Dredge tender

I know this is a dumbass question but here goes.Would time as a deckhand on a tender boat count as time on a towing vessel? Thanks

If this is related to your other question, why not use that post so a reader can comment knowing your case?

what kind of tender? there’s three i can think of offhand. a fishing tender, a dredge tender, or a yacht tender. Oh yeah… a bartender!!!

as far as seatime it ALL counts toward time, but the small tonnage of a tender will really limit you in tonnage for whatever you want to get.

time on a tugboat ‘counts’ toward service for a towing vessel license having to do with the apprentice mate license.

Sorry I wasnt clearer. Time was on dredge tenders 35 footers. Well while I m asking I might as well ask you this. The time I worked on the dredge can be counted also cant it.Thanks for your response. Cappy.

I don’t think so. The vessel has to be register as a Towing Vessel in order to get towing time.

Thanks to you I have a better understanding of what will and what wont fly. It aint easy gettin into this buisness is it?

USCG keeps making it harder! But keep at it! If you want to get into towing get an AB job on a tug and get your time that way. Then you can get your apprentice mate (Steersman) and go from there.

Good Luck!

I got my AB on a dredge tug

Small world aint it.So I have run across a brother dredger. Good to Let me ask you something? I bet you miss those 12 hour days huh?. I was a dozerman on the dump of a suction dredge. So i should get my ab first then i can work my way up. Guess i put my cart before the horse.Thought getting my 100 ton was the first step in the process. I just finished my 6pack course waiting for a test date. Should I complete my 100ton masters course then get my AB then move up from there. If you would be an adviser to me in this matter I would be eternally greatful.

Your 100 ton won’t let you drive ANY tug at this time. But time as A.B. (on vessels OVER 50 ton) will count towards a 500 ton master license. That would be the way for you to drive a tug in a couple years.

Why are you choosing tugs now? You have a license. There are places to go get 100 ton jobs around the gulf coast. ( even in this tough economy)

[QUOTE=Gunnrunner;55461].Thought getting my 100 ton was the first step in the process. I just finished my 6pack course waiting for a test date.[/QUOTE]

What school? Most I have heard from you don’t even have to test out at the REC. The course completion certificates and sea time is all you need! Submit that, and you are given a license.

Just to be clear. I was fortunate enouigh to work with the company in long enough to work in all parts of the dredging process. You know how dredges operate you put fingerprints on each and everything and, then each and every part of everything. From pontoon lines ,to submerged lines, to changing pumps , to changing cutterheads. I can say i am an allaround hand. I have 840 days seatime

took the oupv at seaschool in panama city,fl had planned to take the 100 ton master next

Seaschool says I have to take the Coast Guard test pass then get my liscense. Then I can take the 100 ton masters course then appy for an upgrade. I wasn’t under the illusion that I could drive a tug right off the bat. Just want to be on the path to train to some day.

You do not need to get an oupv before getting a 100 ton. And you don’t need to get a 100 ton before going higher. I have heard of schools telling people that to sell more courses and it irritates me.

I took my 100 ton master/200 ton mate at Seaschool. Did all my testing there, even my first aid/cpr. All I had to do was take a physical and gather my seatime letters and submit my certificates. No testing at the REC. They did teach the classes OUPV, then 100 ton, then 200 ton, followed by apprentice mate steersman and western rivers. Just finish wherever you wanted to stop. There are other schools that teach 100 and 200 ton separately and in less time.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using gCaptain

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;55470]You do not need to get an oupv before getting a 100 ton. And you don’t need to get a 100 ton before going higher. I have heard of schools telling people that to sell more courses and it irritates me.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize that! That’s BS! Guys spending their hard earned money, and then having to take an overlapping course again.

Just wait until you have the requisite seatime and go for a 100 ton. skip the OUPV BS license. Or if you have enough time, over 50 tons, just go for the 500, 1600.

Gheesh I hate thieves. Especially preying on the unsuspecting, grabbing cash.

WTF.Sounds like I’ve been scammed. Spent $400.00 dollars on that course. Please explain to me what the steps are with my particular experience. Here is my information. I have 769 days sea time. The majority roughly 70% on 35 foot dredge tenders the remainder on the 112 ton push boat the Captain John G. Other than the oupv course I just completed I hold no other liscense or endorsements. Thanks for any help. Signed. Easy Pickens.

It depends on if you actually plan to use the oupv, or the 100 ton for that matter. If you don’t plan to use either then there is no point in getting either. If you don’t plan to use the oupv but do plan to use the 100 ton then you should have just gotten a 100 ton license, which I believe you are already qualified for. There is no need to start with an oupv.

If you are going to be a deckhand on a tug then just get your AB and start working. All sea time counts towards a 500 or 1600 ton license, but half if it has to be over 50 or 100 gross tons, respectively.

I believe you only need 720 days for a 500 ton mate license, with half over 50 tons. 1080 days for a 1600 ton mate, with half over 100 tons.

And you can go from AB straight to 500/1600 ton mate, no need to ever hold a smaller license…

That makes sense to me. So there is no advantage in having the 100 ton, and the AB. At this point the AB is really all that I need right?

If you specifically want to work on tugs, correct. There are jobs for 100 ton masters out there. Harbor cruise boats, for example. Also, there are operator jobs on crew boats and supply boats that only require a 100 ton license. It depends on what you want to do.