Draken and Tall Ships Challenge 2016

I didn’t know where to put this. The old volunteer thread re: the Draken came up in a search but it seemed confusing to revive that for this. The news is:

The Draken made it from Norway to Fairport, OH only to be hit with pilotage fees. They had been told pilotage was not necessary, but the story changed once they arrived to the Great Lakes.

“The Norwegian Viking Ship, Draken Harald Hårfagre, is forced to leave the Great Lakes and the Tall Ships Challenge 2016 due to the cost for pilotage.”

http://www.drakenexpeditionamerica.com/2016/07/12/draken-is-forced-to-leave-the-great-lakes-and-the-tall-ships-challenge-2016/

[QUOTE=ptero;187115]I didn’t know where to put this. The old volunteer thread re: the Draken came up in a search but it seemed confusing to revive that for this. The news is:

The Draken made it from Norway to Fairport, OH only to be hit with pilotage fees. They had been told pilotage was not necessary, but the story changed once they arrived to the Great Lakes.

“The Norwegian Viking Ship, Draken Harald Hårfagre, is forced to leave the Great Lakes and the Tall Ships Challenge 2016 due to the cost for pilotage.”

http://www.drakenexpeditionamerica.com/2016/07/12/draken-is-forced-to-leave-the-great-lakes-and-the-tall-ships-challenge-2016/[/QUOTE]

I presume this is to protect the people of the US from an invasion of marauding Vikings coming to claim he land they discovered 500 years before Columbus? Is Homeland Security involved here?

But seriously; would it be possible for some Great Lakes Pilots to volunteer their services on their time off, or would that be blocked by the Unions, the Pilot Authorities, or both??

I’m sure there are enough of them claiming Norwegian ancestry to find willing volunteers for such a noble task.

PS> I notice that the LOA is given as 35 m.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Harald_Fairhair
Maybe they could temporary remove the dragon head and get her to below 35 m. LOA, thus meeting the regulations?

Well, this is a completely ridiculous state of affairs, smacking of lawyers and greed. A band of brave people from Scandinavia cross the ocean on a marvelous adventure only to be greeted by a bunch of robbers…[I]Hey, wait a minute! [/I]Weren’t the Vikings a bunch of Scandinavian robbers who crossed the ocean to steal from the natives?!
All joking aside:
All the pilots need to do is donate their time for a token payment. It’s called “volunteer work” and professionals, like doctors and lawyers, do it all the time. Look it up. One of two things are happening here: the pilots are just greedy, or their lawyers are advising them that what they do for one vessel they’ll have to do for all. Probably a combination of both. In any case, there is always a way out. Amend the rules. If they are Federal rules, a call to a congressman and the USCG COTP changes things quickly, especially if the Press is involved. Generally, I’m the opposite of most posters here. I’m not a cynic. But in this case I have to say greed and laziness are the only impediments.

[QUOTE=freighterman;187138]Well, this is a completely ridiculous state of affairs, smacking of lawyers and greed. A band of brave people from Scandinavia cross the ocean on a marvelous adventure only to be greeted by a bunch of robbers…[I]Hey, wait a minute! [/I]Weren’t the Vikings a bunch of Scandinavian robbers who crossed the ocean to steal from the natives?!
All joking aside:
All the pilots need to do is donate their time for a token payment. It’s called “volunteer work” and professionals, like doctors and lawyers, do it all the time. Look it up. One of two things are happening here: the pilots are just greedy, or their lawyers are advising them that what they do for one vessel they’ll have to do for all. Probably a combination of both. In any case, there is always a way out. Amend the rules. If they are Federal rules, a call to a congressman and the USCG COTP changes things quickly, especially if the Press is involved. Generally, I’m the opposite of most posters here. I’m not a cynic. But in this case I have to say greed and laziness are the only impediments.[/QUOTE]

In America they were looking for timber for their colonies in Greenland and possible trade with the “skraeling”.

If the "less than 35 m. LOA is an actual rule, some “innovative” re-measuring to 34.99 m. may do the trick.

[QUOTE=ombugge;187139]In America they were looking for timber for their colonies in Greenland and possible trade with the “skraeling”.[/QUOTE]
Leif Ericksen to “Vinland” Indians, circa 1000 AD “Oh, [I]that[/I] Lindisfarne!You heard about that? Fricken Lamestream Media. It was a prank really. Some of the lads, you know, had a bit to drink, this and that, throw in some nuns, and you’ve got a party, know what I’m saying? Like the English don’t get pissed every Saturday night–and burn down a monastery and slaughter everyone. [Leif winks]…Well anyhoo, we were wondering if you had any trees you wanted to sell, and… wait a minute. I’ve got a GREAT idea! Why don’t you guys come over to MY house! Yeah! Back in Greenland! Dude! It’s like Maui. Only North! And we’ll throw in this bling for your wrists! Here, let me help you on with those. Those chains are heavy–real iron, did I tell you?”

Does anyone know if the other tall ships have to pay pilotage fees? And is the rule solely on length? I think this might be my first post.

[QUOTE=Lobsterlobber;187173]Does anyone know if the other tall ships have to pay pilotage fees? And is the rule solely on length? I think this might be my first post.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen anything indicating yes or no. I also can’t figure out if a “Commercial” designation is part of it or not. Somewhere ISTR seeing a reference to being called commercial and being lumped into that world regarding either the requirement for pilotage or the fee structure. I can’t find where I saw that.

From an article in the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, they are saying they have no discretion, it would take an act of Congress to waive the pilotage.

Ok. How about a break on the fee?

The U.S. Coast Guard says it doesn’t have the authority to give the world’s largest Viking ship an exemption from a law that requires all ships navigating the Great Lakes under a foreign flag to have a pilot on board. Only Congress could do that.

