks just like a tarpon 140 without the tarpon price…only about $350 new.

Just to inform that the c.captain personal command and control vehicle completed her delivery voyage today between Auburn and Mt Vernon, WA. 102 miles nonstop without mishap or incident. Average speed made good was 34mph, avg. fuel burn was 7mpg for total f/o consumed of approx. 15 gallons of #1 motor petroleum. The vehicle is presently berthed in my driveway tonight and will be shifted to a lay berth tomorrow.

7 mPG ouch!!! Good to hear ya got it home without incident. I know anytime I buy a new rig the most dangourous trip is the one home.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;84299]7 mPG ouch!!! Good to hear ya got it home without incident. I know anytime I buy a new rig the most dangourous trip is the one home.[/QUOTE]

Luckily the weather was perfect for the voyage and the route taken was all on backroads to avoid getting lots of nasty honks and obscene gestures on the freeway.

The only machinery deficiencies were brakes that seem to alternate being strong and then weak and a tendency to not want to idle without the choke being partially pulled out. The ammeter also is not working so I didn’t know the battery was being charged as I drove but I know the alternator is putting out so no worries.

Fourth gear was very good for most speed ranges, fifth gear on flat ground was good for 50mph at 2500rpm (that’s seems to be the engines sweet spot). Of course, extremely stiff suspension but steering was not bad (it’s power assist). Very noisy in the cab but not excessive. High center of gravity for sharp corners in low gear. Haven’t tried to drive it yet with the transfer case in low range…she must crawl like a slug in it!