Does anybody buy stock in the company they work for?

Just wondering?

Is HOS offering an employee discount? I would say spend what you can afford, but don’t let your love of working for them make you keep it if it’s not performing. Unfortunately HOS does not pay any dividends, so if they give you a discount as soon as you can sell it if its on the way up as there is no real reason to hold it.

I wish I had taken advantage of 15% discount that Seacor gives when I was with them. Especially when it was selling at $75 and under and was able to sell it when it hit $110.

Right now is a great time to buy any offshore energy related stock. Boat, Drilling, Service Providers. Most just posted some down numbers for the quarter, but I feel that this time next year after the elections are over we will see huge gains in the energy sector.

Yeah they do.(15%) off. I looked back and the stock fell to 11.00 something a share in 08. Now it’s at 56 I think. what a jump! I may buy some each payday don’t know yet.

15% discount sounds like a good deal to me. If you are going to invest in any stock, its usually a good idea to “dollar cost average.” That is, buy the same number of dollars worth each time at a fixed interval (such as every pay period). That way you spread out your purchases to avoid the risk of buying it all at a high and then seeing it fall. You might also want to buy it through a 401k or IRA so you don’t need to worry about taxes.

I won’t pretend to know anything about Hornbeck’s financials, or to be any sort of stockpicker, but it seems like the next few years should be good for the boat companies like Hornbeck.

HOS gives 15% off the lowest price based on the first day or the last day of the quarter closing price. Whichever of those two days was lower you get 15 off that price. It’s like 401k you authorize a % to be held out of your check. They buy the stock for you at the end of the quarter.

WOW! that’s pretty cool.