“The 56-year-old law has applied for every Tall Ship event in the Great Lakes, and we are pretty confident they were informed they needed pilotage,” Thomas said. “They received accurate information from Canada, but essentially extended that to apply to U.S. waters, and that is the crux of the issue. The perception is that the Coast Guard granted a waiver and then retracted it. We never administered an exception. It is the law, and we have no discretion.”

There is no such problem for the El Galeon Andalusia, a Spanish ship heading to the Duluth event in August. It did secure a pilot, who can run as high as $400 per hour. Thomas said Draken officials are not upset with the idea of having a pilot, “just the fee,” he said.

They should be required to take a pilot. Commercial or not shouldn’t matter. What matters is the size of the vessel.

Also if we allow this ship to come into our waters it could encourage other Norse migrants and refugees to come via Longship. From what I hear in the media they are all rapists and plunderers and they will raid our villages.

With such a robust economy the fees should be a drop in the bucket for these Norwegians. Chump change.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;187184]Also if we allow this ship to come into our waters it could encourage other Norse migrants and refugees to come via Longship. From what I hear in the media they are all rapists and plunderers and they will raid our villages.[/QUOTE]

Hysterical. So here we have the answer: charge the overcrowded wooden barqs which don’t meet the minimum safety standards an exorbitant pilotage fee. Thence, they will meekly sail back home.

Dear Greco-Rome, My advise to you is to reclassify this “Mediterranean Sea” as “Lake Mediterranean.” Also recommend installing locks at Bosphoras, Dardenelles, an Gibralter. You have the full support of Canada in this. We are sending Gordon Lightfoot to write a ballad about the poor, unseaworthy tragedies launched by your southern neighbors. Godspeed, ya poor bastards.

1 Like

[QUOTE=z-drive;187185]With such a robust economy the fees should be a drop in the bucket for these Norwegians. Chump change.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think that is only fair. We have to support our impoverished brethren across the sea, otherwise how are they ever going to be able to pay their depth to China?

Oh, Ombrugge, you have been victimized by autocorrect, it seems. Our debt to china is not our depth. That is bordering on something that will not be allowed here.

May I call on your expertise in all things Norwegian? The resident engineer here in Lobster-Land said that he was surprised that the ship was made using traditional Viking technology, as it is very wasteful of trees. He says that they would only get one plank per tree. (Which, surprisingly, was also portrayed on “Vikings” -aka “Seaborne Sons of Anarchy.”) Do you know if they made it this way, or modernized that aspect of the construction. I live in California, but am almost tempted to travel to see it. If they decide to go to a port in Minnesota, I will be sorely tempted, because my Mom was from MN. But, sadly, no Norwegians in my family tree. The best I can hope for is a Helga Hat.

Yes, the %7.2 the Chinese hold of the %34 of debt held by foreign governments. Everyone acts like %95 of all debt is held by China.

[QUOTE=Lobsterlobber;187193]Oh, Ombrugge, you have been victimized by autocorrect, it seems. Our debt to china is not our depth. That is bordering on something that will not be allowed here.

May I call on your expertise in all things Norwegian? The resident engineer here in Lobster-Land said that he was surprised that the ship was made using traditional Viking technology, as it is very wasteful of trees. He says that they would only get one plank per tree. (Which, surprisingly, was also portrayed on “Vikings” -aka “Seaborne Sons of Anarchy.”) Do you know if they made it this way, or modernized that aspect of the construction. I live in California, but am almost tempted to travel to see it. If they decide to go to a port in Minnesota, I will be sorely tempted, because my Mom was from MN. But, sadly, no Norwegians in my family tree. The best I can hope for is a Helga Hat.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about misspelling, it shall never happen again. (To me or anyone else on this forum)
My excuse is; it was earl morning and I was in a hurry.

As for the building method of this vessel I know nothing, but I’ll try to Google it when I get home.
If it could be “one plank per tree” would depend on the size of tree and plank I would think.
Remember Norway spend more on protecting the rain forest then anybody else, at least per capita.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;187188]Hysterical. So here we have the answer: charge the overcrowded wooden barqs which don’t meet the minimum safety standards an exorbitant pilotage fee. Thence, they will meekly sail back home.

Dear Greco-Rome, My advise to you is to reclassify this “Mediterranean Sea” as “Lake Mediterranean.” Also recommend installing locks at Bosphoras, Dardenelles, an Gibralter. You have the full support of Canada in this. We are sending Gordon Lightfoot to write a ballad about the poor, unseaworthy tragedies launched by your southern neighbors. Godspeed, ya poor bastards.[/QUOTE]

I say let the wild drunken Viking louts go free of charge by themselves. They probably won’t be able to follow the treacherous channel. When they run aground, we impound the vessel and turn it into a tourist attraction with Disney providing the costumes for the actors portraying authentic Vikings. The original crew would be deported of course as they have no work visas. Replace Gordon Lightfoot with Bieber as a nod to the Canadian side of the waterway. Ombugge could be hired as foreign consultant to prevent him from crying foul. It’s a one in a life time opportunity to punish the pesky Nordics for their superiority complex and lack of navigational skills.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;187215] Replace Gordon Lightfoot with Bieber as a nod to the Canadian side of the waterway.[/QUOTE]

Really? Where do I file this hurt feelings report? So offended.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;187228]Really? Where do I file this hurt feelings report? So offended.[/QUOTE]

Don’t be. It’s just smart marketing. You have to scalp the youth before they get wise and stop squandering their money.
When’s the last time Lightfoot had a hit?

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;187230]Don’t be. It’s just smart marketing. You have to scalp the youth before they get wise and stop squandering their money.
When’s the last time Lightfoot had a hit?[/QUOTE]

Why are you trying to compare a musician with a wal-mart manikin? Get off my lawn, kid.