Document question concerning employment

I am waiting for my license from my school. I have been talking to MMP and AMO about possibly joining one of them. They both have asked that I have my license,fcc with me when I join. They also want my other documents such as drug testing letter, radar, etc. How am I going to get these from my school? I have never heard of them sending everyone all of their documents from the courses they took during their career. I thought the new style license took care of a lot of the documents.

I don’t know where you went to school, but you should be able to get certificates out of the department - for deckside it would be things like AFF, GMDSS, Tankship, BRM, Radar, ARPA, etc. You can try to get a drug testing letter out of the school, but they’re only good for 6 months, so if you graduated in May, it will expire in November.

[I][quote=woapba;18324]I am waiting for my license from my school. I have been talking to MMP and AMO about possibly joining one of them. They both have asked that I have my license,fcc with me when I join. They also want my other documents such as drug testing letter, radar, etc. How am I going to get these from my school? I have never heard of them sending everyone all of their documents from the courses they took during their career. I thought the new style license took care of a lot of the documents.[/quote][/I]

By 'school" do you mean one of the maritime academies? If so, you should get a radar training certificate in the graduation package with your MMC, as should your FCC licenses. Also, your MMC should note “Radar Observer”, although it doesn’t have an expiration date, it should be apparent that a new 3rd Mate on their newly-issued first license is still current.

Drug-testing varies. Some academies have a random program and they will be able to generate a letter. In any event, your application had to include a drug test. Use that same record. If the academy prepared your application package, get what you need from them. You should have all this stuff, talk to the academy’s contact for the Coast Guard licensing.

When you follow up, make sure they give you a certificate for the tanker course you took. If you get on a tanker and go for a PIC endorsement within the next five years you’re going to need that as well.