Drivers liscense and mmd

Gentleman.
will a suspended or revoked drivers liscense prevent someone from getting his MMD?

Thanks.

In all likelihood, yes. Unless you have completed ALL the court imposed treatment, paid all the fines and can provide clear evidence that you don’t drink. One of the checks the CG does is a NDR. National Drivers Registry. It is Nationwide. And it don’t forget anything. Not EVER. They won’t take YOUR word for it.

Depends, was it for speeding or imbibing substances prior to operating a motor vehicle? If it was for imbibing, then Cappy is correct. DO NOT try and hide it. If it was for speeding, email ASKNMC…

It asks on the application if you ever had drivers license suspended for refusing to submit to a drug and alcohol test. It also asks about certain traffic violations. It doesnt state you cant get one, but be ready to write a good statement as to why it is suspended.

As they say, it depends on why. For example: (1) your driver’s license was suspended for DWI or drugs — then you definitely have a very big problem; (2) your driver’s license was suspended for nonpayment of child support —maybe, maybe not, I have no idea; (3) your license was suspended failure to carry liability insurance or failure to pay for the damages arising from an uninsured traffic accident — that probably isn’t a problem that cannot be solved; (4) your license was suspend for a failure to pay a traffic ticket — that can be solved by paying the tickets; or (5) your license was suspended for too many minor traffic tickets — that probably can be solved.

This is one of those situations where it would be very worthwhile to hire a license consultant to help you sort this out, and present the right information to the NMC in the most advantageous manner. Frankly, if you’re not willing to hire a licensing expert to represent you in this matter, then you are not serious about obtaining a MMC.

[QUOTE=Gunnrunner99;97905]Gentleman.
will a suspended or revoked drivers liscense prevent someone from getting his MMD?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

How long ago? From 46 CFR 10.213:

(b) The Coast Guard will not consider NDR-listed civil convictions that are more than three years old from the date of request unless that information relates to a current suspension or revocation of the applicant’s license to operate a motor vehicle.

If you don’t disclose the conviction, this no longer applies. Failure to answer honestly is another reason to deny the MMC.

Also, as was already noted, if it was in connection with drugs or alcohol, you’ll need to do more:

[46 CFR 10.213] (f) If an applicant has one or more alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed convictions, if the applicant has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the applicant applies before the minimum assessment period for his or her conviction has elapsed, the Coast Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable, in assessing the applicant’s suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard may consider other factors, which it judges appropriate to a particular applicant, such as:

(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;

(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;

(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;

(4) Steady employment; and

(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.

Thanks fellows for the quick replies. There seems to be some wiggle room. I guess that comes from applying one rule a variety of situations. I pray my situation won’t deep six my chances . I want to apologize for not being more specific plus its kinda embarrasing how big a dumbass I was. .Please allow me to give the details about my case. In the state of fla in 1996 I got my 5th and last dui. In 05 I got the last of seven tickets for driving while liscense suspended. I qualify for a hardship liscense. I have met all court requirements (classes and fines) Next month I am moving to AL and will try to get a liscense in that state. I have contacted a lawyer he tells me that he can get me one there once I establish residency since I have satisfied fla. What do you fellas think? If I can get a driver liscense can I get an MMD. Thank You All.