Drillship sea time

Currently working on a drillship in the GOM. Having trouble with the USCG recognizing the 12 hour work day on the drillship as time and half for sea service. Anybody have any suggestions on what could be done for them to recognize this?

no advice, but an observation: the same thing is happening to those of us who work on the Helix Producer 1 “HP1”. Maybe the USCG has changed the rules or something? it’s causing a lot of headaches…

[QUOTE=mattym67;53708]Currently working on a drillship in the GOM. Having trouble with the USCG recognizing the 12 hour work day on the drillship as time and half for sea service. Anybody have any suggestions on what could be done for them to recognize this?[/QUOTE]

There is no way around it. I’m sure you know guys that didn’t have any problem, but the regulations are 8 hour days for MODU’s. Nothing you can do really…NMC decided to start vetting application because everyone has been using 12 hours hour days wrongly…

HP-1 is not a MODU. Are you saying they are all the sudden not counting sea time for time and a half when we have all been working 12 hour days??? I am having enough trouble getting enough chief mate time to upgrade and now you tell me this???

It might not be officially allowed to make officers work 12 hour days, thus they will not count 12 hour days. Are your full 12 hours watchstanding?

yes, entire 12 hours is watchstanding

When I applied for my Master’s Unlimited 5 years ago I was denied the 1.5 sea time credit but a local REC (Long Beach). Some in the NMC agreed with the REC and some disagreed but all agreed the inconsistencies were unfair. A few at both the REC’s and NMC asked me to appeal, so that the matter could be settled once and for all, the problem was, if I appealed, there was a good chance the 1.5 sea time credit would be shut down for all mariners behind me.

So I shit canned the appeal but I was told that settling the issue has long been on the NMC’s to-do list.

I assume from this thread that someone high up has just checked this matter off the list.

(If anyone does decide to appeal the decision then email me… I have lots of documents for and against the sea time credit)

Depends on the class. If sailing under I class then officers are not suppose to stand a 12 hr watch they are suppose to be in a 3 watch schedule (4/8). What most companies do is that they count 4 of your watch hrs as overtime (lookout)(because most times you have two officers on watch at the same time). It’s a way to work around regulation. I know it’s done on OSV to when they switch from L class to I.
12hrs days are only allowed on a two watch schedule.

I’m definitely on a 2 watch system. I come on at 0001 and get off at 1200.