DWTF Manning requirement Exemptions are back did you apply?

I have sent a copy of my job offer that was recinded today with in an hour of bill being signed to
[B]Commandant of the Coast Guard [/B]

[B]Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr. I would say that is bending the law in a circle. also sent a copy of the email i received directly to Comander Scott Kim in Hawaii and my representives in congress i would recomend anyone with simular to do the same. Scott.H.Kim@uscg.mil [/B]

H.R.3619
Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 (Introduced in House - IH)
[B]SEC. 1115. OFFICER REQUIREMENTS FOR DISTANT WATER TUNA VESSELS.[/B]

[B]<DIR>[/B]Section 8103 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the follow new subsection:
`(l) Officer Requirements for Distant Water Tuna Vessels-

`(1) CITIZENSHIP- Notwithstanding subsection (a), a purse seine tuna fishing vessel documented under chapter 121 fishing exclusively for highly migratory species under a fishing license issued pursuant to the 1987 Treaty on Fisheries Between the Governments of Certain Pacific Islands States and the Government of the United States of America in the treaty area (as that term is used in that treaty), or transiting to or from the treaty area exclusively for such purpose, may engage an individual who is not a citizen of the United States to fill a vacancy in a position referred to in subsection (a) (except for the master) if, after timely public notice of the vacancy, no United States citizens are readily available to fill the vacancy. `(2) RESTRICTIONS- `(A) IN GENERAL- An individual may not be engaged under paragraph (1) unless the individual holds a valid license or certificate issued--

<DIR><DIR>(i) in accordance with the standards established by the 1995 amendments to the Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978 (STCW 95); and(ii) by an authority that the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating recognizes as imposing competency and training standards equivalent to or exceeding those required for a issued under chapter 71.

</DIR></DIR>`(B) LIMITATION ON APPLICATION- Paragraph (1) applies only to engagement of an individual on a vessel that–

`(i) is homeported in American Samoa, Guam, or the Northern Mariana Islands; and `(ii) has passed an annual commercial fishing vessel safety exam administered by a individual authorized to enforce this title. `(3) TREATMENT OF EQUIVALENT LICENSE- The Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating shall treat a license held by an individual engaged under paragraph (1) that was issued by a foreign government as meeting the requirements of section 8304 with respect to that engagement, if the Secretary determines that the standards for issuing that license are equivalent to the standards that apply under that section

</DIR></DIR></DIR>

Sounds like admiral papp is planning ahead to his cushy retirement. Its pretty obvious he’s in someone’s pocket. Self serving political whore.

[I]"…if, after timely public notice of the vacancy, no United States citizens are readily available to fill the vacancy."

[/I]Q: Who defines of “timely public notice” and “readily available”?
A: Employers of foreign sailors on U.S. flag vessels.

You should send the copy of your rescinded job offer to a labor law attorney as well. Seems to me that you are: 1. A US citizen, 2. Aware of a vacancy, and 3. Readily available. Hmm.

This is the same crap that is happening in the GoM and will happen to ALL US flagged vessels in the Proposed Rulemaking concerning the USCG Foreign STCW Certificates. Go to that thread and read the draft letter posted there and use it as a model or write your own, but WRITE something and send it in before the 27th. The only way to stop this shit from getting worse is to fight it with the pen and voice if given the chance.

[B][U]WE NEED TO WRITE TO FIGHT![/U][/B]
[B][/B]
And we need an American Professional Mariners Association that gives a CRAP! Forget NMA…they are stooges for the offshore industry (they are on the NOSAC board and never take a stand against the OMSA mafia!). They have never had any teeth, care mainly about towboatmen on the rivers and have no belly for a fight at all!

[QUOTE=dougpine;42474][I]"…if, after timely public notice of the vacancy, no United States citizens are readily available to fill the vacancy."[/I]

Q: Who defines of “timely public notice” and “readily available”?
A: Employers of foreign sailors on U.S. flag vessels.

You should send the copy of your rescinded job offer to a labor law attorney as well. Seems to me that you are: 1. A US citizen, 2. Aware of a vacancy, and 3. Readily available. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

I had a job offer three days ago on 28th Spet. 2010.
And today 1st Oct. 2010, they said the situation changed and the job disappeared.
Who should I appeal to? Obama?

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42483]
Who should I appeal to? Obama?[/QUOTE]

If we had a REAL professional association then a class action could be filed lumping together these jobs and all the GoM jobs held by foreigners…

Professional Associations are also called Guilds and are not unions before anyone starts to climb my frame over that old saw!

Who here would join a Guild if one was available? Probably no one because everybody is so scared of the blacklist boogeyman! Oh, they might see my name on a list and I won’t get the job. If everybody was on the list then the companies couldn’t do a damn thing about it but it is only a dream which will never happen because of FEAR!

You should send the copy of your rescinded job offer to a labor law attorney as well. Seems to me that you are: 1. A US citizen, 2. Aware of a vacancy, and 3. Readily available. Hmm.

I was coming over the pass today and came to the conclusion that I should get an attorney also, This might get it into the court system and correct a wrong and force them to comply, in total I sent resumes to 8 different management companies of these vessels. since the exemption expired in july Hold a 3000 ton Fishing vessel Masters License and have ran Fishing vessel the same size so i do believe I have most if not all of the qualifications.

Class action, Labor law attorney whatever it is, we need to voice to this BS.
We don’t know how many applied but at least the applied should’ve had jobs…

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42496]whatever it is, we need to voice to this BS[/QUOTE]

[B]YES…EXACTLY! We need an American Professional Mariners Association in this country to represent the interests of ALL men and women who make their livelihoods on the water…[/B]

[B]Not single voices, but a loud collective voice to cry BULLSHIT when it is being shovelled at us![/B]

There should also be some relief found by contacting the Department of Labor, thereby getting outside of “the box” of what appears to be some illigal smoke & mirrors by the employers and lots of looking the other way by the USCG. If a case has merit, I think the DOL will represent your case with a lawyer and go after the sinners on your behalf…play ever card possible.

[QUOTE=c.captain;42512][B]YES…EXACTLY! We need an American Professional Mariners Association in this country to represent the interests of ALL men and women who make their livelihoods on the water…[/B]

[B]Not single voices, but a loud collective voice to cry BULLSHIT when it is being shovelled at us![/B][/QUOTE]

Please make it happen…and then I can use my connections to ILWU if that can help…

Somewhat ironic is that in the same bill signed on 10/30 there was millions set aside for loans for training to train US Merchant Marine Offiicers. This whole thing stinks like there maybe some foul play.

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42518]Please make it happen…and then I can use my connections to ILWU if that can help…[/QUOTE]
It is being worked on as we speak but it can’t have the unions involved lest if become another mouthpiece for them. This one is going to have to stand on its own legs which is the hardest part to overcome since not only do mariners need to join in significant numbers but they need to pay an annual dues for membership. This will be necessary to 1) pay for a staff (as few as two) and 2) play the Washington game where it always takes some $$$ to be in the game but hopefully not a mountain of $$$. It is really sad but the game is so corrupt that just having a cause which is unassailable can’t get you very far if you’re fighting big money interests. Still any association however underfunded is better than no association at all. I know that if one victory was had by an association it would go a long way to getting members onboard and the STCW fight might be that test case.