Does Gary Chouest REALLY need another shipyard?

Vertical monopoly used to create a horizontal monopoly. They’ll be the only game in town by 2020.

I guess it’s a good thing I don’t work for Chouest. However, if most of the new, big OSV’s are currently still working anyways, and covered by UWILD, I was referring more to the 240-280 class OSV’s which have been almost 100% stacked and will need interims, 5 years, and just getting put back into running order after sitting aground for 1-3 years (depending on when things turn around). Who knows, maybe Chouest will own a couple more yards by then…

No quick recovery in sight but I’m thinking the personnel crunch will bite everyone in the ass before drydock availability.

I’ll second that

[QUOTE=MASSAILOR;178894]I guess it’s a good thing I don’t work for Chouest. However, if most of the new, big OSV’s are currently still working anyways, and covered by UWILD, I was referring more to the 240-280 class OSV’s which have been almost 100% stacked and will need interims, 5 years, and just getting put back into running order after sitting aground for 1-3 years (depending on when things turn around). Who knows, maybe Chouest will own a couple more yards by then…[/QUOTE]

What is UWILD?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;178896]No quick recovery in sight but I’m thinking the personnel crunch will bite everyone in the ass before drydock availability.[/QUOTE]

What personnel crunch? All they have to do is offer big money and all those button mashers who are now stooping to working for peanuts on tugs will come running back to OSVs.

Under Water Inspection in Lieu of Drydock

All the jeaux bosses will see the recovery coming years in advance like they did the downturn and be ready to roll.

Do you really think they’ll let class go on stacked boats? I doubt it.

I was working for one of the major OSV companies who let the CoC expire on a boat that was currently working. It was expired when I got on board and the reply was “we know, the boat is for sale”, so yes; I do think these companies will let a lot expire if the boats are in the mud for any period of time. Not being argumentative, but I imagine those stacked fleets are a dismal situation and will continue to get worse.

Also, I dont think they saw this downturn coming years in advance, which is why some companies have stacked 60% of their fleets and laid off half of their workers while seeing shares fall 90% in 2 years and still having to deliver new vessels.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;178890]OMG you revealed the master plan, hope you are looking over both shoulders now.

Other operators possess their own shipyards or drydocks. I would guess all of the new tonnage GOM wide will be put to work first. Since just about all were classed UWILD and built in the last couple of years it will be '18 and beyond before a mandatory haul out. Plenty of time to stagger all of the equipment through available drydocks. Everyone knew about the Bollinger deal long before it was official and everyone prepared accordingly. Gary has made it a little difficult but no one is gonna lose any contracts.[/QUOTE]

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST! I had forgotten that Vito also owns all the Bollinger yards now as well. THE MAN IS A FUCKING MEGLOMANIAC…!

as you should know we take any chance to talk shit about jeaux boss. You missed the sarcasm!

[QUOTE=z-drive;178916]as you should know we take any chance to talk shit about jeaux boss. You missed the sarcasm![/QUOTE]

YEA-AH BROTHER! We don’t tolerate Jeaux Bawss one iota here and lambaste anyone who tries to support his ways.

With so many dry docks under Chouest ownership, and a drop off in business for shipyards as vessels are cold stacked and building collapses, Chouest will dry dock his vessels and has them ready to go for the next upturn.

Better yet, we taxpayers are subsidizing it.

[QUOTE=MASSAILOR;178894]I guess it’s a good thing I don’t work for Chouest. However, if most of the new, big OSV’s are currently still working anyways, and covered by UWILD, I was referring more to the 240-280 class OSV’s which have been almost 100% stacked and will need interims, 5 years, and just getting put back into running order after sitting aground for 1-3 years (depending on when things turn around). Who knows, maybe Chouest will own a couple more yards by then…[/QUOTE]

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you DO work for Chouest. We ALL do.

The difference is that some of us KNOW this.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;178886]Getting back to the subject at hand, Chouest already had a shipyard (Gulfship) there in Gulfport. Does this mean they will have 2 or will they merge them into 1 facility?

Just wondering…[/QUOTE]He laid off 800 on Friday and hired a 1000 Monday with gubimint money.

[QUOTE=Bilgeman;178946]I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you DO work for Chouest. We ALL do.

The difference is that some of us KNOW this.[/QUOTE]

How do figure that we all work for Chouest?

I do not work for Chouest. I’m not a young triathlete with moviestar teeth; I couldn’t pass the physical.

and neither do I nor better than 95% of American mariners!

I’m not a young triathlete with moviestar teeth; I couldn’t pass the physical.

they had to be running a double standard with local Bayou neanderthals getting a much easier one to pass…

They had some rather peculiar looking specimens hanging around in the lobby of personnel.

Not sure how big a boat they’re gonna get that far up Bayou Bernard. There’s used to be a shallow spot down by Lorraine Rd., unless the guvvermint threw in a free dredging contract too…

Anyway, good luck. glad something is happening.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178962]How do figure that we all work for Chouest?

I do not work for Chouest. I’m not a young triathlete with moviestar teeth; I couldn’t pass the physical.[/QUOTE]

While ECO may be privately held, this doesn’t mean that G-Money cannot also buy chunks of stock in his “competition”, right?

If you were he, would you not do so? A nice enough chunk of equity stake would mean at least a veto over the “competition’s” management team.

He didn’t get where he is without SOME strategic thinking on his part, yes?
It’s a speculation on my part, but not an unreasonable one, I think.

H[QUOTE=Bilgeman;179170]While ECO may be privately held, this doesn’t mean that G-Money cannot also buy chunks of stock in his “competition”, right?

If you were he, would you not do so? A nice enough chunk of equity stake would mean at least a veto over the “competition’s” management team.

He didn’t get where he is without SOME strategic thinking on his part, yes?
It’s a speculation on my part, but not an unreasonable one, I think.[/QUOTE]

If he buys, or even intends to buy, over 5 percent of any public company, SEC rules require that he file a notice which is public. You can test your theory by checking the SEC filings. Actually, you don’t need to, because if he had filed such a notice, we would be talking about it.

Furthermore, most of us do not work for public companies.

Look like the Chouest family will have to cough up a bit of money to assist Island Offshore to ride out the crisis:

(Sorry, only in Norwegian, but hopefully Google translate doesn’t make too many funny mistakes)

The “flagship”, Island Venture is still at Ulsteinvik:
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/ISLAND-VENTURE-IMO-9721786-MMSI-257221000

Doing seatrails in November last year she should have been delivered a long time ago, but I don’t see anything of that having occurred: http://gcaptain.com/photos-ocv-island-venture-nearing-completion-in-norway/

She is still listed on the “Delivery Programme” for delivery in 2016 on the Island Offshore website: http://www.islandoffshore.com/fleet/fleet-overview